U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:57 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,728,511 times

Advertisements

The bad thing is that there's a lot of people that actually need help
I feel bad especially for single mothers with several kids.

I'd rather talk about the people that we should help, than the leaches that try to take advantage of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 12:06 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,910,113 times
Wow, lets see. The braces lead me to believe they are on government assistance, free dental care.
The clock, since they live with the whole family may have come from Mom or Dad, Grandmom. Who knows. I have some very nice things that I did not pay for but were handed down from grandparents and parents, no matter how poor I do not think I would get rid of them.
Now the TV, wow!!! That looks fairly new. I want one.

It stinks to be poor, worse yet would be to be poor and be shown on TV so that people can judge how you could avoid the situation.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,366,860 times
What a waste of time.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:22 PM

6,201 posts, read 8,676,430 times
Did y'all listen to how many people live in that house? It sounds like a lot. And who knows, maybe they bought that TV a long time ago (before everyone moved in... before things got rough) ... I feel for anyone who cannot afford a heater or even air conditioning .. no matter what kinds of material goods they have.

Goodness, I know that some people in your neighborhoods (nice new development neighborhoods) have probably lost their jobs but they have kids in braces, nice TVs, nice cars, etc. because their they had benefits and a great income. But now their unemployment is barely covering the utilities. And then the heater breaks and they cannot afford to fix it.... do you not feel bad for your neighbors because they have all those material goods? Just give everyone a break.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:12 PM

3,184 posts, read 7,445,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Local | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

I think they wouldn't have a problem with heat if they opted not to get braces as an adult
That girl looked like she was no older than 17....

Old 12-04-2009, 01:19 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,024,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Local | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

I think they wouldn't have a problem with heat if they opted not to get braces as an adult, a huge grandfather clock and big flat screen TV. But hey, what do I know...

You wasted our time on this post because you BASICALLY, don't think we should feel sorry for their situation because they don't exemplify a true trailer park stereotype of living with nothing of value and bad teeth?

Give me a break! I have a 50 inch high defintion tv that I bought last year when I had a NICE job and some other nice things I was able to afford BACK THEN.

NOW, I'm making minimum wage because of the lack of jobs and the economy.

More than anything...this news report was just WOAI trying to "showcase" another "poor me" story.

I do agree. This family could have easily bought a $20 Walmart heater or even an working heater from a Goodwill store.

But to criticize them for having a big screen TV and for her having braces is absolutely ridiculous.

In this economy, ALL types of families are in need. The working poor and middle class are struggling respectively with bills and making ends meet.

It's not just those without braces and big screen televisions that need help.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:24 PM

6,201 posts, read 8,676,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
That girl looked like she was no older than 17....
It is San Antonio....

Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
You wasted our time on this post because you BASICALLY, don't think we should feel sorry for their situation because they don't exemplify a true trailer park stereotype of living with nothing of value and bad teeth?

Give me a break! I have a 50 inch high defintion tv that I bought last year when I had a NICE job and some other nice things I was able to afford BACK THEN.

NOW, I'm making minimum wage because of the lack of jobs and the economy.

More than anything...this news report was just WOAI trying to "showcase" another "poor me" story.

I do agree. This family could have easily bought a $20 Walmart heater or even an working heater from a Goodwill store.

But to criticize them for having a big screen TV and for her having braces is absolutely ridiculous.

In this economy, ALL types of families are in need. The working poor and middle class are struggling respectively with bills and making ends meet.

It's not just those without braces and big screen televisions that need help.

^^ Some people through the grace of God have not experienced being down on their luck. Unfortunately we have been there and it is nothing I would wish on my worse enemy. I worry about space heaters but anything is better than nothing, I hope they have fire detectors.

Thank you for putting things into perspective.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:38 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,527,946 times
Why not sell the TV? If they are so desperate for money/ can't afford things why not go down to the local pawn shop? That's what they are there for. Pawn the TV or grandma's wedding ring then buy a heater. I know I'm going to get criticized, but I freaking hate poor people, there is no reason in this country why you can't go out and get a job, even one that pays minimum wage. The poor stay poor because of bad decisions they make, like buying a HDTV from best buy instead of working at best buy.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:42 PM

Do you listen to the news? There are no jobs out there, I think for one position there are 6 people applying. I have a job, I am well qualified, there are not jobs right now! Watch the news. I would not sell the few good things I have and a pawn shop only gives a very small portion in returns.

As far as hating poor people I am glad you are well to do, just remember we do not know what tomorrow will bring. Count your blessings today, they may be gone tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or