U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 10,611 times

Advertisements

Thank you guys for your help, I have already applied to Texas A&M San Antonio and I have been accepted to their MBA Program with all my UIW classes transferable but I think that I would stay at UIW, I like the staff and faculty their though it's a bit more expensive over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 11:33 AM

280 posts, read 650,843 times
Are the programs at A&M accredited yet? Some positions require degrees from accredited programs. As a supervisor who has done some hiring, I don't really care where a candidate has gone to school, just as long as he or she has the required degree. But I'm sure others weigh that in when hiring.

By the way, in terms of overall enrollment, University of the Incarnate Word is the fourth largest private university in Texas, behind Baylor, SMU and TCU.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:01 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,086,926 times
Yes it is my understanding that they are accredited; what I understood was they were not breaking away from Kingsville until they had the accredation in place.

Eleanor, if I may ask; how did you make your final decision? You stated that UIW as a bit more expensive, I thought it was a substantial difference. Am I wrong?

A&M San Antonio appears to be growing at a fast rate, they have students and employees from many other campuses. I am just curious as how you came to your decision as it may help others trying to decide.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 10,611 times
I haven't yet really made my final decision as to where I'm going to finish my MBA. I want to stay at UIW because I got a job there, friends, know the staff. The reason I was considering (still considering) moving to Texas A&M is that I have been here for only four months, so I'm not really familiar with the universities here. I don't know which ones are better than the others.

So, I posted this thread trying to get people who are familiar with the universities here to help me to figure out which one of these universities can provide me with better future job opportunities.

I have heard talking badly about UIW, saying that UIW is a private school that people barely know and that is only seeking to take money out of your pocket. that was the reason I'm considering transferring to Texas A&M

Money is no matter because I got a part time job at UIW that I can use to pay the difference

Old 11-29-2009, 02:43 PM

3,056 posts, read 3,982,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor1967 View Post

I have heard talking badly about UIW, saying that UIW is a private school that people barely know and that is only seeking to take money out of your pocket. that was the reason I'm considering transferring to Texas A&M
People are going to say that about all private schools. It's really a private vs. public mentality. Good for you, if you're able to afford to go to a great private business school! I have a lot of close friends that graduated from Texas State and UTHSC and they all make fun of me for going to a private school, kind of "oh geez..there's the girl that went to the private school." They're all kidding, of course, but just to illustrate my point.

If money isn't the issue and one of your main concerns is that people are concerned about the fact that it is a private school is 'taking your money' when in all reality you're paying for the experience of a smaller school with great business relations, etc., I think those concerns are very minor and that you should stay at UIW. Of course, all my opinion.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:32 PM

62 posts, read 86,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor1967 View Post

The reason I'm saying this is because I have a couple of friends who told me that Texas A&M is a better school than UIW because everybody knows it, and you will have better career prospects and job opportunities if you want to stay in the US
I am afraid your friends are wrong.

An MBA from Texas A&M College Station would indeed carry a bit more prestige within some circles in Texas than one from UIW. An MBA from Texas A&M San Antonio would have the rough career utility of an MBA from the University of Phoenix. I would advise against switching to an inferior program based on the reputation of the distant mother-school - unless the program is considerably better for your personal life and finances.

I guess the most relevant question is what do you want to do with your MBA? Is there a career you are returning to? Are you dead-set on starting a new career? Are you simply looking for the degree to increase your pay at a government job or a more generalist trade?

There are two "tiers" of value from having an MBA. On one front, simply having "MBA" after your name makes you a superior candidate for most entry-level jobs offered to typical college graduates - it helps your overall employment prospects. In this case, where you went to school is not terribly important. On the other front, students in MBA programs avidly use the internship and career placement services of their schools to get hired by established employers (public, private or governmental). From this perspective, the school's name is very important, as generations of MBA graduates from a given school will have established a reputation and relationships with employers in certain fields.

UIW is a better name than TAMU San Antonio, but the "pull" of the UIW name is limited to South Texas. A tremendous part of the value of your MBA will be the "network" associated with it, and so far as I can tell, the UIW network is a good one in San Antonio. TAMU San Antonio's chain of MBA graduates probably can be counted on two hands.

Stay at UIW.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:41 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,112,489 times
RonLumbergh:
I don't think A&M San Antonio can be compared to University of Phoenix. Most employers I talked to when I graduated from A&M SA in 2005 were impressed with my trailblazing ways, so to speak, that I was able to be part of something new in the community. Some didn't even care that it was A&M San Antonio, just that was in a A&M school. I dunno but I liked being able to be part of something up and coming but I'm not concerned with names since business majors are sought after in non profits. Of course my mileage varies because it's a bachelor's degree; I just don't think it should be clumped together with Univ. of Phoenix.
I do agree with you on the two tiers.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 PM

Skeet,

I was not trying to throw rocks at TAMU-SA - and congrats on being one of the first undergraduates from the institution! The thought of a for-profit degree-manufacturing company masquerading as a "university" makes me cringe a bit, but I digress.

I think the TAMU-SA MBA program will need a few years before it gets a bit more "creedence", and I certainly would not transfer from UIW simply because the phrase "A&M" pops up - that would be a transfer for the wrong reasons. If the OP was truly impressed by the faculty, facilities, student services and experience of TAMU-SA, then it would be for the right reasons. Either way, transferring MBA programs is somewhat odd, and should be avoided except in truly exceptional circumstances.

Just out of curiosity, I assume you transferred credits from another institution into TAMU-SA? How was the experience?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:38 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,086,926 times
I was taken aback by the University of Phoenix comment too, please the two are no where near each other. I did a transfer to A&M University San Antonio and I had no problem whatsoever! Ron, what exactly do you want to know when you inquire about the experience?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I was taken aback by the University of Phoenix comment too, please the two are no where near each other. I did a transfer to A&M University San Antonio and I had no problem whatsoever! Ron, what exactly do you want to know when you inquire about the experience?
I'm just a curious citizen who wants to know more about how TAMU-SA is servicing our city's substantial educational needs (I'm an old MBA from a far off land, so no enrollment for me).

Did you transfer from a community college, a 4-year institution, or a combination of both? Where you pleased by the faculty at TAMU-SA? Did you find the facilities to be an obstacle to learning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio