Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wish San Antonio had a bigger skyline?
No,its just fine now. 27 28.13%
Yes,tall sleek skyscrapers like Houston,LA,Dallas,etc. 43 44.79%
No,but maybe a little more newer low rises. 16 16.67%
San Antonio has a skyline?!?! 14 14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM

254 posts, read 545,812 times

Advertisements

This town needs another tower next to the existing one. Twin Towers of the Americas. And while we're at it throw a Luther the Dragon statue in the middle~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 AM

604 posts, read 1,865,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Along with the skyscrapers would you like a few more sky high interchanges as well? How about a two hour commute from downtown to Loop 410 or 1604. Would you like that also?
we fixed that problem

Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 PM

841 posts, read 1,740,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca324 View Post
I too wished they did more with the deco district, the only thing you notice is the heb
As a resident there, I too wish the district was more lively. HEB is ok, the Woodlawn seems to be coming back nicely, there is a plan (supposedly) to resurrect the Cool Crest miniature golf course, the Deco Pizzeria works, the vacant building across from the Woodlawn has a new roof with plans to become a dance studio (I think), and some other small shops have opened.

It has been (painfully) slow, but who knows? In my opinion, the Pearl, Southtown, and other areas have kinda taken away the energy (jealous? Yeah, a bit). The district is just a bit too far from anything else, but the neighborhoods continue to improve so perhaps...

I once thought the BRT would be awesome for the area, but VIA (and the City) reduced the budget and scope so much that it is only a fraction of what it could have been (dedicated lanes, transit-oriented-development adjacent to stations, prepaid collection, etc.). Still an improvement, but not nearly as impactful as the proposed "light rail on tires."

Old 12-17-2012, 06:38 PM

841 posts, read 1,740,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
A sleek glass skyscraper will not go up in DT because of the HDRC.
As someone who has presented to the HDRC, I agree... somewhat. In my opinion, the biggest problem is out of town developers/architects. They come in with their ideas about "San Antonio architecture" and the HDRC has limited ability to improve the design.

I also believe that our own City Council shares some of the blame. How can we go from having the awesome Central Library design, the Museo Alameda, and the modern addition to the SAMA to... the great wall of Hyatt? I know it has been mentioned in this forum before, but the original sketches were great and colorful... until City Council got involved.

At least the Torch of Friendship artwork has been accepted... finally.

I'm not saying that we need a bunch 'o glass boxes downtown, but something besides beige faux stucco with manufactured stone trim would be nice.

Old 04-02-2022, 11:55 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,022,046 times
Austin's skyline had made San Antonio look like a second-tier city

Old 04-03-2022, 05:57 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,053,126 times
Again??? So what? Who cares?

Old 04-03-2022, 06:01 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,720,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho-villa View Post
again??? So what? Who cares?
x2....

Old 04-04-2022, 11:33 AM

11,689 posts, read 7,850,172 times
I have no dog in this, the last time I was in SATX, it looked like they were building a few new towers there though.

I personally think SATX skyline is fine, it does look older and dated but I think Texas has enough major metros that are attracting the new glitzy architecture and businesses. SATX should retain as much character as it can so there will still be a place to call Texas ...

Old 04-04-2022, 12:52 PM

6,482 posts, read 7,452,041 times
I don't see many more work space towers opening up in downtown San Antonio in the near future, especially with remote work. So that leaves hotels, condominiums and potentially mixed use buildings. Hotels are plentiful downtown, so that leaves condos/apartments. The last thing I'd want is one SUPER TALL with a few shorter towers like in OKC.

Despite the skyline not being as expansive as other Texas cities, downtown SA's charm is at the street/river level. You don't see people flocking to visit downtown Dallas or Houston, and to a lesser extent Austin, despite all the high rises.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:13 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,088,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Austin's skyline had made San Antonio look like a second-tier city
Austin is building more than a lot of cities including Houston and Dallas. San Antonio, however has more highrises city wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio