U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:25 PM

512 posts, read 1,433,067 times

Advertisements

Well the weather definitely sounds attractive. I like 4 seasons as well, but I do like warm weather better. Well it sounds like everyone has been pleased with there choice. Now don't get me wrong I understand places have there ups and downs, but I just would like to be in a place that will allow me to be with my family more and more slowed down.

I've enjoyed living in D.C. and I would recommend staying here to jumpstart a career. However raising a family out here is a bit tough with the commutes and the focus of getting your career together to buy that 350,000 plus single family home. I appreciate everyone's opinion, and the Sticky index for San Antonio is very organized. It answered all of my questions. I know Texas is a hotbed for revocations right now. I hope that San Antonio won't get too big too fast. Speaking of which how do you all see San Antonio in the future another Atlanta and Houston (grew too fast and crowded), or more like St Louis and Richmond, va nice and steady growth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Jayman

My family and I moved from Hampstead (north central MD) in 2005 after I retired from the USAF. I like the pace of life here more than there, I like the cost of living here more than there and I believe the people are more overtly friendly here than there. I used to commute to MacLean, VA so the traffic is definitely better here than there, although I will admit that traffic has tended to be a bit more frantic the last couple of years. Still, I haven't run into any 25 mile back ups, you don't have to worry about beating the snow home from work (it can get dicey here in the rain) and aside from an annoying tendency of others who HAVE TO speed up to get in front of you, it's not all that bad. I am not a particular lover of the summer weather here (goes from about May to October) and I do miss the fall, but this time of the year and on into April or so, you couldn't ask for nicer weather. Overall, I really like living here. Believe me, you can do much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 PM

744 posts, read 1,072,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Well Newk you answered my question about traffic. I live in Clinton, MD (Prince George's County). I'm very familiar with Springfield. Can you tell what you like and don't like as it compares to D.C. Area?
I also moved down here from NOVA. Used to live in Woodbridge and drive into PG county for work, Clinton/Waldorf. I think the traffic here is not as bad as NOVA. Here there seems to be alot of accidents but there are access roads and alternate routes the plenty to avoid most of them. I also thought the weather was brutal my first summer. Now it is bearable (4 years later) The housing prices are alot better than they were up there. San Antonio is still growing so job market has not been hit as bad as other places in the country. Hope you enjoy your visit and look forward to another out of stater on our roads.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 AM

73 posts, read 206,087 times
I recently moved back to SA after living in the DC area for almost 2 years. I lived in a high-rise apartment building in Alexandria, VA (across 395 from Landmark Mall) and worked at the Pentagon. Luckily for me, I did not have to deal with traffic or parking on my daily commute to work. I rode a Metrobus that started its route at my apartment building and ended at the Pentagon. I had lived in SA for about 20 years before moving to VA, so it was quite a change. I enjoyed the experience of living and working in the DC area, especially the 4 seasons (cherry blossoms in the spring, warm-hot summers, fall foliage, and cold winters with occasional snow), the multitude of things to do, the proximity of places to visit close enough for day trips (NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Ocean City, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, etc.), excellent career opportunities, and so on. However, I did not like the heavy traffic and especially the high cost of living. Every location has its advantages and disadvantages, and it is no different for both SA and the DC area.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:01 PM

So what exactly are the disadvantages of living in San Antonio. All I hear is the good part. I guess cause the good appeals more to my situation than anything.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 PM

160 posts, read 197,561 times
Click "search this forum" on the right (from the main SA thread page...not within a thread) , then type in "San Antonio negatives"...that'll bring up a whole bevy of threads. If we start with the negatives, this thread will turn ugly quickly, always does.

Last edited by FCF's Wife; 11-18-2009 at 06:35 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 06:32 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
Quote:
So what exactly are the disadvantages of living in San Antonio. All I hear is the good part. I guess cause the good appeals more to my situation than anything.
One person's advantages may be another's disadvantage. For instance, some people hate the heat, making it a disadvantage. Some love it, which would make it an advantage. Why don't you ask some specific questions and you may get some good OPINIONS? There are no right and wrong OPINIONS, despite what some people say (on here).

Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 PM

Hmmm Well lets see. How are African Americans treated in S.A.? I grew up in D.C. and P.G. county, MD my whole life. I have been out side of the area before, but I'm so use to blacks as the majority. Now don't get me wrong, I love diversity and would welcome any and every race, I actually am interested in the Hispanic culture, but I just wanted to know how we are perceived on that end. I notice that we are 6% percent of the population.

Don't really mean to make it a race issue, but kinda want to know how people are towards not only A.A.'s but other races as well. I hope this does not offend anyone.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:54 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,473,038 times
This may not be the most in-depth answer but SA has the nation's largest MLK day parade, that should tell you something.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:33 PM

160 posts, read 197,561 times
Quote:
Hmmm Well lets see. How are African Americans treated in S.A.? I grew up in D.C. and P.G. county, MD my whole life. I have been out side of the area before, but I'm so use to blacks as the majority. Now don't get me wrong, I love diversity and would welcome any and every race, I actually am interested in the Hispanic culture, but I just wanted to know how we are perceived on that end. I notice that we are 6% percent of the population.

Don't really mean to make it a race issue, but kinda want to know how people are towards not only A.A.'s but other races as well. I hope this does not offend anyone.
Did you do what I suggested above to find the negative threads?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,473,038 times
Quote:
Don't really mean to make it a race issue, but kinda want to know how people are towards not only A.A.'s but other races as well.
SA is a minority majority city, races of all kinds get along here. I'm not just sugar coating this for you.

Quote:
I hope this does not offend anyone.
Not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or