U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:05 PM

358 posts, read 489,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Blockbuster and Hollywood Video put a lot of independent stores out of business, and now it's their turn. When companies engulf and devour their competition, I shed no tears wehn they are devoured, too.

We lost neighborhood hardware stores to Handy Dan, which lost out to Builder's Square, which lost out to Home Depot and Lowes.

We lost Variety Stores, grocery stores, clothing stores etc. to Wal-Mart.

Small Town USA is just a memory because of Wal-Mart

Personally I would like to have neighborhood stores run by neighbors than megastores run by big companies.
I hear what you're saying, but can't agree. Companies like Wal-Mart simply offer the public another option. That is part of the evolutionary nature of capitalism. Someone comes up with a better product or a better service and, if the public buys into it, then some other product or service provider goes out of business or finds a way to adapt. No one is forced to go to Wal-Mart. So, really, it's the customer/the public that puts the "mom 'n pop" out of business because the "mom 'n pop" couldn't come up with a way to keep their customers coming back (maybe by providing products Wal-Mart doesn't carry, or, offering a level of service Wal-Mart can't provide). For example, we have thousands of McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's stores nationwide, yet places like Chris Madrid's and Bobby J's still thrive. Why? They found a niche that the fast food burgers can't fill. That argument about Wal-Mart has been around for years and has a lot of emotional appeal, but the real story, IMO, is the failure of many of the "mom 'n pop's" to adapt; some did and they survive, most just gave up and that's their fault, not Wal-Mart's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:45 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,289,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2ntst View Post
I hear what you're saying, but can't agree. Companies like Wal-Mart simply offer the public another option. That is part of the evolutionary nature of capitalism. Someone comes up with a better product or a better service and, if the public buys into it, then some other product or service provider goes out of business or finds a way to adapt. No one is forced to go to Wal-Mart. So, really, it's the customer/the public that puts the "mom 'n pop" out of business because the "mom 'n pop" couldn't come up with a way to keep their customers coming back (maybe by providing products Wal-Mart doesn't carry, or, offering a level of service Wal-Mart can't provide). For example, we have thousands of McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's stores nationwide, yet places like Chris Madrid's and Bobby J's still thrive. Why? They found a niche that the fast food burgers can't fill. That argument about Wal-Mart has been around for years and has a lot of emotional appeal, but the real story, IMO, is the failure of many of the "mom 'n pop's" to adapt; some did and they survive, most just gave up and that's their fault, not Wal-Mart's.
For some reason, in this country, people think bigger is better. I know I am in the minority here. I like personalized service by experts. I miss walking into a hardware store, and being greeted by name by the proprietor. Even chain stores like Sears had help that stayed with them for years, and made a good living. I miss milkmen. Fuller Brush Men, and grocery stores that didn't wear you out going through each aisle. I miss the cashier that rang us up greeting us by name. I miss neighborhood gas stations where attendants filled up our tank, chatted with us while washing the windshield, or checking the oil.

I was in the theatre business for many years. I saw the big chains put the nice old independent theatres and theatre owners out of business with their megaplexes. They pay their employees litlle, and expect too much for them. They overcharge their customers for concessions, because they have to maintain the behemoth buildings with the latest technology that gets people to patronize them.

You're right, it is the public that turned their backs on good service, quality, friendliness, a good feeling when shopping for stores that pay starvation wages to people that don't care, make you wait in line forever to check out, and wouldn't remember you two minutes after leaving the register! Some stores want you to check yourself out now!

I miss the good old days, but I guess not many others do.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:54 PM

358 posts, read 489,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
For some reason, in this country, people think bigger is better. I know I am in the minority here. I like personalized service by experts. I miss walking into a hardware store, and being greeted by name by the proprietor. Even chain stores like Sears had help that stayed with them for years, and made a good living. I miss milkmen. Fuller Brush Men, and grocery stores that didn't wear you out going through each aisle. I miss the cashier that rang us up greeting us by name. I miss neighborhood gas stations where attendants filled up our tank, chatted with us while washing the windshield, or checking the oil.

I was in the theatre business for many years. I saw the big chains put the nice old independent theatres and theatre owners out of business with their megaplexes. They pay their employees litlle, and expect too much for them. They overcharge their customers for concessions, because they have to maintain the behemoth buildings with the latest technology that gets people to patronize them.

You're right, it is the public that turned their backs on good service, quality, friendliness, a good feeling when shopping for stores that pay starvation wages to people that don't care, make you wait in line forever to check out, and wouldn't remember you two minutes after leaving the register! Some stores want you to check yourself out now!

I miss the good old days, but I guess not many others do.
I prefer the "mom 'n pops", too and, like you, hate to see them go out of business. It really is great to do business with someone who knows you by name. But the American consumer is very fickle and often more price oriented than service oriented, unfortunately. Going to Wal-Mart and HEB, while probably less expensive that the "mom 'n pop", reminds of the old Bob Seger song "Feel Like A Number". Especially at the deli counter, where you often really are just a number...

Old 03-13-2010, 05:30 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 616,799 times
Looks like the hollywood video at 1604 and blanco will be closing soon.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 PM

133 posts, read 364,157 times
This thread makes me remember the old video rental store near Kirby, I think on Benz-Engleman, back in the VHS 80's. Yeah I liked the ma' and pa' rental stores.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:58 PM

2,783 posts, read 2,230,545 times
First Hollywood Video and now Blockbuster....

I am starting to see Blockbuster closing stores around San Antonio. Both Fredericksburg locations have closed recently.

It was a shock that they closed the one near Fredericksburg and Medical because it was usually one of the busier stores.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:43 PM

838 posts, read 1,757,981 times
its a shame, I remember taking up to an hour trying to choose which movies I wanted to rent.

and CD stores, I miss those too

Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 AM

81 posts, read 90,104 times
I see plenty of lines in front of those Red Box machines. Between them and NetFlix they obviously put a hurt on the video stores.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,962,088 times
The Blockbuster on Stone Oak Parkway and Huebner Road is closing. I'm unsure if the one on Evans & 281 shall do the same.

My family does use Redbox. We rent a movie, watch it, forget to return it and end up paying $11. Nice business model.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 AM

4,835 posts, read 3,908,213 times
The selection at Redbox is pretty limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio