U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:53 PM

57 posts, read 284,002 times

Advertisements

We live in the Larkspur subdivision and over the past week, we're becoming more and more afraid to be out in the street thanks to some neighbours and their dogs. The most recent "escapee" is a brown Boxer-Pitbull mix that has been loose 5 times this week alone and belongs to the neighbours next-door-but-one. At first, we thought it was friendly, until yesterday when it literally charged at my sister-in-law, ears back, teeth bared and growling. I don't know what would have happened if she hadn't jumped back into her car and slammed the door shut.
She confronted the neighbours who own the dog, told them she'd called both animal control and the police, and their attitude was, "Do whatcha gotta do but the dog's not dangerous".
Yeah right, tell that to someone like me who, every night, I am out walking my little dog and am petrified of coming face to face with this monster.
What the hell does it take around here for people to be more responsible with their animals?
My husband wants me to take his gun out with me, but the thought of killing a dog is unbearable, but at the same time, what the hell else can I do if it comes at me or attacks my dog?
I've been told to avoid pepper spray/Mace because it supposedly just angers dogs even more... anyone know for sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
Call 311 and report 'em. Dogs aren't supposed to run loose.

According to Elisa Chan's latest newsletter, the District 9 Council office seems to be focused on the problems in the Larkspur neighborhood ATM. Give her office a call and see what they recommend.

Council District 9 - City of San Antonio

Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 PM

744 posts, read 1,074,360 times
With the pepper spray/mace most of the time it may work but not reliable enough to chance. I think calling 311 and reporting the dog is the best way. You said escapee 5 times in a week. I think the owner needs to be educated by the authorities on how to secure the animal before the city has to secure it for them. So you "would be doing what ya gotta do"

Old 11-18-2009, 10:03 AM

790 posts, read 1,610,030 times
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I used to live in SA and one of the things I absolutely hated was the constant presence of loose dogs. My little dachshund started to refuse to go for walks. She sensed my nervousness, I'm convinced. She was attacked by a chow and would have been attacked by a shar pei if I had not grabbed her before he did. The shar pei then jumped on me. The owner pulled him off, but acted like it was no big deal.

I never cease to be amazed at the large number of loose dogs throughout San Antonio. In September, the Express-News ran an article stating that almost 100,000 stray dogs are estimated to roam SA/Bexar County.

Collaring the problem of stray dogs
Quote: “In some neighborhoods, residents are worried that unleashed dogs are taking over their streets. Some people have given up running, riding bikes or even venturing outside for very long.”

What a way to live.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 PM

161 posts, read 438,543 times
I live near Patricia and I am starting to see more loose dogs around here too. If I see one coming my way, I will change my direction but if it comes after me, believe me, I got something for it.

I really like dogs but I refuse to be a chew toy. No one (especially kids) should be afraid to ride their bikes or walk their neighborhood because of roaming dogs.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 AM

14,626 posts, read 31,210,098 times
There's a dog in my neighborhood that has tried to attack me twice now. Both times I bared my teeth at him and growled, lunging at him and he backed off. The second time it happened, the dog's owners were standing there watching me freak out (there was a 4 yr old walking with us) and the lady says all calmly "Oh, he doesn't bite." I went completely off on her. Sure looked like he wanted to bite me. They acted like I was in the wrong somehow and there was no concern at all about keeping their dog tied up. I walk down that street nearly every day, so next time, I'm calling 311. He's a beautiful Lab mix, but he's just way too aggressive to be loose in their front yard.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:43 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,025,412 times
If it appears that you're in immediate danger, I wouldn't call 311, but 911 and request an officer come out. While 311 is good in most circumstances, I think you need a cop..

Old 11-19-2009, 08:05 AM

790 posts, read 1,610,030 times
Calling 311 will do no good. And the Express-News article mentions that, too. The city's kennels are full. Animal Control officers have no place to put them, so they have no choice but to let the animal stay with the errant owner.

It's a viscious cycle and I don't know what the answer is. I'm just glad to be out of the situation, though I truly feel for those still living in/dealing with this culture every day.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:22 AM

14,626 posts, read 31,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
If it appears that you're in immediate danger, I wouldn't call 311, but 911 and request an officer come out. While 311 is good in most circumstances, I think you need a cop..
I wouldn't stop in the middle of it and call 311.....I meant afterwards. And 911 would be a bit of overkill, IMO, unless he actually bit me.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:23 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,471,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
Calling 311 will do no good. And the Express-News article mentions that, too. The city's kennels are full. Animal Control officers have no place to put them, so they have no choice but to let the animal stay with the errant owner.

It's a viscious cycle and I don't know what the answer is. I'm just glad to be out of the situation, though I truly feel for those still living in/dealing with this culture every day.
I hear ya. There's this dog in my mother in law's apartment complex and we've called numerous times but to no avail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio