U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2009, 05:59 PM

71 posts, read 64,219 times

Advertisements

My neighbor is constructing a huge, separate building in his back yard. It is an eyesore and is very close to our shared fence line and I believe it also extends into the easement. The neighbors are doing all the work themselves and I don't believe they are using a licensed contractor. How do I verify they've obtained a building permit? Is there a place on-line that I can query or a city department that I can call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 06:08 PM

1,700 posts, read 2,477,121 times
If it is within San Antonio City Limits, you can click on the link below and enter the address to see if any permits have been obtained for that address recently.
City of San Antonio - List Permits For An Address

Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 PM

71 posts, read 64,219 times
Thanks so much, ged_782! I ran a search and no permit has been obtained for the neighbor's address. Hmmm. Now to decide if I'll file a complaint with the city or not.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 PM

777 posts, read 1,620,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campingsis View Post
Thanks so much, ged_782! I ran a search and no permit has been obtained for the neighbor's address. Hmmm. Now to decide if I'll file a complaint with the city or not.
You can file a Code Compliance complaint as simple as calling 3-1-1 and providing the address and info. You are not required to leave your name.

That is assuming you want to go that route.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:37 PM

1,700 posts, read 2,477,121 times
A permit is supposed to be posted on the property or in a window where it can be seen from the street (although you would have to get up close to read what it says).

If you do end up reporting it, they will probably send an inspector to that address to determine if any work is being done that would require a permit. If so, they will issue a Stop Work Order, until the owner obtains the necessary permits and pays any applicable fees or fines.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:35 AM

23 posts, read 50,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
...If you do end up reporting it, they will probably send an inspector to that address to determine if any work is being done that would require a permit. If so, they will issue a Stop Work Order, until the owner obtains the necessary permits and pays any applicable fees or fines.
And you will destroy any relationship you may have had with your neighbor.

Not advocating that someone skirt the permit requirements... just that you might wanna talk to them before ratting them out. They'll still be mad, just maybe not as much.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:31 AM

687 posts, read 896,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
And you will destroy any relationship you may have had with your neighbor.
Not necessarily. In my neighborhood, we will have people who live many streets away call 311 about work done without permits. I guess it all depends on the neighborhood. Mine likes to gossip, so everyone knows that "the blue house" is trying to put in a new garage in the back, or that "the green house" wants to add a fence. Granted, we are a historic district, so neighbors expect a higher level of rule following (if that makes any sense). Usually the only people who complain are the "flippers".

Old 11-19-2009, 02:53 PM

343 posts, read 1,043,787 times
I am so glad that I live in the country and do not have to worry about people calling the damn bureaucrats on me. I do not see how people put up with having THEIR property under the strict rules of these damn HOA's also. Some of these ridiculous housing authorities are just like the government, they want CONTROL. What the hell difference is it that someone is building a building on their property. 99% of the reason for these "permits" is just so the city can raise their taxes!! Not for any legitimate concerns about safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio