U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:36 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,413,241 times

Advertisements

Is it me or does it seem like a few SAPD officers are becoming more and more hostile?

I have had two separate incidents with SAPD officers becoming irate because I did not hear them right away. I am deaf and I don't usually get explain this until after they finish screaming at me because I did not hear them the first time around.

I have no criminal record, never been in jail and always respect police officers. It is a little discouraging when I get screamed at because I didn't hear his instructions or whistle while directing traffic and or while I am pulled over for a traffic offense.

In one of the incidents, the officer apologized as he saw my hearing aid.

Having lived in other cities, San Antonio is the only city where I experience issues of this nature.

Can someone help me understand why some of the officers are so quick to be hostile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 02:09 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,310,429 times
Probably because they're constantly dealing with the dregs of society. While your situation is different, I'd imagine that they get a lot of folks pretending they didn't hear them the first time, so it's probably natural to come in with their guard up.

It shouldn't happen, but cops are usually never called in for good times. They usually see people at their worst, and are constantly berated. I'd be in a bad mood too.

I don't think this is a SA thing. I just think you had bad luck twice here, and not elsewhere.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:02 PM

173 posts, read 539,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Is it me or does it seem like a few SAPD officers are becoming more and more hostile?

I have had two separate incidents with SAPD officers becoming irate because I did not hear them right away. I am deaf and I don't usually get explain this until after they finish screaming at me because I did not hear them the first time around.

I have no criminal record, never been in jail and always respect police officers. It is a little discouraging when I get screamed at because I didn't hear his instructions or whistle while directing traffic and or while I am pulled over for a traffic offense.

In one of the incidents, the officer apologized as he saw my hearing aid.

Having lived in other cities, San Antonio is the only city where I experience issues of this nature.

Can someone help me understand why some of the officers are so quick to be hostile?
Well, there are a lot of idiots here and when you are directing traffic or whatever and have to scream at people to pay attention, put down the cell phone, stop updating their Facebook page while driving etc. and use their head, it gets a little frustrating. Its like the last thing a lot of people do behind the wheel is pay attention and follow directions.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:16 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,451,882 times
I dunno if its a possibility or even if something like this is available but there should be a Rear View Mirror Tag for folks with Auditory Disabilities. It could help police and other drivers not get so aggravated if they were not heard the first time. I'm a dreamer!

Texas Nick: I also have a deaf friend and it's amazing how we take our hearing for granted sometimes once we are in their company and things get misunderstood because of hearing.

Last edited by skeet09; 12-02-2009 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 03:30 PM

5,633 posts, read 13,949,548 times
I have hearing loss and nearly had guns drawn on me at a Border Patrol checkpoint for failing to stop at the marked line. That was an incident I'll never forget. However, thinking back, if I were the officer that day, I would have done the same. Unfortunately, this is an embarrassing byproduct of a hearing disability for most people.

Don't take it personal, Matt. At least the officer apologized to you. Having had a deaf friend, I would do anything in the world to stick up for you if the guy didn't apologize.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,144,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
MattTX, if you live in the city, you should tell your story and ask this same question of your city council rep. It's likely you will get an apology from the police chief if you go through your council rep's office and present everything the way that you did here.

If you don't live in the city, contact the mayor's office the same way.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:21 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,172,201 times
I just got a ticket on the way to work the other morning. The officer yelled and said "When you went around the other driver and accelerated you were going too fast, and that's an angry action!"

I told him that I wasn't angry and that I drive to work like that every day. I'm the Hill Country Hot Rod Man. I wasn't speeding, but when I need to be somewhere I don't tool around. I don't drive crazy, break laws or anything. But he got mad because I had to accelerate to go around a slow poke (ie. 85% of drivers in these parts). No radar, no reason to pull me over except that I drive a muscle car and he's bummed because he got stuck with traffic detail (which has to be awful).

Oh well. But I agree, most of them shouldn't even holster a loaded weapon, IMO.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,413,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
MattTX, if you live in the city, you should tell your story and ask this same question of your city council rep. It's likely you will get an apology from the police chief if you go through your council rep's office and present everything the way that you did here.

If you don't live in the city, contact the mayor's office the same way.
Contacting the city mayor or council rep is good advice, but I want to pick and choose my battles carefully.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that I was wondering how to react in such situations in order to avoid more anger or misunderstanding.

It is like TexasNick said earlier, he almost had guns drawn on him. That is certainly something I do not want to experience at all myself.

This thread is in no way meant to bash SAPD officers. I do apologize if it comes across that way.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,008,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I just got a ticket on the way to work the other morning. The officer yelled and said "When you went around the other driver and accelerated you were going too fast, and that's an angry action!"

I told him that I wasn't angry and that I drive to work like that every day. I'm the Hill Country Hot Rod Man. I wasn't speeding, but when I need to be somewhere I don't tool around. I don't drive crazy, break laws or anything. But he got mad because I had to accelerate to go around a slow poke (ie. 85% of drivers in these parts). No radar, no reason to pull me over except that I drive a muscle car and he's bummed because he got stuck with traffic detail (which has to be awful).

Oh well. But I agree, most of them shouldn't even holster a loaded weapon, IMO.
the officer is right here, thats a sign of aggressive driving. But what surprised me is that he actually pulled you over for that.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:45 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,717,357 times
Matt.....actually there was about a 30 page thread that did just that! Bash the SAPD and BC sherrifs dept and all of the SA area law enforcement. Possibly word got out and SA's finest is feeling a little bit unappreciated. Not that a few bad apples don't deserve it....but it was over the top in my opinion. Especially when some that were quite vocal in that thread were also very vocal about all the really horrible, stupid, idiotic, etc bad drivers in SA. It's apparently a vicious circle. Bad drivers make mad LE. Mad LE make bad drivers madder. Bad mad drivers make mad LE crazy and they can't win for doing their jobs. I'm actually tired of all the complaining. But that's just me. Not that you were doing that....as Kev said...you probably had two bad experiences. I'm also hearing impaired and I've never been pulled over for it. I dunno.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio