Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:32 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,800,082 times

Advertisements

Does anyone in SA listen to HD radio?

I don't have a receiver, but I was interested in buying one due to the 101.9 Smooth Jazz station. It would be great for work.

There are portable (pocket-sized) players. But I don't know how well they would work at my workplace. I work indoors and I can pick up most of the stations there. So my reception there is like, average to good.

But I know that some signals can only be picked up outside. I'd appreciate comments from anyone familiar with using HD receivers in this city. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,014,902 times
I have had a tabletop receiver for about 2 years. IIRC, there are about 6-8 unique stations on HD and another 12-15 stations that are HD versions of analog stations.

The reception is a little finicky. You need to have very good reception of the analog signal to get the receiver to lock onto the HD signal. I know of a local guy on another forum who installed an HD receiver in his truck and he was disappointed by how frequently the receiver would get unlocked from HD reception as he drove around. For this guy to admit that was surprising, because he's a huge fan of the technology.

FWIW, I read recently that the radio industry's nickname for HD Radio is "Huge Disappointment." Stations invested thousands in the equipment in programming, but apparently not many people are buying receivers and listening to it.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 PM

4,308 posts, read 7,191,566 times
I've been curious about these HD radios myself. I was wondering about the reception in a typical office building vs. conventional analog radio. I know it would be best to have a higher-end setup in order to take advantage of the higher quality audio offered on the HD stations, but I would be reluctant to get a pricey system for the office. We haven't had any problems with theft, but I wouldn't want to tempt the after-hours cleaning crew.

The 101.9-2 HD station with the smooth jazz format appears to offer a greater format departure from its analog counterpart than other local HD stations.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:53 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,800,082 times
San Antonio used to have a great smooth jazz station about 15 years ago. Most of my coworkers listened to it (at two different companies) back at the time. I don't know why they don't still have one.

101.9 used to have a great jazz program on Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings. But it seems like they've recently done away with it (on their analog station).

If SA had a good station like this again (on analog) this wouldn't even be an issue for me. Right now, apparently, there are only a couple of HD stations in SA that are not found on analog already.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

This thread inspired me to fire up my HD radio this evening and see what was on the dial now.

One of the HD-only stations is already playing Christmas music.

KZEP's HD-2 station was playing The Ramones when I tuned it in.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:07 PM

160 posts, read 524,674 times
"We want the airwaves, baby...." (Ramones reference)

What Ramones song were they playing? Does that station play rarely heard songs/bands, or is it similar to the regular KZEP?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goominim View Post
"We want the airwaves, baby...." (Ramones reference)

What Ramones song were they playing?
You already guessed it.
Quote:
Does that station play rarely heard songs/bands, or is it similar to the regular KZEP?
It's called eRockster and it's a mix of old and new music. You can read about it (and hear it) online at erockster.com .

Old 11-09-2009, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the reply, Bowie. Oddly, I wasn't expecting to guess the actual song they played. Good song though!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:26 PM

Wow...I've been listening to eRockster since I last posted. Great stuff! This is how radio *should* be, IMO. Lots of variety - Snow Patrol, Oasys, Superchunk and some energetic electronic music (not sure of the genre), all of which were enjoyable. Now they're playing a live version of The Cars Let the Good Times Roll, which I've never heard before. All good stuff! Thanks for the link...

Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,158 times
The low power limitations of HD radio really limit the continuous reception in a moving vehicle. Even at home it can be touch and go. I have an amplified FM antenna and I still can't get all of the local San Antonio stations. Which doesn't matter cause 101.9HD-2 plays the finest jazz every time I tune in. It's worth getting a receiver. And you can pick up a new stereo HD tuner for $25 on ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: