Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 12:44 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times

Advertisements

Saxet is having Austin shows again - check their site.

Well, that gives me a reason to drive up and also go to the awesome Whole Foods (as compared to our crap pile), visit their great book store (Book People) and have some decent Chinese food - visit that great Asian Supermarket on Lamar. And the great new cheese store - Antonelli's.

Get all my weird interests in one shot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 01:51 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
My son and I drove up to the SAXET show in Austin on Saturday, it was a nice show but honestly you can save yourself the 200+ mile round trip as 1) it is much smaller than the SAXET show at the SA Event Center (~400 tables versus 3-4x that amount) and 2) the majority of vendors there are the same ones that come here!

For folks that live closer to Austin than SA it's probably worth it, but for those in this area it's not worth the effort. I didn't see anything at that show that you can't find at the local one...

But if you do go, just a note in case you are like us and want to eat breakfast beforehand. Don't wait until you get close to the Travis County Expo Center to do so, as there is nothing close by other than one taquería. We ended up driving back over five miles towards Austin to grab a bite at McDonalds.

Oh, and parking is $2 and entry is $5, in case you're wondering...

Cheers! M2

Old 11-22-2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks for tip, M2 - but I also have family in Austin, I can annoy. And I do like to visit those other places!

Antonelli's has a great cheese from Switzerland for $32 / lb. That makes as much sense as buying a bunch of ammo to shoot at a much. Just FUN!

BTW, Walmart had UMC 9mm 250 round boxes for about $51. That's a good price. It always runs in my 9's.

Then I have a gift card to Cabela's I can use on the way back.

So it will be a total experience if I go.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:59 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
What place would you suggest in S.A. for gun training? I'm a newbie and would like to learn to do it right from the beginning.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:04 PM

Lee

I know you said you are a newbie, but specifically what kind of training are you looking for? Concealed carry, basic firearm safety or tactical training?

Also, do you have any previous firearms experience? You don't have to answer here, DM me with specifics if you like and I can send you some info on an instructor I know, he may be able to help you but he basically covers:

* Texas Concealed Handgun License Course
* Pistol
* Rifle
* Shotgun
* Muzzleloading Pistol
* Muzzleloading Rifle
* Muzzleloading Shotgun
* Personal Protection
* Shotshell Reloading
* Metallic Cartridge Reloading

He is a competitive shooter and all his classes are taught by NRA-Certified Training Counselors and Texas Department of Public Safety-Certified Concealed Handgun License Instructors!

If that's more than what you are looking for, I have other suggestions that you may be interested in.

Let me know!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 AM

For Pete's sake folks, make absolutely, positively sure that a gun is unloaded before cleaning it!!

Quote:
Woman Shot, Killed While Cleaning Handgun

A woman who San Antonio police said accidentally shot herself while cleaning her gun in a North Side apartment Saturday has died, authorities said.

Rebecca Ginn, 55, was pronounced dead at University Hospital on Saturday around 4 p.m., shortly after she was hospitalized, according to the Bexar County medical examiner's office.

Police were called to Ginn's apartment in the 3200 block of Northwest Loop 410 Saturday afternoon, when Ginn discharged her .38 caliber handgun while cleaning it. She was sitting on the couch, police said, and was shot once in the chest.

Although police did not suspect foul play, the medical examiner's office has not yet determined if Ginn's death was an accident.
Oh, and the monthly SAXET gun show is this coming weekend (4-5 Dec) at the SA Event Center (Marbach and 410). Doors open both days at 9:00am; entry is $5 and parking is $2.

Cheers! M2

Old 11-29-2010, 11:47 AM

Just as a note, some gun cleaning accidents are actual suicides as are single car crashes. The person arranges the circumstances to avoid the shame and financial consequences of a suicide (insurance, for example).

If this is the case here, forensics might figure it out.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:52 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Just as a note, some gun cleaning accidents are actual suicides as are single car crashes. The person arranges the circumstances to avoid the shame and financial consequences of a suicide (insurance, for example).

If this is the case here, forensics might figure it out.
Yes, in years past, many suicides have been covered up as "accidents" I would imagine it still happens in smaller communities but it is getting to the point where it would be pretty hard. (if you know how the process works)

Second, contrary to popular belief, Insurance does pay for suicide. In general, after a statutorily limited rider period. In most cases under 3 years.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 PM

Many people don't understand modern forensic science. Look at the fake kidnappings we've seen. One in SA was a horrible suicide by setting herself on fire after claiming a person of color raped her.

Playing all the PR cards so to speak - but obviously a seriously disturbed person.

I know that about insurance. When my kid started college I took out some extra in case of ... The agent told me I couldn't check out by suicide till a given date. I told her I would be sure to put that on my calendar

Old 11-30-2010, 03:55 PM

One of the local media outlets is now saying it has been deemed an accident...which reiterates my point of being absolutely, positively sure that a gun is unloaded before cleaning it!!

I honestly am a fanatic about it, I not only double but triple and sometimes quadruple check a weapon when clearing it. This include is a visual as well as a physical inspect of the firearm (and no, despite the jokes, looking down the barrel is not a way to check to see if it is loaded!) and finally dry-firing while pointing it in a safe direction if it's OK to do so with they type of gun in question (most modern guns it's OK to dry fire).

Unfortunately, even the most experienced gun owners have been the victims of accidental/negligent discharges. I find having a healthy fear of and respect for guns helps keeps me focused when handling them, but all it takes is a momentary lapse of attention (a.k.a. a "brain fart") that have have lethal consequences.

My condolences to the victims family and friends...

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio