U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,479,543 times

Advertisements

jayman, you may want to check out Laura Heights Estates.

Aerial view of Laura Heights Estates

Two year old Google Street View

I'll basically a mid-to-high end subdivision on the far northeast/east side. I've been told it's a subdivision that's entirely exclusively black. There are a lot of subdivisions on the east/far east sides and northeast/far northeast sides that are majority black however, Laura Heights Estates is the most high end subdivision to be majority black (and from friends, almost 100% black) plus there's a beautiful church just down the road called Maranatha Baptist Church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 03:19 AM

83 posts, read 202,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Hmmm Well lets see. How are African Americans treated in S.A.? I grew up in D.C. and P.G. county, MD my whole life. I have been out side of the area before, but I'm so use to blacks as the majority. Now don't get me wrong, I love diversity and would welcome any and every race, I actually am interested in the Hispanic culture, but I just wanted to know how we are perceived on that end. I notice that we are 6% percent of the population.

Don't really mean to make it a race issue, but kinda want to know how people are towards not only A.A.'s but other races as well. I hope this does not offend anyone.
I'm in the 2% category...

Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,173,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
SA is a minority majority city, races of all kinds get along here. I'm not just sugar coating this for you.
I agree, SA is tolerant of all races. It is a predominantly Hispanic city, but there is no racial tension that I have ever been able to detect...

Plus, with the large number of military and ex-military here, there is a healthy mix of numerous minorities (Whites, African Americans, Asians, etc).

Old 11-20-2009, 06:59 AM

512 posts, read 1,437,133 times
Yes ma'am I did. The positive far outweigh the negatives. Crime, Gangs, lack of public transportation, that doesn't really bother me. Well I'm happy that it seems to be accepting to all races. I grew up my whole life living around black folks. It took me going into the Air Force to realize that there is life outside of black folks. I'm not looking to stay in a section exclusively for African Americans.

I want to be in a diverse environment. I want my kids to be exposed to it so they won't be closed minded like I was growing up. It only enlightens the human mind and spirit to surround yourself with different ethnicity and different perspective in life. Just my thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF's Wife View Post
Did you do what I suggested above to find the negative threads?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:11 AM

4,263 posts, read 9,717,155 times
If none of that stuff bothers you...then you're good to go. No complaining once you get here though!! There were a few threads from a black man that felt there was definite discrimination against him a while back...I'll try to find them so that you can read,but it's been a while.

Here's one to chew on for a while.

To The Hispanics of San Antonio

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 11-20-2009 at 07:40 AM..

Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 AM

2,260 posts, read 4,954,555 times
Quote:
Yes ma'am I did. The positive far outweigh the negatives. Crime, Gangs, lack of public transportation, that doesn't really bother me. Well I'm happy that it seems to be accepting to all races. I grew up my whole life living around black folks. It took me going into the Air Force to realize that there is life outside of black folks. I'm not looking to stay in a section exclusively for African Americans.

I want to be in a diverse environment. I want my kids to be exposed to it so they won't be closed minded like I was growing up. It only enlightens the human mind and spirit to surround yourself with different ethnicity and different perspective in life. Just my thought
I grew up in central Illinois in a town of 900 white people. I moved to St. Louis when I got out of college and lived there for years. I became quite accustomed to having nearly-equal Black and white majorities. Then I moved here and man alive. There were no Black people anywhere! :lol It was, admittedly, strange to move to this city where the majority is Hispanic and where the Black population is tiny.

And when I moved, I didn't really understand that the Hispanic culture is different from "white" (or gringo, if you will) culture. The Hispanics I knew in the StL area considered themselves "white" and had little to no specific culture related to their Hispanic heritage.

So. Culture shock when I moved here, to be sure. But then I met my husband who seems to know everyone in the city so that really broadened my social circle and that helped me feel more at home.

Just my take and my opinions and my experiences. But I do think you will feel welcomed here. As others have mentioned, the military presence in town brings all kinds and creeds and colors.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 PM

512 posts, read 1,437,133 times
I appreciate everyones input. If I'm getting this much info on a thread I could only imagine what it would be living San Antonio. Well thank you both the Mrs and I are still debating between Fort Worth and San Antonio. I'm pulling for S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
If none of that stuff bothers you...then you're good to go. No complaining once you get here though!! There were a few threads from a black man that felt there was definite discrimination against him a while back...I'll try to find them so that you can read,but it's been a while.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I grew up in central Illinois in a town of 900 white people. I moved to St. Louis when I got out of college and lived there for years. I became quite accustomed to having nearly-equal Black and white majorities. Then I moved here and man alive. There were no Black people anywhere! :lol It was, admittedly, strange to move to this city where the majority is Hispanic and where the Black population is tiny.

And when I moved, I didn't really understand that the Hispanic culture is different from "white" (or gringo, if you will) culture. The Hispanics I knew in the StL area considered themselves "white" and had little to no specific culture related to their Hispanic heritage.

So. Culture shock when I moved here, to be sure. But then I met my husband who seems to know everyone in the city so that really broadened my social circle and that helped me feel more at home.

Just my take and my opinions and my experiences. But I do think you will feel welcomed here. As others have mentioned, the military presence in town brings all kinds and creeds and colors.
this is why I love this country so much...
you get the taste of everything...
west coast, east coast, central, southern...they're all so different...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or