Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:55 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,449 times

Advertisements

They could have left the Voelcker name on the park and named something inside the park after Hardberger. They could have dedicated a plaque to him and stated his efforts, added a statue or something artistic. I don't know if the park has any facilities, but they could have named one of those after him, too. I'm thankful for what he did so we didn't end up with more developments, but I agree with most of the other posters, they should have kept the family name in the park. Even Voelcker/Hardberger Park would have been okay (LOL - people would still call it just Voelcker Park.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 11:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCovertCarry View Post
Sad. So, everyone that has something named for them needs to have done something deserving of it? You may not find any value in recognizing local pioneer families (others come to mind such as the Maverick family) in history, but I dont believe a currently named park/planned development should be renamed in honor of anyone for the reasons we have so far. Why not rename the plaza after Hardberger? Or some other new development that doesnt already have a name? This just smacks of politics..see Nelson Wolff for more information.
I have to agree about the naming thing. The Voelker family has been part of SA for a long time. Sort of like the "Roger's" family (aka Roger's Ranch) and the Walker family (aka Walker Ranch)....etc etc The park had a name that told a story if people cared about the history of the area.

I'm really glad Phil Hardberger did what he did to stop development of that land....but he was doing his job, right? We have layers of new history getting piled on top of old history because someone is dead and gone and who cares? Honestly....I care. I spend a lot of time peeling back the layers of that history so we don't forget. It's really fascinating. I supposed it gives me something else to do.....lol!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
I leave nearby and very excitied, just hate the new name.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I leave nearby and very excitied, just hate the new name.
90% of the people I know were mispronouncing Voelcker, (it's VEL-ker, not VOLE-ker) so I'm OK with a name that's easier to pronounce. Plus the new name puts a beloved former mayor with many wealthy friends out in front of the fundraising effort. This park will need outside funding and more named items within it to pay for everything that's in the architects' plans.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:26 PM

134 posts, read 384,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
90% of the people I know were mispronouncing Voelcker, (it's VEL-ker, not VOLE-ker) so I'm OK with a name that's easier to pronounce. Plus the new name puts a beloved former mayor with many wealthy friends out in front of the fundraising effort. This park will need outside funding and more named items within it to pay for everything that's in the architects' plans.
I saw some atrocious spellings of Voelcker as well...That's a good point about the funding, I had never thought of that.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:45 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
The new park, which is being developed, will be renamed after former Mayor Hardberger.

Council honors Hardberger by renaming Voelcker Park (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Council_honors_Hardberger_by_renaming_Voelcker_Par k.html - broken link)

A road was changed in his honor near Haven for Hope.

I am against any parks, airports, freeways that are named after LIVING people, ex the George Bush Airport and Tollway, Reagan Airport in DC (named when Reagan was still alive). Lady Bird Johnson had the grace and dignity to decline the naming of Austin's Town Lake until she was 6 feet under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio