U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 PM

324 posts, read 1,171,131 times

Advertisements

We would like to provide a full meal to one deserving family of about 4-5 people. Full meal - turkey, mashed potato mix, gravy mix, canned veggies, stuffing mix, even the cranberry sauce. I'd rather do it straight to a family, not in bulk to a charity, etc. Gotta be picked up - we don't drive.

Any ideas? I'm thinking just a few days before list it in the free section of craigslist.

We've been blessed so much recently that we'd like to give back, even if it is in such a small way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 02:00 PM

14,628 posts, read 31,228,591 times
Careful! You may end up with 32 guests like this nice woman last year! Her boss ended up paying for all the food....so nice!!

Woman Serving Thanksgiving for 32 After Craigslist Offer - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Old 11-08-2009, 02:04 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,203,158 times
Sun Harvest does something each holiday season, you can purchase a bag full of groceries that will be donated on your behalf.

You may have a hard time donating straight to a family with financial issues that you do not otherwise know as I am sure most people like some level of anonymity and asking the family to pick it up from your home may cause issue.

If you would consider it, perhaps ask your church, place of worship or a local community center if there is a family who is new in town, has a member deployed overseas, just had a baby or perhaps even a tragedy in the family and see if you could host them in your home for a meal.

That way, you are giving someone a Thanksgiving experience and offering friendship, assimilating them to the neighborhood etc. The examples above though may not have financial issue per se - just don't have the opportunity or strength this year to do it up for the holidays...

Old 11-08-2009, 02:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,980,428 times
you could also think about hosting a soldier or 2 or 3 from one of the bases that cannot make it home to his/her family ...

Old 11-08-2009, 02:13 PM

38,029 posts, read 55,817,679 times
mrstxcop: this is a great idea!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:26 PM

116 posts, read 316,388 times
Here's the link for Operation Homecooking if you want to inlude an Air Force trainee: Lackland Air Force Base - Homecook

Old 11-08-2009, 02:29 PM

116 posts, read 316,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZ_098 View Post
Here's the link for Operation Homecooking if you want to inlude an Air Force trainee: Lackland Air Force Base - Homecook
OK, so I just reread and saw that you don't drive. You still might be able to reach out to the Airman Family and Readiness Center at Lackland and see if there are some families that could use some help. You'll find their info at the main page www.lackland.af.mil.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:50 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,996,028 times
I would not do Craigslist.
Try a local church or school social worker. I am sure they can match you with a family that you can help. That's how we have done this in the past and it always worked well.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:10 PM

324 posts, read 1,171,131 times
okay what I'm wanting to do is just provide the food for them to cook their own meal - not host them in my home. We have health issues, so hosting others is out.

I used to donate a meal through the 4-H group when I was a kid - we cooked it all and then they delivered it. But I haven't been able to find a similar program here that isn't through the food bank {long story but I don't agree with some of the SA Food Bank's practices}.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:14 PM

14,628 posts, read 31,228,591 times
You can go through the Salvation Army if you don't disagree with any of their practices.

San Antonio Metropolitan Area Command (http://www.salvationarmysatx.org/news/christmas09/index.htm - broken link)

Adopt-A-Family
Choose a family (any size you decide) and provide special holiday food, clothing, toys and other gifts.

Return unwrapped gifts to The Salvation Army

Dates: Nov 4- Dec 11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio