U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:48 AM

490 posts, read 969,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
I highly disagree with this statement. I mean, half of the times I have gone to Houston it has been because of a museum exhibit. I've seen some of the Dead Sea scrolls in a museum in Montreal, and even in Pittsburgh (which has really been revitalized recently) we visited a museum (they have the Andy Warhol one).

After all, who hasn't gone to Paris and not paid a visit to the Louvre?
Agree. As anywhere, visitors to San Antonio are of all types. That said, I think the location still hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 PM

54 posts, read 131,566 times
Quote:
I highly disagree with this statement. I mean, half of the times I have gone to Houston it has been because of a museum exhibit. I've seen some of the Dead Sea scrolls in a museum in Montreal, and even in Pittsburgh (which has really been revitalized recently) we visited a museum (they have the Andy Warhol one).

After all, who hasn't gone to Paris and not paid a visit to the Louvre?
You may highly disagree Montirob....but you speak for yourself. You left out the part where I said I worked at the Mercado. Not all tourists are here to visit a museum exhibit. You said it yourself...you went to Houston, Montreal, and even Pittsburgh to see Warhol. Where at Market Square do you find anything of that caliber? Not all tourists have big bucks to spend!! They look for a deal because 99.9% of the merchants sell the SAME stuff. If the Museo would seriously change it's venue, maybe things would pickup there. And if our own Witte Museum would expand, or if San Antonio would build a quality museum, people would not have to travel so far to see a great exhibit.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:29 PM

6,151 posts, read 8,609,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mission-sundancer View Post
You said it yourself...you went to Houston, Montreal, and even Pittsburgh to see Warhol. Where at Market Square do you find anything of that caliber?
They've had some pretty "high caliber" stuff, in my opinion. They are associated with the Smithsonian, after all. But, of course...major is all subjective and not objective. You can see a list of there exhibits: Alameda - Currently On View

I think the Frida Kalho stuff is pretty amazing. I want to get out and see it.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 PM

790 posts, read 3,617,225 times
Quote:
I used to work at the Mercado. I spoke to tired tourists all day long. Hardly any of them wanted to waste their time, or their money in a museum. All they wanted was a good deal and advice on where the best place to eat was. <snip> Can't wrap up a failing museum and take it back as a gift to Aunt Gertie in Idaho!!
Quote:
I highly disagree with this statement. I mean, half of the times I have gone to Houston it has been because of a museum exhibit. I've seen some of the Dead Sea scrolls in a museum in Montreal, and even in Pittsburgh (which has really been revitalized recently) we visited a museum (they have the Andy Warhol one). After all, who hasn't gone to Paris and not paid a visit to the Louvre?
With all due respect, the Alameda is not quite the Louvre. At the same time, not all tourists are fat, uneducated, enchilada-swallowing, Mercado-crap-buying sheep.

Texas Tourism (Texas Tourism - Home) and the SA Convention and Vistors Bureau (San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com) have both conducted a great deal of research on visitor types, motivation for visits and spending per visit. Cultural tourists (tourists whose primary objective for travel is to visit a historical site, museum or arts event) comprise 7% of visits to Texas and as much as 13% of visits to San Antonio. These types of travelers spend an average of $1,787 per trip. In comparison, 37% of tourists have sightseeing, entertainment and shopping as their primary visit purpose. These travelers spend an average of $2,018 or $2,311 per trip, depending on which source you look at.

I am all for cultural tourism, and have made many trips of my own to see exhibits or participate in arts events around the country. But those who engage in this type of travel need to understand that the masses do not travel for the primary purpose of viewing or participating in cultural/arts experiences. Arts and cultural activities are only incidental for a typical tourist.

That said, much much more could have and should have been done to market the Alameda effectively to both locals and tourists. Neither the rotating cast of characters who have served as “director” of the museum nor the board of directors have provided strong leadership or resources for effectively marketing the museum. It has truly had some wonderful exhibitions (that, unlike previous posters have said, cannot be seen just anywhere on the streets of San Antonio). And through its affiliation with the Smithsonian, the Alameda has access to world-class exhibitions and resources that could really have huge impact on the city. What’s lacking is effective leadership (fundraising by the board) and smart implementation (staff who know how the heck to market). I certainly hope they find some of both soon.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:32 PM

355 posts, read 1,244,031 times
Im sure everyone replying to this thread is an expert on art and what should be in a museum or exhibit.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:19 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
I'm no expert in art, or museums. All I know is that what they've had to offer hasn't interested me. And until it does, I'm not inclined to visit. Nothing personal - just not stuff I'm interested in to date.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:09 AM

173 posts, read 539,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Museo Alameda in financial straits (http://www.sacultura.com/Museo_Alameda_in_financial_straits.html - broken link)

The multi-million dollar museum opened in 2007. It was anticipated to attract 400,000 visitors per year, but hasn't even attracted 30,000 so far this year. They are operating with $1.5 million in losses on top of $1 million in debt.

I have not visited this museum and I do not plan too. It really doesn't interest me. A lot of public money went to this project too. It's sad to see money wasted just because a study performed in the 1990s shows that Latinos were undeserved by the Smithsonian. Perhaps a more generalized museum with a wing for Latino art would have been more attractive? Just because we have a lot of tourists and have a heavy Mexican influence doesn't mean we need an entire museum dedicated to that ethnicity. I think the Western Art museum (thanks to its Riverwalk location) will attract more guests and avoid the financial problems this institution is facing.
I was so excited when I first heard that we were getting a museum associated with the Smithsonian. I had visions of visiting the museum when they would bring exhibits from the other Smithsonians....but then I remembered that this is San Antonio and theres no way that was going to happen. Sure enough look what happened. I think you hit the nail on the head with why its not very popular, sadly.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,297 times
Quote:
... Tourist want a bargain...a souvenir...enchiloodles and a brewski...not a museum!!!
Are you kidding me with that? You obviously have never traveled to some of the great cities out there like Chicago, Savannah, London, Paris, Athens and any other spot that relies on its rich culture, vast history and incredible set of museums.

Idiot tourists want chotchkies only. A stong statement, yes, but if you're only traveling to see what kind of trinkety-crap you can bring back, you're traveling for the wrong reasons. Educate yourself. Enlighten.

BN

Old 11-25-2009, 09:52 AM

816 posts, read 1,475,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
With all due respect, the Alameda is not quite the Louvre. At the same time, not all tourists are fat, uneducated, enchilada-swallowing, Mercado-crap-buying sheep.
Yes. My (poor) attempt was to say that not every tourist just wants a sombrero/cowboy hat/helmet/(insert local headwear) and beer. I threw Pittsburgh in there because it is still considered a "blue-collar" town, and yet they attract tourists to their museums.

Obviously SA does not equal Paris, but do people add a day when they visit Paris because the Louvre is one of the attractions? When I was a kid, one of stops on the family trip to Washington DC was the Smithsonian. It wasn't the main reason we were going, but it was one of the reasons to extend our stay. If I were looking to visit San Antonio, I'm thinking that if I had kids, we might add the Witte Treehouse to the visit; or if I had teens, I would add the McNay to the visit (I'm thinking of when the Nightmare Before Christmas items were displayed). I believe I'm saying exactly what you are saying (incidental to the visit), but I would bet that the presence of the museums might be one the attractions that tips the scale in favor of a visit... or at least lengthens the visit.

That said, the lack of success makes one wonder if the museum would have worked better in the "Museum District" either adjacent to the SAMA or the Witte - it just feels weird in its current location. Maybe because the Museum is stressing the authentic but is plopped in the middle of something inauthentic?

I really hope the "Western Museum" in the old library works. Hopefully their marketing will stress that they aren't the "Buckhorn."

Old 11-25-2009, 11:01 AM

2,027 posts, read 6,354,641 times
Quote:
You may highly disagree Montirob....but you speak for yourself. You left out the part where I said I worked at the Mercado. Not all tourists are here to visit a museum exhibit. You said it yourself...you went to Houston, Montreal, and even Pittsburgh to see Warhol. Where at Market Square do you find anything of that caliber? Not all tourists have big bucks to spend!! They look for a deal because 99.9% of the merchants sell the SAME stuff. If the Museo would seriously change it's venue, maybe things would pickup there. And if our own Witte Museum would expand, or if San Antonio would build a quality museum, people would not have to travel so far to see a great exhibit.
The Witte is expanding.

Witte Museum - Capital Campaign 1 (http://www.wittemuseum.org/Capital%20Campaign/Master%20Plan%201.html - broken link)

It will add more than 65,000 sf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio