U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:10 AM

417 posts, read 875,821 times

Advertisements

No more elephant at the zoo... Why doesn't someone organize a upgrade to her pen...like remove the concrete and put in a dirt or clay pen with some grass.

The elephant is old...so lets stress her with a move to a place she not familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:48 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,203,998 times
Elephants walk many miles per day, this is not possible in her current space, nor would an upgrade fully satisfy her needs.

Elephants are social and without a mate - or even a herd - life is quite lonely and unfulfilling. (Her mate died in 2007, the cause was not determined)

The stress of the move is neglitable compared to remaining for years in the current situation.

Last edited by cr1039; 11-05-2009 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: edit - death of her mate

Old 11-05-2009, 02:41 PM

11,943 posts, read 12,840,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Elephants walk many miles per day, this is not possible in her current space, nor would an upgrade fully satisfy her needs.

Elephants are social and without a mate - or even a herd - life is quite lonely and unfulfilling. (Her mate died in 2007, the cause was not determined)

The stress of the move is neglitable compared to remaining for years in the current situation.
?

Old 11-05-2009, 02:53 PM

936 posts, read 1,757,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post

Are you arguing that she should be turned loose in the wild to join a herd? Or that we shouldn't have zoos? Good luck with that battle.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,179 times
Default Lonely elephant..

I am new to this area and recently visited the zoo. Was sorry for that lonely elephant, she definitely needs some company. Enjoyed watching her eat..!!

I felt very sorry for the hypos, they definitely need more space, their enclosure is way too small. Can something be done about it ??? I would prefer to learn more about hypos & their habitat if they showed a nice video on a large screen, just a suggestion.. I love animals.

Kiwa22

Old 11-05-2009, 03:20 PM

936 posts, read 1,757,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwa22 View Post
I am new to this area and recently visited the zoo. Was sorry for that lonely elephant, she definitely needs some company. Enjoyed watching her eat..!!

I felt very sorry for the hypos, they definitely need more space, their enclosure is way too small. Can something be done about it ??? I would prefer to learn more about hypos & their habitat if they showed a nice video on a large screen, just a suggestion.. I love animals.

Kiwa22
A donation to the zoo to be directed towards better enclosures would help. The heftier the donation, the better.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:18 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,296,895 times
I am not against zoos, but the SA zoo seriously sucks. It is so small and just doesn't seem to do the animals any justice in re-creating their natural environment which I thought was the point? I am no Elephant Whisperer, but every time I have been to the zoo, the animals always look unhappy and uncomfortable, even with the new additions that were recently made.

Has anyone been to the Ft Worth zoo? That place is incredible and makes the SA Zoo look like a joke (which I kinda think it is)

Old 11-05-2009, 05:02 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 857,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiccaTX View Post
No more elephant at the zoo... Why doesn't someone organize a upgrade to her pen...like remove the concrete and put in a dirt or clay pen with some grass.

The elephant is old...so lets stress her with a move to a place she not familiar with.

The zebra passed away recently.

What happened to the elephant?

Old 11-05-2009, 05:12 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,203,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
Are you arguing that she should be turned loose in the wild to join a herd? Or that we shouldn't have zoos? Good luck with that battle.
No, I am suggesting that the alternative, which is "Lucky" the elephant being turned over to a sanctuary, is preferred as the sanctuary has both the space she requires and the opportunity for social interaction that she desires. I am not arguing about zoos in general nor do I wish to battle to have her sent back to the wild from which she was captured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
A donation to the zoo to be directed towards better enclosures would help. The heftier the donation, the better.
The SA Zoo does not have the acreage to build an elephant habitat that would be up to par to other reputable Zoo elephant habitats. For that reason, in addition to the sudden and unexplained death of her mate are a few of the reasons why moving Lucky is preferred to attempting to alter her current habitat enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li'l_Bit View Post
Neglitable?! You must mean negligible. A dictionary might be in order before using "big" words.
I was responding from my phone and truly regret that a spelling error has derailed what I think to be an otherwise educated and compassionate point of view on the situation.

There is clearly confusion and misinformation, the varied links below may help facilitate further discussion:

http://www.voiceforanimals.org/freelucky.htm
http://zctf.net/lucky.html
http://www.savezooelephants.com/san_antonio_zoo.html
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...Biq1uTfPQ.cspx

Last edited by cr1039; 11-05-2009 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: links

Old 11-05-2009, 11:13 PM

417 posts, read 875,821 times
Sure Tennesse is a super place for elephants..hopefully Lucky is sent there unless they are able to a companion to keep her from being bored. Not all animals are gung ho on the "herd life".. It's not as simple as tossing her out there with the herd and there we go..happily ever after.

The news report yesterday said the elephant was in good health. There are positive and negative sides to everything.

The zoo plans on a new african elephant exhibit which now explains why those activists are trying to ban any elephants at the zoo.

My question is where were these people 5 years ago or when she started out life as a lone elephant...or better yet when Lucky came into the zoo at 2 years old? How 'bout these folkes worry about all the people in San Antonio that are going without food or don't have a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or