U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 PM

38 posts, read 76,069 times

Advertisements

Att....internet results....no idea what it means....

Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:04 AM

13 posts, read 27,314 times
orejitagirl,

It means you are using at&T Internet services. The upper number is your download speed and the lower number in your upload speed. Incidently,both of your speeds are very slow.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:27 AM

7,649 posts, read 8,094,649 times
Get One: On-the-Go details:

• Unlimited internet usage1 – no extra usage charges
  • Download speeds up to 6.0 Mbps <----------
  • Upload speeds up to 1.0 Mbps
  • Coverage for one person
http://www.clear.com/shop/services/m...wnload-overlay

No thanks!!!!!

This is with my work laptop connected through a VPN as well as the PC I am typing on now plus 2 Directv receivers, plus three more laptops currently connected to my network. (all wireless btw)

Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM

612 posts, read 1,939,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieZ View Post
orejitagirl,

It means you are using at&T Internet services. The upper number is your download speed and the lower number in your upload speed. Incidently,both of your speeds are very slow.
if she was one of the lower level ATT plans like 1.5 down and 512 up then she would be getting all or nearly all the bandwidth available to her especially considering transmission overhead

I have clear in another city and I would not recommend it to anyone that did anything more than browse content void web pages or check occasional emails with only limited or small attachments

if you are a gamer in any way shape or form you want to avoid clear at all cost as at least for me .5 to 1 second ping times are the NORM and frequent short disconnects are common including 3 or 4 last night and usually a couple of times a week for a bit longer......not to mention I believe their network is over crowded and they are running some type of caching servers on their network that are also overloaded or poorly configured or both

clear would be great for people that want cheap, don't EVER rely on their internet being up right at that moment, only browse content void web pages or check email, never try and stream video, don't game, and are finally transitioning off of AOL dialup

Old 06-24-2010, 09:12 PM

35 posts, read 136,668 times
We signed up for the Clear services last week with the intention of dropping all U-verse services. After a second trouble-shooting call to technical support because we couldn't get it to work, the representative finally checked our address. She said we weren't in the coverage area at all, yet the salesman assured me that we were. Fortunately, the second rep was very apologetic and had UPS return labels in our inbox within an hour. Still waiting on the refund...

I can't day about the service itself, but beware the salesmen!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 AM

13 posts, read 27,314 times
Both my wife and I have online businesses and we have to be available online 24/7 we decided to keep both U-verse and Clear. Usually my wife is on one, and I'm on the other but I can't tell which I'm on unless I look at the router or do a speed test. Re the speed test. If the speed is 11.5 then I know I'm on U-verse if it varies then I know I'm on Clear. We subscribe to Netflix and note that both U-verse and Clear have short outages once in a while. Even as consistant as U-verse is I will sometimes have Netflix tell me my speed is varying and the streaming movie has to make adjustments.
Regarding service...When we first went to sign up for U-verse the salesperson sold us the whole TV-Phone- Internet package. She told us the "node" was "right down the street" When the installers came out they said we were too far from the node to get the TV signal but Internet would work fine for us. We went ahead with the Internet connection and we get a constant 11.5 download. We've never had to contact support so I can't report on how good or bad it is.
THe Clear salesperson was outstanding. He always told us the absolute truth even when it was bad news. We got to the point where we trusted anything he said and he never dissappointed us. Unfortunatly he left Clear and went to work for another Internet service. When we first hooked up to Clear we had some issues and found that telephone support was good once you got past the level one staff. All they do is tell you to move your modem around. Level two gets down to business faster.
Which is better? When CLear is running good you can't beat it. Speeds up in the 20's !! But it's not that way all the time. Sometimes the speed will go down to around 6 and that's all they guarentee. Our U-verse always has the same speed ,11.5 . As soon as they up the speed in our area I'll subscribe to the faster speed.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:06 AM

420 posts, read 1,013,912 times
If you have a new sprint 4g phone you can figure out if clear will work for you. We have one and dont get any signal for it at home. Have to use 3g. But out in town the 4g works great.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 AM

129 posts, read 270,712 times
Regular AT&T internet service is now being offered, any speed up to 6mbps for $24.95 a month for 12 months. I already use them for my landline, so I signed up. Yo also get a $100 gift card if you switch from cable, and a rebate (including shipping) on the equipment if you buy it from them. As soon as I am live on Friday, turning in all my TWC equip, going for the basic HD TV channels over the air and using netflix... i hate cable companies.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:08 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,735,284 times
SBC (AT&T) continues to suck ~

Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,735,284 times
Please indulge me while I document why AT&T CONTINUES to suck!! (And why I have 1/2 dz new holes in my living room walls! )

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio