Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 08:58 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times

Advertisements

meetup.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 12:12 PM

47 posts, read 109,591 times
Not what you'd call a collection, but I do have some interest in old milsurp rifles. I've only begun collecting and right now the only milsurp I have is a 1929 Izhevsk arsenal 91/30 ex-dragoon. (also means that my knowledge is rather limited) I've got it in my head that i want to start out by collecting long arms from the WWII era, then branch out from there.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Actually, my son does! He attended the same gun show you attended. I've been to many with him. (yes....believe it or not. ) Have you talked to any of the dealers at the shows that sell historical firearms if they know of any local groups?

My son has two WWII rifles that he has disassembled and completely restored. One is Russian and I believe he bought a Finnish rifle at the recent show (still working on that one.)

Last edited by wCat; 11-22-2009 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: typo due to brain malfunction

Old 11-22-2009, 12:41 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
AMF

That's a good start, I've got a couple of Mosin Nagants (to include a couple of carbines) and they are a lot of fun to shoot! One may have been used in the Spanish Civil War according to the experts, and I just envision Ernest Hemingway using it on the battlefield!

If you haven't found it yet, 7.62x54r.net is a great resource, especially the forums! You'll find a thread on my latest acquisition there...

Cat

Sounds like your son has Mosins as well, they are mostly Russian made but the Finns acquired some during their subsequent battles with the Russians and modified them making them very desirable amongst collectors.

Cheers! M2

Old 11-22-2009, 12:56 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
AMF
Cat

Sounds like your son has Mosins as well, they are mostly Russian made but the Finns acquired some during their subsequent battles with the Russians and modified them making them very desirable amongst collectors.

Cheers! M2
You're correct...they both are Mosin Nagants. The Russian rifle is a M-91-30. The other one is however not the more desirable modified Russian/Finn rifle. It's a Finnish Mosin sako M-39. He would have preferred the modified Russian version but his budget said "no".

Old 11-22-2009, 01:00 PM

47 posts, read 109,591 times
Yeah, I'm in search of a M44 as my next acquisition. Or perhaps another 91/30...or both.

As for 7.62x54r.net, I've been a lurker there for a while now. I saw your M44 search thread a while back, where'd you end up getting them?

Old 11-22-2009, 04:34 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,586 times
My dad is a collector--a Mosin Nagant (not sure what year, but definitely WWII or earlier), an old Ak-47, an M1, and at least two others that I can't remember. He loves showing them to people and talking through the history--then again, he's a history buff so it all makes sense.

--Dim

Old 11-22-2009, 04:36 PM

60 posts, read 246,145 times
M2,
You might find some people with similar interests over at - San Antonio - Texas Gun Talk (http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/san-antonio/ - broken link)

or in the Texas section over at arfcom Texas - AR15.COM

I like older weapons but don't have any. I had been thinking about getting a C&R so I can buy a few directly. The oldest firearm I own is a S&W .357. I also have a Saiga AK47 that I converted. It was technically designed in 1947 but was built about a year ago. I always drool over the older firearms they have for sale at Classic Arms Inc.

Chris

Old 11-22-2009, 05:38 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMFoxtrot View Post
Yeah, I'm in search of a M44 as my next acquisition. Or perhaps another 91/30...or both.

As for 7.62x54r.net, I've been a lurker there for a while now. I saw your M44 search thread a while back, where'd you end up getting them?
I overpaid for one from Texas Guns (but it was in really good shape), and then I got another via GunBroker.com. The prices at the shows have been too high and the quality too low (non-matching and stocks that look like my dogs have shewed on them for a while!), but online there are still deals to be had!

I've also applied for my 03 C&R license from the ATF and when it comes I will be able to have older collectible milsurp guns sent directly to my home instead of my favorite FFL which is way down north of Poteet. As a matter of fact, I can do transfers for others as long as it doesn't become a "business," so I will be able to help folks out.

wCat, I'd love to have a Finn Suojeluskuntain Ase ja Konepaja Oy M39, they were well known for their accuracy and were produced for match shooting and training in the late '60s and early '70s. If he ever gets the urge to sell it for the Russian he wants, tell him to let me know!

Dim, I feel the same as your Dad toward them, it is more the history than anything else that appeals to me. Getting the opportunity to shoot a pistol or rifle from the First World War is quite exciting, especially since we were lucky enough to live close to many of the major battlefields of the "Great War" when we were stationed in Belgium. I have all the "modern" guns I need, now my focus are on firearms that have some history associated with them.

Lastly, thanks for the links, ChrisSA, I will have to check those out. Some of the other sites I have been to lately have gotten too political for my tastes (especially discussions concerning the tragic incident at Ft Hood), I prefer to simply discuss cool firearms!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-22-2009, 06:09 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
I've got an old 1908 Colt hammerless .380 which was given to a lot of officers in WW II. Bradley, Marshall, Patton were all issued one. The one I've got is a variant one with a serial number of 2,000 and something. Somebody here probably knows more about this type of pistol than me. I thought the .45 was the most popular pistol in WW II, but I'm not sure..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio