Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 AM

52 posts, read 132,295 times

Advertisements

So I was thinking about moving to San Antonio. Im white, and not racist, but how comfortable would I be in San Antonio? Are people nice there?

Old 11-30-2009, 06:44 AM

173 posts, read 598,142 times
What kind of question is that?

If you have to quantify your question with the claim that you arent a racist and are white, then I would respectfully suggest that no, you will not be happy here.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:50 AM

437 posts, read 903,027 times
I'm from Belgium originally and have been in San Antonio for 20 years; I wouldn't dream of leaving! People are very nice and the city is beautiful. I don't know what your background is, but give it a try. You can always leave if you're not happy here.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:08 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
You will love SA! Of course there are a few that might make you want to roll your eyes and think "what"! However all in all we are a great place, friendly, caring, and lovely people! No matter your color (ethnicity/race) I say come on over - you will be glad you did!

Welcome!

Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
I'm thinking if you have to ask yourself if you would be comfortable there's a good chance you won't be. I would come for a long visit before taking such a big step.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
I do not understand the answers to this question, why would this be any different for someone here asking a friend in the NE area? Say I want to move to Schenectady County as a Hispanic, I ask my friend "how comfortable will I be" question sounds valid to me. Not that I am fearful, just curious.

I believe this question to be valid and the person is concerned, why not just answer the question? I believe the advice of come for a long visit is a great one but to ask what kind of question is that? Honestly it is a very valid question.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:14 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
I think the "I'm white, not a racist" comment sets people on edge. If you have to clarify that you are most definitely NOT one, chances are you've either been perceived as being one and are defensive, or you actually ARE one but are smart enough to know that people don't like racists. So, while the question may be a valid one, it's what was said along with the question. But, lots of us word things poorly on here and get jumped on.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:17 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I think the "I'm white, not a racist" comment sets people on edge. If you have to clarify that you are most definitely NOT one, chances are you've either been perceived as being one and are defensive, or you actually ARE one but are smart enough to know that people don't like racists. So, while the question may be a valid one, it's what was said along with the question. But, lots of us word things poorly on here and get jumped on.
I tried to rep you but I can't. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2009, 08:59 AM

173 posts, read 598,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I do not understand the answers to this question, why would this be any different for someone here asking a friend in the NE area? Say I want to move to Schenectady County as a Hispanic, I ask my friend "how comfortable will I be" question sounds valid to me. Not that I am fearful, just curious.

I believe this question to be valid and the person is concerned, why not just answer the question? I believe the advice of come for a long visit is a great one but to ask what kind of question is that? Honestly it is a very valid question.
Since you brought it up and its directed at me, Ill be happy to answer. When you preface ANY statement with "I'm white and not racist..." you are obviously looking for someplace to be, probably with as few minorities as possible. There's no other reason for making the statement. Now, given the rich cultural diversity that San Antonio has, I respectfully advised the OP that they probably wouldn't be happy here. Im not calling the person a racist or anything else, just stating what I feel is the obvious. I stand by that.

Your example question of "how comfortable will I be" is just a nice way of saying, how does Schenectady County feel about Hispanics? There is no real way to answer the question as everyones interpretation of what the OP was looking for is going to vary greatly. The best advice Ive seen in this thread is the one saying come for a long visit and see what you think yourself.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:13 AM

107 posts, read 277,670 times
this is a dangerous line to balance on here. to me (and i stress this is opinion not a statement of op intent) the question has the same ring as asking "hey im no thief but what side of town doesnt lock their doors?"

now thats a simplistic view of it but it gets to the point. an extended visit is the best solution but the op would have to try many parts of town and could get discouraged quickly if the first few arent "comfortable" enough.

carmela432: for the posters here to best help, we would need to know what constitutes "comfortable" to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio