U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:36 PM

6,868 posts, read 12,843,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjw View Post
Our zoo has wild dogs? I didn't know that. I bought a season pass before spring break but it was too crowded then so I haven't been yet. I've seen wild dogs in Africa and it's a little hard to imagine their life in a zoo. Their territory is 500 - 1000 sq miles, when hunting they run 30-40 mph and will chase their prey until the prey is exhausted (miles) and their kill rate is 80%. The pack will devour their kill in minutes. Here's a photo of wild dogs eating a warthog.
Wild dogs eating warthog. photo - Cindy Wheeler photos at pbase.com

Get this - my daughter just texted me a photo of the wild dogs at the Houston zoo. She's there looking at them while I was typing this. How funny is that.
They have quite an area at the Houston Zoo. They're really, really neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 AM

417 posts, read 543,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmommy View Post
My son and I always have a good time at the Zoo. Yes, it's not big, but it's nice.

I do agree though, the Jaguar space needs to be tripled and he needs a friend. It makes me so sad every time I see the pacing.
Same with the Elephant. I am sad to see him (her?) all alone. I am glad a friend is coming, hopefully with a bigger space.
The way I understand it, the elephant is already there but in quarantine for 45 days before introduced to the elephant already there.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:29 PM

20 posts, read 31,523 times
Jaguars are actually solitary animals in the wild, so I don't think they would want "friends".

I don't think the jaguar exhibit is all that cramped, it has an indoor sleeping area the jaguar can retreat to and lots of water and foliage elements to interact with.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:22 PM

1,805 posts, read 3,304,407 times
At many zoos, you can sponsor an animal on behalf of someone, perhaps their favorite animal. And most of the time, the person gets quite a nice package sent to them, announcing your gift and containing some other goodies.

I sponsored a giraffe for my grandnephew and he got a stuffed giraffe, some free passes to the zoo, a book about giraffes, and some other things I no longer recall. It did not cost a great deal, but wasn't close to 'free' either. It was definitely worth it. The bulk of the money went to the giraffes (the REAL ones!!) and the zoo.

This a great way to get a fine gift to someone you love, AND support the zoo and the favorite animal of the 'someone' you've chosen....

You can check the San Antonio Zoo website to find out if they offer adoptions and/or sponsorships....

Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM

1,805 posts, read 3,304,407 times
Well, I went ahead and checked and Yes, You can adopt animals at SA Zoo...
here is a link to the page that lists which animals can be adopted, the cost, and the various levels of 'adoption' you can participate in.....
The animals will likely appreciate it and you will feel as though you helped them out ----- and you WILL/DID!!!
plus an animal will truly benefit from it... a win/win.....

Animal Adoption LevelsBENEFITS
KEEPER
$25.00
Lead
KEEPER
$50.00
senior
KEEPER
$100.00
assistant
curator
$250.00
curator
$500.00
general
curator
$1,000.00
executive
director
$2,000.00
Personalized
Certificate of
Adoption
Animal
Fact Sheet
4x6 Color Photo
8x10 Color Photo
Zoo Bucks ($5 each)*
Name Listed on
Adopt-An-Animal
Board
Invitation to Annual
Membership Party
Annual Adopt Plush & Conservation Message
Meet & Greet with the Keeper**
Behind-the-Scenes
Tour**

San Antonio Zoo and Aquarium - Where you experience Real. Wild. Life. (http://www.sazoo-aq.org/support/adoptananimal.html - broken link)

Old 04-25-2010, 05:36 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,081,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Well, I went ahead and checked and Yes, You can adopt animals at SA Zoo...
here is a link to the page that lists which animals can be adopted, the cost, and the various levels of 'adoption' you can participate in.....
The animals will likely appreciate it and you will feel as though you helped them out ----- and you WILL/DID!!!
plus an animal will truly benefit from it... a win/win.....

Animal Adoption LevelsBENEFITS
KEEPER
$25.00
Lead
KEEPER
$50.00
senior
KEEPER
$100.00
assistant
curator
$250.00
curator
$500.00
general
curator
$1,000.00
executive
director
$2,000.00
Personalized
Certificate of
Adoption
Animal
Fact Sheet
4x6 Color Photo
8x10 Color Photo
Zoo Bucks ($5 each)*
Name Listed on
Adopt-An-Animal
Board
Invitation to Annual
Membership Party
Annual Adopt Plush & Conservation Message
Meet & Greet with the Keeper**
Behind-the-Scenes
Tour**

San Antonio Zoo and Aquarium - Where you experience Real. Wild. Life. (http://www.sazoo-aq.org/support/adoptananimal.html - broken link)
super cool Pops! Excellent news! Thanks for posting!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishbird View Post
This zoo sounds absolutely awful
I think you're mixing some of the posters up with the animals.

The zoo is wonderful and we have been to plenty....Europe included.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:08 AM

6,868 posts, read 12,843,557 times
Thanks for posting that, Pops!

I just saw Chris Anderson on Fox News being interviewed about his grizzly bear rescues. He said many grizzlies are euthanized every year, because the population in captivity is too high, and there are just not enough places for them to go...and because they've lived their lives in captivity, they can't be reintroduced to the wild.

So if you're thinking about how cruel zoos are, remember that some of these animals are rescued from certain death by zoos taking them, often at a very high cost. Membership and sponsorship is important for their continued care.

It's such a beautiful time of year....why not support the San Antonio Zoo by making a visit?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:42 AM

I agree with the poster that said to go as early as you can.....OR..during a week like this week when the temperature is moderate to warm. They are much more active and visible.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,382,994 times
Default This Zoo,

Is awful only because it dumps 3 million gals. of ecoli bacteria infested water into the River daily. From washing cages. It is a disgrace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by britishbird View Post
This zoo sounds absolutely awful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio