U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:11 AM

932 posts, read 1,747,931 times

Advertisements

I'll forgive you if you promise to carefully consider why it is you would feel uncomfortable if you walked into an establishment and 50% or more of the people there appeared to be hispanic (or black, or asian, or anything you aren't).

Is it really a fact about who they are on the inside that makes you uncomfortable to be around them, or is it because you assume based on the shade of their skin (or the language they're speaking, or any other superficial quality) that they dislike you based on the shade of your skin (or any superficial quality).

Right now, based on what you've written in this thread and the Houston thread, I'm convinced it's the latter and I desperately want you to realize, both for your good and the good of others, that hispanics do not inherently dislike white people and that to assume that they do based solely on the fact that they are hispanic is racist. Similarly, if anyone would dislike you (or anyone) based solely on the shade of your skin, they are also acting out racism.

Please give it some thought.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:41 AM

3,338 posts, read 9,826,882 times
Also, to be clear, hispanic is not considered a race any longer. It is considered an ethnicity. On most forms now, when they ask your race, they expect hispanics to put "white."

Old 12-05-2009, 09:50 AM

932 posts, read 1,747,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Also, to be clear, hispanic is not considered a race any longer. It is considered an ethnicity. On most forms now, when they ask your race, they expect hispanics to put "white."
This is technically true, but culturally it is not. Technically hispanics and non-hispanic whites are all of the caucasoid race, but practically in real life a differentiation is made: If someone lumped hispanics together and ascribed some quality to them or treated them differently based on that 99% of people would call that racist, not "ethnicist".

Last edited by Backliteyes; 12-05-2009 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: stray word

Old 12-05-2009, 06:13 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,621,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmela432 View Post
So I was thinking about moving to San Antonio. Im white, and not racist, but how comfortable would I be in San Antonio? Are people nice there?
The best thing you can do is be straight forward in a polite way.

If I was you, I would have said something like:
"I've never lived in a place where (fill in the group) people are a minority and I'd like to know what it is like to live in San Antonio being a (fill in the group) person"

BTW, anytime somebody say: "I'm not ______, but ..."
Usually, they are what they say that they are not.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:15 AM

52 posts, read 116,180 times
Dopo,
I must admit, the way you put it does have a nice touch,lol.....I guess Im not good with typing my thoughts. I do disagree with the thought that anybody saying whatever makes them whatever they said. I can assure you in my case, its not the case. Im def. not a racist. How you put the question is exactly what I was feeling though..But, from my rude way it seems like you still knew what I meant. So, I guess I should be not so blah about it

Old 12-07-2009, 02:28 AM

52 posts, read 116,180 times
Backliteyes,

I guess I just didnt type out my thoughts the correct way. I wouldnt necessarily feel uncomfortable if I walked into a room with everyone of opposite race. I would feel uncomfortable if I got starred at, or talked about, I wouldnt feel uncomfortable if people went about there business. Just the other day at work my friend, who is black said to me she is moving back to New Jersey because she felt, and yes she used the 'U' bomb, uncomfortable. She was the only black cick that worked in our hospital. She did get stares and she just didnt feel at home.. And its sad that people made her feel that way, and I was just simply wondering if thats how it went down in San Antonio. Ya know?

Also, When I asked if I would feel uncomfortable, I didnt mean that as will people be mean to me, it was meant more like would people make it knwn I was white...point and stare or somethin.
Another one of my friends, whos white just got back from Alabama somewhere and she said she knew she ws the mo=inority there, but people really made her feel she was too.
I dont know, maybe I asked my question wrong but people knew what I meant and I think some people jumped to odd conclusions. I mean, my best friend is middle eastern, my niece is black, and my dad is Hispanic.
Anywas, sorry to all if I upset you.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 AM

People are pretty sensitive about this type of questions
but the reality is that most people feel comfortable being around certain groups of people and uncomfortable around some other group of people.
That's called "stereotyping" and all of us do it (some more than others)

People feel uncomfortable being in a place with lots of people that have a negative stereotype: blacks, rednecks, muslims, etc.
I've learn that it's just like swimming in a lake that scares you,
put your fears aside, jump in and after a while you'll see that it was all in your mind. (and people will start saying that you are crazy for being there)

Old 12-07-2009, 03:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

People feel uncomfortable being in a place with lots of people that have a negative stereotype: blacks, rednecks, muslims, etc.
This sentence makes no sense. The more this topic is discussed, the more it is going downhill!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM

98 posts, read 101,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
This sentence makes no sense. The more this topic is discussed, the more it is going downhill!
...at top speed!

Old 12-07-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Maybe you'll understand it this way:

"Uhh crap, those ........ are coming this way, don't look at them,
uhhh man, I'm glad they didn't do anything to us"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio