Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLumbergh View Post
If you understand the precepts of risk management, then you would understand that a clientele of military officers is a relatively safe and lucrative bunch to insure. Well educated, well paid and under the supervision of a far more accountable legal system than the civilian. USAA was not conceived as a 19th century social-club for the officer class - it was developed to serve a specific market that was being denied equitable insurance. The insurance needs of the typical officer and the typical enlisted member of the 1950s was certainly different. Things have changed since then, and so has the company.

This policy enabled USAA to grow to the company it is today - clearly something better than the ubiquitous and poor-quality military credit unions or sales-surancemen. I doubt they will miss your business much, but you really should pop out of your shell and give them a look - they are a SUPERLATIVE financial institution, and you have earned the right to membership through your service.
Very nicely stated.

And nothing having to do with USAA whatsoever, the military has always had a strict rule about enlisted fraternizing with superior officers. There always has been a group distinction. It wasn't about snobbery or classism....it was to ensure that in life and death situations that there was a very clear boundary....period. As a kid growing up as an Air Force brat, I didn't understand that policy and it didn't set well with me. As an adult, when looking at the intensity of having respect for authority in hostile situations, I'm glad it's there....otherwise, man/woman/officer/enlisted....truly a "band of brothers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 PM

872 posts, read 1,856,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
yes...i HAD a credit card with USAA bank for many years ---

a platinum visa for 18years ---

i have always been very responsible with my cc's ... i always pay more than the minimum and i always make a payment every month, even though it may say no payment is needed ---

over the years USAA kept increasing my limit ... on their own, i never requested a credit increase --- eventually my limit was $25,000

about a month ago i got a letter in the mail from USAA bank saying that they were decreasing my limit to $2,500 ...

off to make my call to see what was going on --- at first they told me it was due to my credit report --- which i pulled before i called them --- i explained that nothing had changed on my report --- i explained that yes, i had more credit inquires than usual, but we bought a house last year and so i had mortgage companies, home builders, insurance companies running credit scores ...

i explained how my current balance was $1300 and i have always been a responsible card holder ... so why the drastic decrease --- the rep. said she would put it thru to underwriting --- a week later they got back to me and said that in my file review it was found that in the last 2 years my balance has never been over $2500 ... so they decreased my limit to protect themselves --- that with the economic times they were trying to prevent people from charging up a storm...WHAT?!?!? --- i have never come near using my credit limit --- i have always made higher payments than usual and have never been late --- i have paid that card off on numerous occasions and carried a 0 balance many times --- so basically i was being punished for being a responsible card holder ---

needless to say after 18years as a card holder and after being an employee for 12years i cancelled my credit card with USAA bank ... will they miss me??? not at all --- but it was the priciple of the matter ...
Seems like a sound business move on their part. Hasn't happened to me and I always pay off my balance...limit is about $20K, typically put about $3K-ish on it a month and pay it off. I'd like to see my limit reduced by them!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
Their customer service is great, A all the way, but that's about it...

I guess it's touches ones heart when customer service is always there for them. The people on the phone are so nice, attentive and cooperative, blah blah blah, but it all comes down to money for me and savings.

I get in a little accident and premiums rise 45%. I'm just a little bitter. I will definitely be searching for someone else. They couldn't even match the finance car loans I got a couple years back when I was really looking for a lender and hoping to deal with them. They couldn't really even come close. Eh, screw em.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:03 AM

872 posts, read 1,856,423 times
Sometimes they beat rates sometimes they don't. I had my mortgage with them but did a re-fi with a different place because USAA couldn't match it. They eventually did come on down but it was too late to keep my mortgage.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:45 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
I had an issue on my account a few months ago with a db card that never arrived, I wanted to speak with a manager since nobody was helping me. Well it turns out managers dont want to talk to you but a sr rep speaks with you on behalf of the manager, still asked for a manager to call me and nothing. Dont think that is great customer service.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:48 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
We "fired" USAA about 3-4 years ago, after a minor accident. Turns out that the rental car had been dropped by mistake by me after having carried it for 15+ years. Talked to everyone I could, but they let me know that there was "nothing that could be done". Fine - I paid the $300 rental charges and switched ALL our insurance to another carrier. Funny part is that the new carrier (Germania) gave us a better price with higher coverages! One other REALLY nice thing - no more having to replace the insurance cards every 6 months - that used to REALLY drive me up a wall - like I didn't have anything better to do than to remember to replace cards every 6 months.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
We "fired" USAA about 3-4 years ago, after a minor accident. Turns out that the rental car had been dropped by mistake by me after having carried it for 15+ years. Talked to everyone I could, but they let me know that there was "nothing that could be done". Fine - I paid the $300 rental charges and switched ALL our insurance to another carrier. Funny part is that the new carrier (Germania) gave us a better price with higher coverages! One other REALLY nice thing - no more having to replace the insurance cards every 6 months - that used to REALLY drive me up a wall - like I didn't have anything better to do than to remember to replace cards every 6 months.
Texas you are right I hate to do that also, I have been a member for more than 15 yrs and had been happy till recently. I know the bank has many issues to work on.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
If you have ever served, you can become a member. However, if you are the widow of someone who served, you can't. My MIL can't get USAA because her husband is deceased. However, if he was alive, she could, even if they were divorced. Doesn't make sense.

I've had USAA for years, thanks to dad being USAF. Never had any problems getting service or having premiums go up due to claims. LOL at least not so far.....

Old 11-07-2009, 08:59 PM

129 posts, read 335,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
If you have ever served, you can become a member.
To clarify, only honorably discharged veterans may join USAA due to this change. There are many veterans who will not be able to join due to their discharge characterization.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:57 PM

4,328 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
To clarify, only honorably discharged veterans may join USAA due to this change. There are many veterans who will not be able to join due to their discharge characterization.
Are there really that many members of the Armed Forces that are discharged with a classification other than "Honorable"? I thought most of the OTH discharge classifications generally were a result of some type of wrongdoing, and that court-martials were one of the leading causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio