Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:00 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,803,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's something I don't understand,
as expensive as it was, being in a very touristy city, in a great location.

I don't understand why they would barely make money.
With what I spent for my wife and I just for tickets, I could have bought season tickets in Six Flags and had money to spare.

Think of it sorta like going to the movies.

What you pay to get into the film almost goes in-whole to the studios. The rising price of movie tickets isn't a choice someone like John Santikos wants to make... He's forced. Where they make mad money (hopefully) is on concessions. All of the 'overpriced' popcorn and soda is that way for good reason, as it keeps open the doors of these behemoth multiplexes.

With touring shows like LK, most of what is being charged for ticket price is going back to Arts Management Inc (who is responsible for bringing shows to SA), who usually either ends up fronting the money for a show or at least issuing a guarantee on a per-show basis. Where Disney can really make their money is on concession: CDs, tshirts, programs, souvenirs, etc. Where The Majestic makes coin is from Ticketmaster's various added facility fees, the bar, private donors and whatever back-end deal they make with each individual show.

It's a tough cookie for them. It's also a major reason why we keep seeing the same damned shows season after season here in San Antonio: They feel that if it ain't broke, they won't bother fixing it. Added, only two major Broadway series subscription markets in all of the United States haven't shown any loss... One of which is San Antonio.

All very interesting.

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 04:11 AM

37 posts, read 162,522 times
I absolutely loved it, we had front row seats and the play was amazing!!! The characters were great and I felt like a kid again, I had never been to the majestic theatre it was my first time and I was very very impressed. It was packed and of course parking was hard but I really did enjoy myself, the play was awesome!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio