U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:35 PM

5,634 posts, read 13,939,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
and Dallas reminds me of the dust bowl.
I didn't know you were born in the 1930s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,616,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Well said. Completely agree. If people are looking for more of a professional career, look else where in Texas such as Austin, Dallas, or Houston. San Antonio is very blue collar and it is not attracting the corporate companies here to bring in more talents unfortunately.
But if you find a white collar job in San Antonio, you are going to be very well off.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 AM

575 posts, read 1,259,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexican View Post
Some more tips:

6) The city is growing very rapidly, and definately feeling some "growing pains". A lot of the long time residents seem to have a hard time accepting that the whole city isn't inside loop 410 anymore. The local infrastructure is somewhat strained as a result. While almost all of the native San Antonians I know are friendly people and good neighbors, they all seem to be very nostalgic and reluctant to accept change. This does not apply to those who have served in the military and lived abroad, which is a good portion of the population.
I'm a long time resident lived here most of my life besides a few other cities I've always consider outside of loop 410 a part of SA. I've never lived inside loop 410 before. I'm also an SA native that's perfectly fine with all the changes that have happened here. I like that SA is becoming bigger and growing. The city has changed a lot since the late 80s and early 90s.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:59 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,472,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
I can definitely relate to this. That's why this city is about a decade behind Austin, Dallas, and Houston. People don’t want change here.
We get it. Everything you post is going to be on the negative side, but enough with the hyperbole.

Though I'd love to know in what aspects SA is a decade behind? I'll be waiting in utter anticipation... not really.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:30 PM

62 posts, read 125,980 times
As a former DC resident myself, that is a hell of a good list.... spot on.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:50 AM

790 posts, read 1,604,392 times
New Texican -- Good list and thanks for posting. Can you address what you've found in relation to cost of living differential and travel time to work?

My company in McLean has about 500 jobs moving to San Antonio and is recruiting hard to get people there. The video on San Antonio is really good, but off the record they are talking up "20 minute commutes" and a "40% drop in cost of living." I've kept my mouth shut, even when the nice little video exclaimed the average temperature is 68 degrees. This stat is actually correct -- if you average the temps beginning in 1890. Start in the 1990s, and 68 degrees is nowhere near the average temp.

I think San Antonio is great for Metro DC'ers with families who want an affordable house and desire good schools. This is an awesome combination that not every community can offer.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:23 AM

20 posts, read 46,852 times
Austindoxie,

In terms of cost of living most things are cheaper here, especially houses. For example the mortgage on our three bedroom single family house in San Antonio is almost the same as the rent on my wife's old one bedroom apartment in DC. On the other hand, you may have to take a pay cut or not get a raise if you relocate here because salaries are much lower.

As for travel, it depends where you live and where you are driving to. San Antonio is very spread out, and with no real public transportation you'll be driving a lot. On the other hand, it is far less gridlocked than DC. People complain about a few bad spots on this board, but they are nothing compared to the traffic jams on 66 or the beltway in DC. You may have to drive a long distance depending on where you live, but for the most part traffic is always moving so it doesn't feel as bad. I live about 15 miles from my work and it usually takes about 30 minutes for me to get home at the height of rush hour. Much less at any other time.

We moved here because the cost of living is much lower and we don't have to put in as many hours at work to afford the lifestyle we want. It's a good place to raise a family (good schools, lots of family activities), but I would say not as exciting a place to be if you are single and like living in an urban environment like you would find in places like Dupont Circle, Cleveland Park or U Street.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:51 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,890,285 times
Great post just some personal thoughts
Weight is an issue but we are becomming very weight and health conscious. The gyms are expensive but they are there!
We are becomming more bike friendly
Many companies are starting weight programs and assisting employees with losing weight.

Texas A&M San Antonio area is experiencing gentrification
DVLPR listed some beautiful areas

For the most part, imho - SA has friendly residents

My drive to work is a whopping 3 minutes!

This is a great community - some people think we are a tad slow, ride horses, and speak only Espanol - that is not the case at all. However, Spanish is a plus and being Mexican American I am sorry I never learned it.

If you are thinking of moving to SA, I say load up the car and the kids and head on over. You will be glad you did!

* I thought SA used to have a welcome wagon. Do we or did we - does anyone know?

Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,013,282 times
I think the welcome wagon went away when the no vacancy sign went up.....j/k

Old 11-25-2009, 01:37 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,441,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Great post just some personal thoughts
Weight is an issue but we are becomming very weight and health conscious. The gyms are expensive but they are there!
We are becomming more bike friendly
Many companies are starting weight programs and assisting employees with losing weight.

Texas A&M San Antonio area is experiencing gentrification
DVLPR listed some beautiful areas

For the most part, imho - SA has friendly residents

My drive to work is a whopping 3 minutes!

This is a great community - some people think we are a tad slow, ride horses, and speak only Espanol - that is not the case at all. However, Spanish is a plus and being Mexican American I am sorry I never learned it.

If you are thinking of moving to SA, I say load up the car and the kids and head on over. You will be glad you did!

* I thought SA used to have a welcome wagon. Do we or did we - does anyone know?
Your wish on less expensive gyms have arrived. Search for Planet Fitness thread on the info. on membership rates; truly affordable!
Yes, some employers are doing some incentives to keep employees in shape or thinking about fitness. My work had free membership to Spectrum but had to drop it because of the economy. Now if you want to keep it, you can for a lower rate than its regular rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio