U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-05-2009, 11:11 AM

13,805 posts, read 18,834,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLumbergh View Post
If you understand the precepts of risk management, then you would understand that a clientele of military officers is a relatively safe and lucrative bunch to insure. Well educated, well paid and under the supervision of a far more accountable legal system than the civilian. USAA was not conceived as a 19th century social-club for the officer class - it was developed to serve a specific market that was being denied equitable insurance. The insurance needs of the typical officer and the typical enlisted member of the 1950s was certainly different. Things have changed since then, and so has the company.

This policy enabled USAA to grow to the company it is today - clearly something better than the ubiquitous and poor-quality military credit unions or sales-surancemen. I doubt they will miss your business much, but you really should pop out of your shell and give them a look - they are a SUPERLATIVE financial institution, and you have earned the right to membership through your service.
even though I don't need to justify my own personal decisions, I'll throw this out.. they didn't change the officers only rule until recently. Most of the time I served they still did not allow us to join. Will they miss my business? probably not. Will I ever do business with them no matter what anyone else says? definitely not
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 11:13 AM

5,081 posts, read 7,664,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Their rates are a bit higher than others, but man, whenever I've needed them for a claim on the house, they've come through big time. The coverage and service is great.
Strangely enough, when a huge hailstorm hit my neighborhood a few years ago there were two houses that had their hail claims denied. The one I bought and the one next door. Looked at by the same adjuster for the insurance company mentioned in the title to this thread.

But I was talking about car insurance. They came out about $600/year higher.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 AM

21,392 posts, read 23,105,941 times
cobolt: I used to have a great CC with Capital One, very low interest rate, no fees etc. They cancelled it for not enough use. But I need secondary CC in case the one I have will be denied for any reason. Recently I saw a billboard with an ad from Security Service - 8% interest rate which isn't to bad. I went to one of their branches ( in Schertz) on Saturday and applied. I was approved instantly and they set up for me everything including Internet access. Two weeks later I received my card per mail. Now I just have to make sure that I use it more frequently

Old 11-05-2009, 11:46 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,116,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Thanks. I was thinking that as well as I do also belong to a credit union. Just looking at all the options.
It's good you're looking at all options See post #23 on Security Service from another poster. Good luck! You can check out Randolph Brooks and Firstmark as well and see what they have.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:25 PM

62 posts, read 86,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
even though I don't need to justify my own personal decisions, I'll throw this out.. they didn't change the officers only rule until recently. Most of the time I served they still did not allow us to join. Will they miss my business? probably not. Will I ever do business with them no matter what anyone else says? definitely not
Fair enough.... we should all enjoy the ability to choose our own banks and insurance. And health insurance... right?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:39 PM

21,392 posts, read 23,105,941 times
Quote:
And health insurance... right?
oh, don't get it started!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:11 PM

872 posts, read 1,087,509 times
Got to say I'm surprised by your stance rd. Yes, it took the company some time but they did come around. I, a prior enlisted officer, have always loved doing business with USAA.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,956,997 times
I applied online for a job at USAA about a month ago.

Guess it's time to apply again!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:16 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,668,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Does anyone have a CC with USAA? I bank with them but don't have their CC. I'm looking to get out of my current CC, which is now held by evil BOA. BOA is looking at charging an anual fee for CC holders, even those who have never been late, delinquent, or pay off their total balances at the end of the month.
yes...i HAD a credit card with USAA bank for many years ---

a platinum visa for 18years ---

i have always been very responsible with my cc's ... i always pay more than the minimum and i always make a payment every month, even though it may say no payment is needed ---

over the years USAA kept increasing my limit ... on their own, i never requested a credit increase --- eventually my limit was $25,000

about a month ago i got a letter in the mail from USAA bank saying that they were decreasing my limit to $2,500 ...

off to make my call to see what was going on --- at first they told me it was due to my credit report --- which i pulled before i called them --- i explained that nothing had changed on my report --- i explained that yes, i had more credit inquires than usual, but we bought a house last year and so i had mortgage companies, home builders, insurance companies running credit scores ...

i explained how my current balance was $1300 and i have always been a responsible card holder ... so why the drastic decrease --- the rep. said she would put it thru to underwriting --- a week later they got back to me and said that in my file review it was found that in the last 2 years my balance has never been over $2500 ... so they decreased my limit to protect themselves --- that with the economic times they were trying to prevent people from charging up a storm...WHAT?!?!? --- i have never come near using my credit limit --- i have always made higher payments than usual and have never been late --- i have paid that card off on numerous occasions and carried a 0 balance many times --- so basically i was being punished for being a responsible card holder ---

needless to say after 18years as a card holder and after being an employee for 12years i cancelled my credit card with USAA bank ... will they miss me??? not at all --- but it was the priciple of the matter ...

Old 11-05-2009, 03:21 PM

116 posts, read 230,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Strangely enough, when a huge hailstorm hit my neighborhood a few years ago there were two houses that had their hail claims denied. The one I bought and the one next door. Looked at by the same adjuster for the insurance company mentioned in the title to this thread.

But I was talking about car insurance. They came out about $600/year higher.
We actually changed our car insurance to another provider this past cycle and saved $200/yr. When we called USAA to let them know they said they had a high number of folks leaving (rates had jumped up) to save money. Could this be the reason for the "expansion" to another customer base?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio