Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm kinda broke as well, thanks to having to send an additional $2500 to my favorite Uncle two weeks ago; but we'll go anyway just to look around...plus some of my favorite dealers take credit cards!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
You go ahead - I dodged Uncle Sugar this year, but made up for it with some <cough>gun<cough> purchases.....

Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM

Just sent this to SAXET via their website - a number of us have wondered about the parking fees - let's see if I get a reply...

Hi guys...

I've got a question - what's with charging for parking at the SA show now? Frankly, it's a PITA to pull up to a public parking facility and being told I've got to PAY to go inside and PAY to look at guns on tables that other folks have PAID to show us. I'm a businessman, and while I understand making a profit, I can also understand folks feeling like they're being hosed - and I've got to tell you - based on comments on some of the local boards I frequent, I'm not the only one that feels like he's getting nickel and dimed on these. I have to travel from New Braunfels to your show, so it's already a pretty good trip - and then to get hit with a parking fee...well, let's just say that you've gotten my parking money once - and rather than come in monthly now, it's going to be more like every 3-5 months. I enjoyed going, even though I could often find better deals via the web - but I enjoyed visiting with a lot of the vendors I've gotten to know over my decades of attendance.

Hope you'll take the time to address this. I'll post this communication on some of the boards I frequent, and your response. Obviously, you can choose to ignore it - in which case I'll note that as well.

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:12 AM

Got this back a bit after midnight - kudos to 'em for a quick response:

Dear Mr. xxx

Saxet does not charge for parking.
We do charge admission, & the last time we raised our price was in 1993

The San Antonio Event Center started to charge for parking two months ago to recover some of the cost of the increased security & traffic control for the street and parking lot.
When some of the neighboring properties started towing patrons cars it became necessary to increased the number of Police officers and parking attendants.
In any City or store parking lot it is nice to know that your car is parked in a secure area with Real police watching it.
Also the Center is purchasing nine areas on the north side with direct access to the loop 410 feeder road. They will start working on the new parking lot as soon as the City issues the permits.
We have been working with the Center closely trying to make this a great venue for large shows, There is still a lot of work to due, so please bear with us.
We always listen and respond to our customers concerns.
I hope this letter is understandable, It has been a long day, in fact it is already Monday

Thank You !!

Saxet

Old 05-03-2010, 06:17 AM

Actually, that is exactly the kind of information they need to publicize on their web site. I know they’ve been taking a beating about the parking situation, and putting out such an explanation would significantly reduce all the number of folks who are complaining (myself included).

TRN, if you respond, you may want to recommend they do that.

Also, I think SAXET deserves kudos for actually trying to address the parking problem! It isn't readily apparant that they are when you go to the shows...

Cheers! M2

Old 05-03-2010, 08:26 PM

Got a f/u email from them earlier today - as you say, good on 'em for responding, and I am gonna suggest they post it to their website...

I'm guessing that with the cost of the property and the cost of base, asphalt, engineering, landscaping,drainage, permitting,etc.. that the parking lot will come in around 1.5mil. ( Yes landscaping they make you plant trees & grass etc.. for every so many square feet.) Also the staff cost is pretty high. Cops are $30.00 per hour, plus the other attendants, clean up, cone rents,and other misc..
So I do not know what his rate of return will be. But of coarse they do have other shows in their also.
On top of that I have talked to him about increasing the tonnage on the A/C.
$$$$$$
They have been working hard to improve this venue.
Last year it was just an old warehouse.

Thanks !! Saxet

Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 AM

Bwahahaha! When you said a "f/u email," I was thinking something totally different!

Still, it's nice that they replied (twice) and neither were "canned" answers. It re-enforces my belief that SAXET is actually trying to host a decent show, whereas the other promoter (who shall remain nameless but we’ve complained about them before) is the complete opposite. This is why we’ll continue to frequent the SAXET shows, and boycott the one that screwed everyone over in Austin…

Cheers! M2

Old 05-04-2010, 08:17 PM

That's the way I took it. They KNOW the issue is a "hot button", but rather than get all defensive, they provide the information and let us make up our own minds. We may not LIKE the info - but at least I think it's honestly given.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM

Agreed, I can take bad news better when it is honestly presented. It's when I feel I am being fed a line of bull that I get offended...

Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 PM

The monthly SAXET show at the SA Event Center (410 and Marbach) is this weekend, 5-6 June. They do charge $3 for parking and it gets crowded quick! Best to arrive early and grab breakfast at one of the two restaurants within walking distance.

For more info, see Saxet Trade Shows.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio