U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 PM
 
Location: South Side
3,770 posts, read 7,292,942 times
Reputation: 2852

Advertisements

I'm watching FOX news at 9 and this is the first I have heard that Karen Martinez was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Shes very young - how scary for her and her family. She had a good segment tonite about her personal diagnosis.

KABB Biographies - Karen Martinez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2009, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,807 posts, read 26,347,503 times
Reputation: 3989
I saw that last night too and thought she was telling another person's story in first person. It is definitely an evil disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Near downtown SA
113 posts, read 392,804 times
Reputation: 86
I wish her the very best as well. These days they're calling this a "chronic" disease since there are more treatment options that are keeping women alive longer but it is an awful disease that I myself have been fighting most recently since 2007. I will most likely always be in some kind of chemo until it stops working.

Continuing to Hope for a cure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:25 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
5,142 posts, read 11,475,082 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayover20 View Post
I wish her the very best as well. These days they're calling this a "chronic" disease since there are more treatment options that are keeping women alive longer but it is an awful disease that I myself have been fighting most recently since 2007. I will most likely always be in some kind of chemo until it stops working.

Continuing to Hope for a cure.
Wish you the best too Wayover20. Keep up the good fight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Near downtown SA
113 posts, read 392,804 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Wish you the best too Wayover20. Keep up the good fight!
Thanks so much skeet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 11:14 PM
 
15,065 posts, read 19,698,609 times
Reputation: 12234
Good luck wayover20,
can you tell us a little bit about it, I have no idea of what it is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Near downtown SA
113 posts, read 392,804 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Good luck wayover20,
can you tell us a little bit about it, I have no idea of what it is like.
Hello Dopo! Everyones journey is different but in my case back in 1/2007, I could feel a "thickness" to my left breast only when I would lie on my stomach to sleep. A mammogram found nothing but the ultrasound found a large mass back near the chest wall. Surgery took what it could but left a small area behind so chemo came next. A year later it came back as another mass between my lungs and surgery was not an option so back to chemo and radiation.

While still under treatment it showed up in my bones (awful pain!)and skin so radiation was added to the mix. The idea is to keep it from growing/spreading and ideally to kill it off and have no further evidence of disease as long as you can. Breast cancer has 4 stages and late stage is #4 which is where I unfortunately am so we're trying to control it. I am grateful for every day and for my situation because there are so many others in worse situations.

I have yet to be able to return to work since walking is an issue with the bone aches, but with Gods favor I'll get well enough to at least try part-time. I've been a nurse for 34 years.

Thanks for asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 04:40 PM
 
Location: South Side
3,770 posts, read 7,292,942 times
Reputation: 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayover20 View Post
Hello Dopo! Everyones journey is different but in my case back in 1/2007, I could feel a "thickness" to my left breast only when I would lie on my stomach to sleep. A mammogram found nothing but the ultrasound found a large mass back near the chest wall. Surgery took what it could but left a small area behind so chemo came next. A year later it came back as another mass between my lungs and surgery was not an option so back to chemo and radiation.

While still under treatment it showed up in my bones (awful pain!)and skin so radiation was added to the mix. The idea is to keep it from growing/spreading and ideally to kill it off and have no further evidence of disease as long as you can. Breast cancer has 4 stages and late stage is #4 which is where I unfortunately am so we're trying to control it. I am grateful for every day and for my situation because there are so many others in worse situations.

I have yet to be able to return to work since walking is an issue with the bone aches, but with Gods favor I'll get well enough to at least try part-time. I've been a nurse for 34 years.

Thanks for asking.
Thank you for sharing your story. Stay strong and hang in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Status: "Amused by Blue" (set 11 days ago)
 
14,627 posts, read 31,217,395 times
Reputation: 6683
And I hope women are listening to their bodies and not the government when it comes to their breast health. I cry when I think of how many women would be dead if there were no mammos till the age of 50.

I'm going for my 2nd one of the year on Weds.

(and an ultrasound)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 06:30 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,216 posts, read 3,994,256 times
Reputation: 1180
My gyn just told me the govt is changing its recommendation for women to have mamos beginning at age 50!!!! I sure hope women listen to their doctors and go way before then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top