U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:52 AM

512 posts, read 1,437,834 times

Advertisements

Good day to all. My wife and I are interested in the city of San Antonio. I would like to know what do you think about the area, schools and most important good websites or places to seek jobs? I have family out there so were going to come and visit in April of 2010.

We are tired of the hustle and bustle of D.C. area and the home prices are just ridiculous. Spending an hour to get to work is just ridiculous. So I would love everyone's opinions. I would also like to hear form individuals whom have relocated from D.C. area and now in San Antonio. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,183,432 times
Jayman

Let me refer you to the thread stickied atop this forum...

San Antonio Relocation Information Index

I used to be stationed up in the Baltimore-Washington area, almost in between the two cities (Ft Meade). I liked the area but hated how congested it got, and my commute wasn't that bad (I lived in Laurel at first, then Glen Burnie). I bought a condo for what I could've bought a house for down here at the the time (early 90s). My wife still has family up there, just over the Pennsylvania line; but I wouldn't live there if you paid me (and I get job offers all the time).

San Antonio is just that much nicer, the weather better, the people friendlier, and the cost-of-living much lower. But understand SA and DC are very different, so some aspects may not be to everyone's liking. We love Texas, and SA and the Hill Country suite us well; but you will find out how much you like it when you come in April.

Speaking of which, we usually have nice weather that time of year but the summers here are very hot and dry (59 days over 100° last year, and a nasty drought!). It will take you a year or two to become acclimated, and some never do. Plus, allergies (mountain cedar in particular) are bad here; and that tends to affect some people pretty hard. So there are some downsides to the area, but I have yet to find someplace that doesn’t have them (although Switzerland came close!).

Hope that helps, just remember that this is one man's opinion and others may not necessarily agree...

Cheers! M2

Old 11-17-2009, 11:00 AM

2,260 posts, read 4,956,751 times
I hope you're not coming during Fiesta week in April (April 15-25, 2010). Fiesta is a BLAST but perhaps not the best time to get a feel for what San Antonio is really like. Here's Fiesta's official website, in case you're curious as to what it's all about: Fiesta San Antonio :: Fiesta 2010 Official Website

Now. About allergies. I moved here from St. Louis 12 years ago and I rarely have allergy issues, whereas up there I had terrible headaches and sinus infections, all related to allergies. So while some people do have bad allergies here, not everyone does. One of the biggest benefits of living here for me, aside from "winter", is that I no longer am knocked down by allergies every spring and fall.

I have to say that I love living in San Antonio. I do get homesick sometimes, but I'd rather deal with that than with the horrid winters up there.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Majormadmax, Thanks for the reply. Well the 90's weren't too bad price wise around here. Now it's just plain ridiculous. Making 100,000 doesn't really get you very close, that is if you don't want to live in a condo. When I got out in 05 the traffic has gotten worse. Anyway enough of that. I was out in San Antonio in 2001. It was a nice area. Although I wished I had more time to explore, I came away with a positive view of the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Jayman

Let me refer you to the thread stickied atop this forum...

San Antonio Relocation Information Index

I used to be stationed up in the Baltimore-Washington area, almost in between the two cities (Ft Meade). I liked the area but hated how congested it got, and my commute wasn't that bad (I lived in Laurel at first, then Glen Burnie). I bought a condo for what I could've bought a house for down here at the the time (early 90s). My wife still has family up there, just over the Pennsylvania line; but I wouldn't live there if you paid me (and I get job offers all the time).

San Antonio is just that much nicer, the weather better, the people friendlier, and the cost-of-living much lower. But understand SA and DC are very different, so some aspects may not be to everyone's liking. We love Texas, and SA and the Hill Country suite us well; but you will find out how much you like it when you come in April.

Speaking of which, we usually have nice weather that time of year but the summers here are very hot and dry (59 days over 100° last year, and a nasty drought!). It will take you a year or two to become acclimated, and some never do. Plus, allergies (mountain cedar in particular) are bad here; and that tends to affect some people pretty hard. So there are some downsides to the area, but I have yet to find someplace that doesn’t have them (although Switzerland came close!).

Hope that helps, just remember that this is one man's opinion and others may not necessarily agree...

Cheers! M2

Old 11-17-2009, 11:19 AM

993 posts, read 2,196,195 times
Hey man, relocated here from Springfield, VA back in September 2008. I am not military, but do work with them. One thing I was surprised about is that full coverage car insurance is more expensive here than NOVA, actually a lot more. Every third car is a pickup truck/SUV instead of a BMW 3series. Drivers are very impatient as well, but people are really nice once you get them out of their cars. San Antonio is pretty big, so even going a couple of miles you can get huge changes in demographics/earning potentials. Last summer was my first here, and boy was it brutal. But I like it here, and my wife is still getting used to it.

I commuted from Springfield to NW D.C. and it was 17 miles, but sometimes it took 30 minutes, sometimes it took an hour. Now commute is pretty consistently 20 mins. One piece of advice I would give is to live near where you work. A lot of people don't, and it makes traffic absolutely brutal in some areas. Any further questions just PM me.

Are you in Montgomery County?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:26 AM

LindaGrace thanks for the heads up. I'll adjust dates for a better experience. Oh forgot to ask how is traffic in and around San Antonio?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I hope you're not coming during Fiesta week in April (April 15-25, 2010). Fiesta is a BLAST but perhaps not the best time to get a feel for what San Antonio is really like. Here's Fiesta's official website, in case you're curious as to what it's all about: Fiesta San Antonio :: Fiesta 2010 Official Website

Now. About allergies. I moved here from St. Louis 12 years ago and I rarely have allergy issues, whereas up there I had terrible headaches and sinus infections, all related to allergies. So while some people do have bad allergies here, not everyone does. One of the biggest benefits of living here for me, aside from "winter", is that I no longer am knocked down by allergies every spring and fall.

I have to say that I love living in San Antonio. I do get homesick sometimes, but I'd rather deal with that than with the horrid winters up there.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 AM

Well Newk you answered my question about traffic. I live in Clinton, MD (Prince George's County). I'm very familiar with Springfield. Can you tell what you like and don't like as it compares to D.C. Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Hey man, relocated here from Springfield, VA back in September 2008. I am not military, but do work with them. One thing I was surprised about is that full coverage car insurance is more expensive here than NOVA, actually a lot more. Every third car is a pickup truck/SUV instead of a BMW 3series. Drivers are very impatient as well, but people are really nice once you get them out of their cars. San Antonio is pretty big, so even going a couple of miles you can get huge changes in demographics/earning potentials. Last summer was my first here, and boy was it brutal. But I like it here, and my wife is still getting used to it.

I commuted from Springfield to NW D.C. and it was 17 miles, but sometimes it took 30 minutes, sometimes it took an hour. Now commute is pretty consistently 20 mins. One piece of advice I would give is to live near where you work. A lot of people don't, and it makes traffic absolutely brutal in some areas. Any further questions just PM me.

Are you in Montgomery County?

Old 11-17-2009, 12:42 PM

27 posts, read 60,782 times
Jayman - I was born and raised in Elkton and left in '81 after joining the USAF. I have been here in SA since '86 and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Maryland has seasons, snow and weather that SA doesn't. I never had any allergy problems till I ran into the "wonderful" maountain cedar that's so abundant here. When I go back home it clears up. There's so much to do here and if you want to see something else just jump on a highway and visit Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston or south to the beach. As it says on comercials every now and then - Texas - it's own country.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:04 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,720,862 times
I'll DM you my thoughts on the area.

http://bestsmileys.com/sad/8.gif (broken link)

Old 11-17-2009, 04:21 PM

33 posts, read 108,223 times
Jayman

My family and I moved from Hampstead (north central MD) in 2005 after I retired from the USAF. I like the pace of life here more than there, I like the cost of living here more than there and I believe the people are more overtly friendly here than there. I used to commute to MacLean, VA so the traffic is definitely better here than there, although I will admit that traffic has tended to be a bit more frantic the last couple of years. Still, I haven't run into any 25 mile back ups, you don't have to worry about beating the snow home from work (it can get dicey here in the rain) and aside from an annoying tendency of others who HAVE TO speed up to get in front of you, it's not all that bad. I am not a particular lover of the summer weather here (goes from about May to October) and I do miss the fall, but this time of the year and on into April or so, you couldn't ask for nicer weather. Overall, I really like living here. Believe me, you can do much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or