U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 04:09 PM

13,805 posts, read 19,100,488 times

Advertisements

yeah, their mad "art" skillz are only outdone by their crazy grammar skillz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 04:39 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,888,625 times
I am completely AGAINST jail time for these youth. I think jail should be reserved for serious or violent offenses. Taggers do deserve to be punished, but accordingly with their crime. I'd like to see a mandatory program similar to those given to drug or alcohol offenders. Most of the taggers are youth, not lifelong criminals. If we can educate and rehabilitate them early on we will be able to lower our crime rate. It is obvious that our "lock 'em up" approach hasn't been effective. It harms a youths chance of getting a job and eventually becoming a productive member of society. They should pay fines and serve community service, but only repeat offenders need be arrested.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:16 PM

113 posts, read 254,466 times
Default MORE taggers caught red-handed!!

WOAI just reported taggers were caught by police, tagging along I-35 downtown late last night. When confronted by police who asked what they were doing one guy stated "art work". Yeah right! Go ply your craft on your mommas house. The wall of 35 was covered with their vandalism. One guy was 19, his relative/co-hort in crime was 17. A family affair.

They need to put these punks to clean their mess, and pay a fine--at the very least. Thanks to SAPD for stepping up on taggers.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:51 PM

8,368 posts, read 13,377,906 times
Sorry, I disagree. Their crimes affect the entire community, and apparently they are not getting the message by receiving light sentences and community service.

I think throwing a few of these punks in jail for 30 days or so will serve as a "wake up" call not only for themselves, but their fellow taggers.

It might also set them on the right path, as they obviously aren't on it right now...and if it doesn't, a second sentence of 60 days might do the trick. The third time it needs to be a year...

Old 01-10-2010, 05:59 PM

112 posts, read 180,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I am completely AGAINST jail time for these youth. I think jail should be reserved for serious or violent offenses. Taggers do deserve to be punished, but accordingly with their crime. I'd like to see a mandatory program similar to those given to drug or alcohol offenders. Most of the taggers are youth, not lifelong criminals. If we can educate and rehabilitate them early on we will be able to lower our crime rate. It is obvious that our "lock 'em up" approach hasn't been effective. It harms a youths chance of getting a job and eventually becoming a productive member of society. They should pay fines and serve community service, but only repeat offenders need be arrested.
These guys are already repeat offenders. Their "calling cards" is in their "art work/grafitti/tagging" that have their "signature" on their "work"
They have to "sign" it otherwise it has no significantce, they have no claim to it.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:03 PM

2,403 posts, read 3,705,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I do. I never said I approve of their actions (even though the majority of you who posted after me seem to think that), and I never said what they did wasn't a crime, but I just wanted to know what it was they did that makes what they did un-artistic. I personally don't think legality has anything to with art. I thank those of you who actually answered my question instead jumping all over me and talking about destroying my car. I can agree to disagree with the rest of you on your definition of art, especially since I don't want to debate each of you individually. All I can say is that I feel most of you have a warped sense of what graffiti is to the person doing it. In fact, many of you are confused on what the act of graffiti is in general. Graffiti has a long (I'm talking centuries) and interesting history - I'd ask you all to read up on it from a graff writer's point of view but I doubt that'll happen. If anything, try to remember that not every graffiti artist is a vandal. And for those of you who don't think graffiti is art, I ask you to watch this video of an artist doing what's known as a "masterpiece" on a wall in a gallery. Nothing illegal about this:

YouTube - Graffiti

I'm sorry for those of you who have had your property tagged, and I can understand your anger towards graffiti. Maybe one day San Antonio will make a "safe zone" for graffiti. It's an easier, and cheaper, alternative to chasing, cleaning up after, and jailing taggers.
The difference is "HE HAD PERMISSION !" from the owner to do it !

Old 01-10-2010, 06:06 PM

113 posts, read 254,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayover20 View Post
WOAI just reported taggers were caught by police, tagging along I-35 downtown late last night. When confronted by police who asked what they were doing one guy stated "art work". Yeah right! Go ply your craft on your mommas house. The wall of 35 was covered with their vandalism. One guy was 19, his relative/co-hort in crime was 17. A family affair.

They need to put these punks to clean their mess, and pay a fine--at the very least. Thanks to SAPD for stepping up on taggers.
Hey thanks for blending this post, I should'a done it.

By the way, I forgot to include JAIL TIME for these rejects. Damage to public and/or personal property should not be taken lightly and stiff penalties are required to show these "artists" the work they do in the wee hours of the night is not appreciated. And while we're at it, stiff fines for the parents of the juveniles involved. Maybe next time they'll pay attention to where their lovely child is at 3am.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:16 PM

8,368 posts, read 13,377,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
The difference is "HE HAD PERMISSION !" from the owner to do it !
That is a completely different situation...I have seen some beautiful work done by commissioned artists by the property owners. That is a totally appropriate display of their work.

However, "tagging" private and public property without permission is a crime, simple as that; and one that is getting worse in our beautiful city. Those who do it need to have a message sent to them, and this is the perfect opportunity. The only thing else needed is for their sentences to be widely publicized, and maybe then some of these pinheads will think twice about what they are doing before they do it...

Old 01-10-2010, 06:36 PM

310 posts, read 393,827 times
When you come down to it, morality is a hard thing to induce into someone lacking it.

I understand the reticence in sentencing someone to a lifetime of being branded a criminal at such a young age for a non-violent crime, but the only effective way to curb such behaviour is for the courts to start recognizing it for what it is, wanton destruction and disregard for public and private property. Regardless, it will take time for the message to get through and a lot of kids will stumble their way into a lifetime of misery.

Deferred adjudication is warranted for the first offense, but only a few will get the message. The majority are going to view that as a nod from society that it is only a minor offense, rather than seeing it for what it is, a second chance. Then you are back to where you started.

Try as you might, you just can't save people from themselves.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 PM

872 posts, read 1,108,162 times
Lock them in jail for at least 10 days/nights. During the daytime, have them out cleaning up their mess while wearing hot pink jumpsuits. That should get them the attention the so desire. This garbage is rapidly making San Antonio look BAD! I recently traveled to a couple of other states and was surprised at how noticable the tagging was when I got back into San Antonio after only a few days of being gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio