Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 PM

288 posts, read 926,225 times

Advertisements

I work at local private school. We were planning a big event for Veteran's Day, but now it has snuck up on us and we don't have much going . We really want to turn this day into a truly touching and teaching opportunity for our students. We are going to start the day with lessons in each individual classroom, followed by giving every student a flag and praying for our service men and women. We will then put the flags all around the drive of the school. In the afternoon we would like to have an assembly for all of our students in k4-12th grade. This is where we need help! Anyone have ideas? We were hoping to either have a wounded vet come and speak or we can set-up video conferencing. We would also like veterans from different branches to attend so they can explain what they do in their branch. Anything else??? How can we find contact information for these men and women? I know we have students who have parents that have served, but I would like to invite them to be honored rather than to speak. Any help is truly, truly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times
maybe you can contact the VA or some of the local retirement communities. Probably several vets living there with some interesting stories to tell. The staff might be able to connect you with someone

Been to some ceremonies where they had the kids read a short essay they wrote on what Veteran's Day means to them. That really chokes up the crowd...out of the mouth of babes and all that

Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
talk to the music teacher at your school...I teach our kids each song of the five military branches. Caissons Go Rolling Along, etc. Invite parents to the performance and ask them to stand when their branch is saluted in song. There are tons of patriotic songs for the kids to learn...and even incorporate a flag routine into the program.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:47 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
Contact the Center For The Intrepid on Ft Sam. They may be able to get you someone.......it's associated with BAMC.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:09 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,421 times
Perhaps you can get a veteran from each of the armed services to show up with their flags and have them enter the assembly with the color guard. The color guard would stand in the middle of the stage and the veterans would fan out on either side.

You can have the band or the choir sing the respective songs for each branch and have any veterans in the audience stand to be recognized.

Find some appropriate readings and have students read them. If you had time to come up with a skit or find a skit, that would be nice, too. There is one called "Letter from Michael" or "Letters from Soldiers" that comes to mind.

We have searched for years for the St. Michael prayer that saved a soldier in the Korean War, told in the true story of a Marine Named Michael.* Now we have found this extraordinary prayer...

www1.va.gov/opa/vetsday/docs/schoolkit.pdf

When my kids were in private school, the Veteran's Day programs were always so moving. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:05 AM

116 posts, read 352,778 times
You can also contact Lackland PA and ask about their Honor Guard coming in and maybe doing a demonstration if they are available. Or even check with some of the High School JROTC programs for the same!

My daughter's school is doing a parade and they are having each service march together. They also did a form with a space for pictures that said "My Hero" and it listed names/branch of service/years of service and posted them in the hall where all can see.

As a veteran myself, and a military spouse I appreciate events like this, and I'm sure you'll do a wonderful program!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
I work at local private school. We were planning a big event for Veteran's Day, but now it has snuck up on us and we don't have much going . We really want to turn this day into a truly touching and teaching opportunity for our students. We are going to start the day with lessons in each individual classroom, followed by giving every student a flag and praying for our service men and women. We will then put the flags all around the drive of the school. In the afternoon we would like to have an assembly for all of our students in k4-12th grade. This is where we need help! Anyone have ideas? We were hoping to either have a wounded vet come and speak or we can set-up video conferencing. We would also like veterans from different branches to attend so they can explain what they do in their branch. Anything else??? How can we find contact information for these men and women? I know we have students who have parents that have served, but I would like to invite them to be honored rather than to speak. Any help is truly, truly appreciated!!
Oh I forgot, when you said how can we contact these people: Public Affairs (Lackland, Fort Sam, BAMC, Wilford Hall, Center for Intrepid, and even the Veterans Administration may be able to assist if you want to find a veteran from an older war). And that might be something else that would be nice is to invite some older veterans to watch/participate as sometimes they are "forgotten". You can contact local VFW posts and American Legion posts as well! Good luck!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 AM

872 posts, read 1,855,772 times
If you can't find numbers on Lackland call 671-1110 for base info.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
The posters in the Education forum of CD may have some solid lesson plans and ideas as well.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
If you can't find numbers on Lackland call 671-1110 for base info.
Here are the other numbers you can try (sorry 1st thing in the morning and I'm not all there LOL):

37th Training Wing Public Affairs (Lackland)
Phone: (210) 671-2907

Fort Sam Houston Public Affairs
(210) 221-1099/1151

BAMC
Chief, Public Affairs: (210) 808-4005
Community Relations
: (210) 808-4018
Media Relations: (210) 808-4015

WHMC Public Affairs
(210) 292-7688

Last edited by LilZ_098; 11-05-2009 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: formatting showing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio