U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,133,706 times

Advertisements

USAA to double customer pool (http://www.mysanantonio.com/military/USAA_to_double_customer_pool.html - broken link)

Wow, if you've EVER served, you can now be a USAA customer. I may need to check into this........everyone has always told me what great service they offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 AM

993 posts, read 2,187,632 times
I thought they were hiring....

Old 11-05-2009, 07:45 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,133,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
I thought they were hiring....
Aren't they always hiring? Seems like they always have jobs posted.

Sorry for the disappointment, though.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:00 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,786,815 times
Rates were a lot higher than my current insurer. Interesting info though.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,301,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Rates were a lot higher than my current insurer. Interesting info though.
Their rates are a bit higher than others, but man, whenever I've needed them for a claim on the house, they've come through big time. The coverage and service is great.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 AM

872 posts, read 1,632,737 times
I recently heard that if you work or live in Bexar County you can join USAA. Haven't confirmed it though. I've been with them for several years and love the service!!!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:16 AM

484 posts, read 1,078,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Their rates are a bit higher than others, but man, whenever I've needed them for a claim on the house, they've come through big time. The coverage and service is great.
I second this statement. This is truly a bank that awards loyalty. Don't screw them and they won't *********. After another bank turned me down for a loan without even bothering to tell me through phone or letter, USAA approved and forwarded loan funds to my account that I needed in a hurry, due to a death in the family, on my word that I would fax them the signed loan documents after the event.

In that one act, one bank will never get any of my business while another will always have a chance to compete for it.

I just hope that the increased customer base won't decrease customer service.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,286,853 times
they used to not let enlisted people join and that's why I'll never do business with them

Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,099,756 times
As a lifetime USAA member (over 30 years now), I am hesitant to celebrate this "expansion." The last time this happened (1996) our rates went up dramatically as it added a lot of "high risk" individuals to the equation. When payouts increased, we customers were stuck with the tab.

USAA is a great company and probably the best insurance company out there, but sometimes I think it is trying too hard to expand without real consideration of the impact on its current customers.

And RD, the company was specifically founded by Army officers to provide auto insurance for each other, hence its initial restricted membership...

Quote:
In 1922, Major William Henry Garrison called together 24 of his fellow army officers at the Gunter Hotel in San Antonio, Texas. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss solutions to the problem of automobile insurance for army officers. Because of their frequent moves, officers often found that their policies were extremely expensive and prone to cancellation. Moreover, many insurance companies were unreliable and failed with some regularity, leaving their former policyholders without insurance.

The 25 men present at Garrison's meeting decided to form a mutual company and thereby would insure one another. They took as their model the Army Cooperative Fire Insurance Company--based at Fort Leavenworth since 1887--and called the new enterprise the United States Army Automobile Association. Within two months, USAA had enrolled 142 members, and proceeds from their policies totaled $820. Ten months later, however, USAA had a deficit of more than $3,000, caused by its failure to accurately estimate the cost of an insurance policy. In an effort to compensate for the shortfall in funds, USAA's board voted at its first annual meeting in 1924 to extend membership to all active duty and retired officers of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps. The company's name was changed to reflect this broader constituency, becoming the United Services Automobile Association. (more USAA history)
Cheers! M2

Old 11-05-2009, 08:43 AM

283 posts, read 817,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
I recently heard that if you work or live in Bexar County you can join USAA. Haven't confirmed it though. I've been with them for several years and love the service!!!
I think if you live or work in Bexar county you can use their banking services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio