U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2009, 02:54 PM
 
796 posts, read 1,616,862 times
Reputation: 369

Advertisements

Hello!

There is a possibility that I may be placed in San Antonio (as a teacher) as part of a non-profit organization. We would be relocating from Miami, FL (good riddance!!) sometime in the early summer. I also have a 13 year old who will be entering HS in the fall and would love any/all info on good high schools in the area and also what the general vibe in San Antonio is (is it friendly, traffic, weather, housing prices [ballpark figures for 2 BR rentals]). I grew up in Miami and am ready to get out of here...

Thanks in advance for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2009, 03:22 PM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,693,582 times
Reputation: 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
Hello!

There is a possibility that I may be placed in San Antonio (as a teacher) as part of a non-profit organization. We would be relocating from Miami, FL (good riddance!!) sometime in the early summer. I also have a 13 year old who will be entering HS in the fall and would love any/all info on good high schools in the area and also what the general vibe in San Antonio is (is it friendly, traffic, weather, housing prices [ballpark figures for 2 BR rentals]). I grew up in Miami and am ready to get out of here...

Thanks in advance for the info!
Here you go...good luck. Si hablo Espanol?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 11-27-2009 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 04:18 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,111,521 times
Reputation: 4435
Contrary to the beliefs of a few, it is not required nor is it necessary that you speak Spanish to live here. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of jobs in this city don't require it. Sure, it can be useful; but when is knowing a second language ever not helpful?

I grew up in Jax, and still have family in Florida; but we love it here. Sure, there are a few downsides; but for the most part this is a great city full of friendly people and tons of things to see and do.

For the most part the better school districts are NISD and NEISD; and depending on where you plan to be working, there are numerous great places to live within both districts. It is hard to specifically say which area will suit you best, so search through this forum and you'll find loads of great information that will assist you in making those decisions.

Cheers! M2

p.s. I just saw where this was my 3,000th post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 04:33 PM
 
796 posts, read 1,616,862 times
Reputation: 369
Thanks for the info...Spanish is not an issue (I grew up in Miami...lol!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 04:37 PM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,693,582 times
Reputation: 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
Thanks for the info...Spanish is not an issue (I grew up in Miami...lol!)
Great...it'll only help, given we are majority Hispanic here in SA. Enjoy the relocation thread..plenty of good info in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 07:17 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,260 posts, read 4,941,064 times
Reputation: 1490
fcf, WHY do you insist that people need to speak Spanish to live here? You KNOW that isn't true! It isn't true AT ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 07:40 PM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,693,582 times
Reputation: 1541
...and just where did you see that I've insisted on folks speaking Spanish? Hmm...thought so. Don't assume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 07:47 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,260 posts, read 4,941,064 times
Reputation: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
...and just where did you see that I've insisted on folks speaking Spanish? Hmm...thought so. Don't assume.
I'm not assuming anything. YOU are the one who posts, in Spanish, "Do you speak Spanish" on every.single.one of these "I'm moving" threads.

You know as well as everyone else that speaking Spanish isn't necessary to live in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 07:51 PM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,693,582 times
Reputation: 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I'm not assuming anything. YOU are the one who posts, in Spanish, "Do you speak Spanish" on every.single.one of these "I'm moving" threads.

You know as well as everyone else that speaking Spanish isn't necessary to live in San Antonio.
...and no one has said that it is. It's a simple question...don't read any more into it, than is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 08:20 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,260 posts, read 4,941,064 times
Reputation: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
...and no one has said that it is. It's a simple question...don't read any more into it, than is there.
Ok. Whatever. Just keep putting that incorrect implication out there. Rest assured that I will disabuse posters of the notion you are putting in their heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top