U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:45 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,295,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I forgot about that Lard tamales and Refried bean diet all those hollywood starlets used! Sorry, but Mexican Food though it has some (I never said "no") nutritional value, there are far superior foods out there. Although mexican seafood dishes are fine, as long as they aren't covered in sauces.

She's on the Mexican food hollywood diet!
Duuude seriously like you have never thrown down on a fat carne guisada taco with cheese? Dont lie......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,524,869 times
nope, now a nice lasagna...that's another story

Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 AM

3,542 posts, read 7,541,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li'l_Bit View Post
Seriously?! NO nutritional value whatsoever?! I guess people who grew up on the stuff didn't require vitamins and nutrients, which, according to you, cannot be found in Mexican food. So much for your generalizations.
There is some healthy Mexican food, particularly in the coastal areas, but there's a lot of it that is highly fattening. Try telling me that eating pan de dulce, tamales, excess corn and flour tortillas, beans, menudo, tacos (which when you buy them in Mexico are dripping with oil, papas asadas (grilled potatoes that contain mayo, butter, cheese, and different sauces), elote, mole, fresas con crema, etc. will cause a reduction of waist size. Heck, it was in Mexico that we got chocolate, cinnamon, and vanilla. That's no secret and the people of Mexico know it too. Mexico, like the US, also has an epidemic obesity problem. The point of her post was that cheaper foods are generally unhealthier and that is 100% true -- and you can find Mexican food relatively cheap in San Antonio. There's no need to get defensive.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,384,279 times
Not sure why WOAI would feature the story, as mentioned by a previous poster, the family is not asking for financial help. Regarding their possessions, or financial situation, I would not judge them, but only hope they know their priorities. I wish them the best in obtaining a heater soon.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 AM

3,542 posts, read 7,541,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat13 View Post
Not sure why WOAI would feature the story, as mentioned by a previous poster, the family is not asking for financial help. Regarding their possessions, or financial situation, I would not judge them, but only hope they know their priorities. I wish them the best in obtaining a heater soon.
I completely agree... from the story I don't know enough to judge these people and I'm not going to even try to bridge the gaps on what led them to their financial hardships. Interpolation can lead to as much error as extrapolation when you have a limited set of data to begin with anyway.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:57 AM

98 posts, read 102,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
There is some healthy Mexican food, particularly in the coastal areas, but there's a lot of it that is highly fattening. Try telling me that eating pan de dulce, tamales, excess corn and flour tortillas, beans, menudo, tacos (which when you buy them in Mexico are dripping with oil, papas asadas (grilled potatoes that contain mayo, butter, cheese, and different sauces), elote, mole, fresas con crema, etc. will cause a reduction of waist size. Heck, it was in Mexico that we got chocolate, cinnamon, and vanilla. That's no secret and the people of Mexico know it too. Mexico, like the US, also has an epidemic obesity problem. The point of her post was that cheaper foods are generally unhealthier and that is 100% true -- and you can find Mexican food relatively cheap in San Antonio. There's no need to get defensive.
Who's defensive? I was simply pointing out that Smuboy is generalizing, yet again! I'm the first to admit that Mexican food is fatty, that's why it's so delicious. However, Smuboy gives the impression that Mexican food is devoid of any nutritional value and simply full of empty calories and fat. Not entirely true, now is it?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 AM

98 posts, read 102,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I forgot about that Lard tamales and Refried bean diet all those hollywood starlets used! Sorry, but Mexican Food though it has some (I never said "no") nutritional value, there are far superior foods out there. Although mexican seafood dishes are fine, as long as they aren't covered in sauces.

She's on the Mexican food hollywood diet!
Hmmm...and what kind of diet are you on?! People in glass houses, Smuboy, people in glass houses.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:14 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,214,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I'm in Seattle half the time including right now so if it's not on KIRO, KOMO or in the Times it gets to me because someone linked it somewhere else.

With all the cash spent on other stuff it's hard to believe they couldn't get the heater working. People show their true priorities in what they spend their cash (or credit) on.
my point- is that the TV station ran the story...why,I can care less...nor do I care about her braceses, or her grandfather clock...

I said call woai if you got a problem with the story...tell them it sucked...

But lets be very clear, she didnt ask you for anything, Woai didnt ask you to contribute to a fuel fund...

This doesnt have anything to do with grandfather clocks or mexican food...its has every thing to do with some people having to feel superior...

Actually, I think this thread and most of the comments to date are as bad as that woai news story...both suck

Old 12-07-2009, 11:29 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,524,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li'l_Bit View Post
Who's defensive? I was simply pointing out that Smuboy is generalizing, yet again! I'm the first to admit that Mexican food is fatty, that's why it's so delicious. However, Smuboy gives the impression that Mexican food is devoid of any nutritional value and simply full of empty calories and fat. Not entirely true, now is it?
I gave a logical response as did anthony...Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 12-07-2009 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: The reason this was deleted was explained in my Direct Message to you.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:49 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,713,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
But lets be very clear, she didnt ask you for anything, Woai didnt ask you to contribute to a fuel fund...
The only reason I would call them is to tell them that I stopped watching WOAI news 1 month after moving to San Antonio because of things like that story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or