Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 02:28 PM

5 posts, read 19,682 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may relocate to San Antonio from New Hampshire. We are looking to spend around 250k and 275k (based on the high property taxes that I found).

1. What is the difference between the far north neighborhoods and the north west suburbs?
2. Why are some homes in the far north in the North East ISD and some in the Comal ISD?
3. What is the difference between the North East ISD school district and the Comal ISD district?
4. Am I looking in the correct areas? We will have three children and need a 4 bedroom home. I need the best schools in the area and want a family friendly neighborhood where we can meet people. We are in our mid/late 30s.
5. My husband would be working just north of the airport. What is the commute?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Try this thread to get you started: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html it should help a lot.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:05 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colverm View Post
My husband and I may relocate to San Antonio from New Hampshire. We are looking to spend around 250k and 275k (based on the high property taxes that I found).

1. What is the difference between the far north neighborhoods and the north west suburbs?
2. Why are some homes in the far north in the North East ISD and some in the Comal ISD?
3. What is the difference between the North East ISD school district and the Comal ISD district?
4. Am I looking in the correct areas? We will have three children and need a 4 bedroom home. I need the best schools in the area and want a family friendly neighborhood where we can meet people. We are in our mid/late 30s.

Thanks!!!
Good luck with the move. Try the relocation sticky that was posted. Most people ask the same questions and require the best schools etc. No one ever asks for high crime area or bad schools.

Do you speak Spanish?

Old 01-26-2010, 03:56 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
Do you speak Spanish?

Getting a little tiring

Old 01-26-2010, 04:06 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Please ignore firstclassflyer and his "Spanish" question. It's not necessary at all to know Spanish and Firstclass always asks that when someone starts a thread about moving here. He always asks it as if to imply to the thread maker that speaking Spanish is a must but when responded by the thread maker he simply says "it's good to know other languages." Almost all the regular posters here are ever so tired and annoyed with the "Spanish" question. Honestly we won't have to put up with it for much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colverm View Post

Thanks!!!

As for your questions:

1) The difference is probably the years they were built. Far North side homes are much newer than NW side homes.

2) Just the boundaries we have here. However, nothing in the Comal ISD would be considered "Far North side."

3) Different schools. Both are quality districts.

4) Yes you are.

5) Depending on where you buy either very short or very long. Let's say you bought on the North Side (Deerfield, Indwood, etc) you'd have 10 minute and under commute. If you bought on the Far North side (Stone Oak, Cibolo Canyon, etc) you're looking at a 10-20 minute commute depneing on your route and time of commute. If you buy further North then the commute time will go up. If you buy on the NW side, that's going to be a 15-25 minute commute.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:07 PM

156 posts, read 304,175 times
Not sure if you are still planning to move but.... You might consider Hollywood Park. It is an older neighborhood in an excellent school district-- ( Hidden Forest Elementary Bradley Middle Churchhill High). Hollywood Park is super family friendly with plenty of opportunities to meet people. The HOA hosts several events throughout the year. There is an annual event specifically to welcome newcomers to the neighborhood, Christmas events w/ opportunities to meet Santa (I hear he will even come to your house if you arrange it ahead of time), 4th of July parade/picnic, fabulous Halloween carnival, annual fun run/walk, etc. The HOA fee is paid yearly and ridiculously cheap--much less than most new subdivisions charge per MONTH. The fee for a family membership to the pool is only $100 and there is a great swim team for the kids.

The other big perk of living in "the Park" is large lots and mature trees.

Prices here range from less than $200K to over $700K. Price depends on size, of course, and how much updating a home has.

My husband used to work on Isom Road (near airport). I think it was less than 7 miles--He could come home for lunch. It was nice. Sadly, he has changed jobs, and we will have to move soon. We have really enjoyed living here and will have wonderful memories to take with us. Good luck to you!

Old 02-11-2010, 05:08 AM

6 posts, read 9,346 times
I found greatschools.org very helpful. I actually looked at the schools rated 9 or 10 and chose my housing based on those schools. It might be a little harder for you if you have several children at different schools but maybe you can choose a central location to all schools.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:58 AM

796 posts, read 1,842,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX HERE WE COME View Post
I found greatschools.org very helpful. I actually looked at the schools rated 9 or 10 and chose my housing based on those schools. It might be a little harder for you if you have several children at different schools but maybe you can choose a central location to all schools.
I've been doing a ton of research on greatschools as well...don't discount a school just because it isn't a 9 or 10...thre are several really good schools with a 7 or 8 as well...the numbers given to the schools on greatschools are related to state testing...and having been involved in the public school system forever (my youngest starts high school in the fall), I can tell you that there is much more to a school than test scores. I look for high parental involvement, security, teacher qualifications and overall student culture. I have found the parental reviews to be more helpful than the ratings...just some food for thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio