Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:38 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,889,263 times

Advertisements

OK, for all of you claiming things are still bad in San Antonio; where are your supporting facts? Do you have the numbers that show the percentage of unemployment in this city has risen? That more jobs in the city have been lost than gained? I keep hearing individual cases of people having lost their jobs, or that they are in financial strife; but I don't see the evidence to back it up that this is a wide-spread problem!

The last job I lost was during an economic boom, and I have had steady and consistent employment during this alleged depression; but neither always represents the overall situation.

Let's start backing up claims with fact, and not opinion. And if that doesn't convince everyone than that's OK by me; but I seek the truth of the economy in San Antonio and according to the Forbes study it is a lot better than some believe. Until someone can provide evidence to the contrary (and factual, statistical evidence; not individual cases), no one is going to be convinced otherwise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 06:55 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,882,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
OK, for all of you claiming things are still bad in San Antonio; where are your supporting facts? Do you have the numbers that show the percentage of unemployment in this city has risen? That more jobs in the city have been lost than gained? I keep hearing individual cases of people having lost their jobs, or that they are in financial strife; but I don't see the evidence to back it up that this is a wide-spread problem!

The last job I lost was during an economic boom, and I have had steady and consistent employment during this alleged depression; but neither always represents the overall situation.

Let's start backing up claims with fact, and not opinion. And if that doesn't convince everyone than that's OK by me; but I seek the truth of the economy in San Antonio and according to the Forbes study it is a lot better than some believe. Until someone can provide evidence to the contrary (and factual, statistical evidence; not individual cases), no one is going to be convinced otherwise...
Moderator cut: off-topic/personal Now you are demanding facts and figures? I gave you my facts and figures....you are not happy with them because somehow to you the city is disparaged.

Last edited by Bo; 11-30-2009 at 09:53 PM..

Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,889,263 times
C'mon Sapphire, stating you know a couple of people who lost their jobs is in no way indicative of the economic situation of this city! I am simply asking you to back up your claims with some facts, not just a couple of personal examples; but if that is the best you can do, then I guess my point is made...

Old 11-30-2009, 07:17 PM

62 posts, read 142,997 times
Quote:
According to the government's own Bureau of Labor Statistics......

Area: San Antonio, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
Area Type: Metropolitan areas
State/Region/Division: Texas
Measure: unemployment rate

http://data.bls.gov/PDQ/graphics/LAUMT48417003_112731_1259629033312.gif (broken link)

That seems to indicate rather conclusively that unemployment in San Antonio is rising, regardless of what junk Forbes might print to sell magazines at airport. SA's 7.1% is the highest rate since the early 80s and a nearly 30% rise since April. I'm sure if we dug deeper, we would find similarly sobering stats about people who have given up looking for work, underemployment, transient government employment, and bogus stimulus jobs that will soon expire.

Sure, it is a nice time to be a government employee or contractor while the US racks up a TRILLION dollar annual deficit, but things are indeed bad out there. San Antonio might have a better economy than Detroit or Buffalo, but the fact remains that unemployment has DOUBLED in an 18 month period and shows no signs of falling. While we might be winning the contest of comparative misery, the economy remains quite bad locally, and you will hear more of it.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:18 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,520,669 times
I think the point sapphire is trying to make is that for SOME people it is bad.....she obviously knows some people who have had their jobs impacted in some form due to the economy. For those people, Forbes can say whatever it pleases, it doesn't improve their situation. I can tell you my hubby who is in retail has seen a decrease in store profits and therefore store bonuses the last two quarters due to the economy. Has that impacted my bottom line. Heck yeah it has. I'm sure many "retailers" have seen this as the norm. For their families as well in San Antonio this is a big deal - regardless of what Forbes says. For those families the facts are in their checking account. NEISD is about to let alot of teaching positions go very shortly too.

Sapphire, hope I didn't step on your toes.....

Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,768,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLumbergh View Post
According to the government's own Bureau of Labor Statistics......

Area: San Antonio, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area
Area Type: Metropolitan areas
State/Region/Division: Texas
Measure: unemployment rate

That seems to indicate rather conclusively that unemployment in San Antonio is rising, regardless of what junk Forbes might print to sell magazines at airport. SA's 7.1% is the highest rate since the early 80s and a nearly 30% rise since April. I'm sure if we dug deeper, we would find similarly sobering stats about people who have given up looking for work, underemployment, transient government employment, and bogus stimulus jobs that will soon expire.

Sure, it is a nice time to be a government employee or contractor while the US racks up a TRILLION dollar annual deficit, but things are indeed bad out there. San Antonio might have a better economy than Detroit or Buffalo, but the fact remains that unemployment has DOUBLED in an 18 month period and shows no signs of falling. While we might be winning the contest of comparative misery, the economy remains quite bad locally, and you will hear more of it.
Now compare the same statistics for every other big city in the nation and you'll understand what picture the Forbes magazine is trying to paint.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:46 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,882,947 times
Quote:
C'mon Sapphire, stating you know a couple of people who lost their jobs is in no way indicative of the economic situation of this city! I am simply asking you to back up your claims with some facts, not just a couple of personal examples; but if that is the best you can do, then I guess my point is made...
Your point is made. You ASKED in POST #1 if anyone wanted to talk about the bad economy here. Yes, yes I do. You started with an adversarial taunting type of post and now you're pissed because it's getting argumentative. OK, got it. You can not stand if anyone says anything negative about SA....or what you perceive as negative.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:46 PM

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

this gives a run down of unemployment rates thru various cities. We moved from Atlanta where it has been hit pretty hard (we had 11 forclosures in one year in our subdivision alone to give ya a general idea)...they are a little over 10 percent whereas San Antonio is at almost 8. Not a huge difference to me in those facts.....

Old 11-30-2009, 07:51 PM

448 posts, read 915,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

this gives a run down of unemployment rates thru various cities. We moved from Atlanta where it has been hit pretty hard (we had 11 forclosures in one year in our subdivision alone to give ya a general idea)...they are a little over 10 percent whereas San Antonio is at almost 8. Not a huge difference to me in those facts.....
Umm okay...according to the link you posted, San Antonio is at 7.1%. In order for SA to be at 8%. The city would have to loose thousands of jobs and not gain within the same timeframe. So to say, SA is at 8% is a misleading.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 PM

I was just going to repost I meant at 7 percent....sorry..I caught that you just beat me to it.

Still while it's not the worst, it's not the best and not far from what people perceive to be hard hit cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio