U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:07 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,129,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
She willingly admits that she bundles up all day and watches that TV(instead of finding a job)...poor or lazy or both?
If there's a disability, then it's poor because a disability check can only go so far, something that the news may leave out. If she's capable of working, then laziness is to account for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 03:07 PM

3,705 posts, read 5,026,158 times
Quote:
I freaking hate poor people, there is no reason in this country why you can't go out and get a job, even one that pays minimum wage. The poor stay poor because of bad decisions they make, like buying a HDTV from best buy instead of working at best buy.
You hate poor people?

My brother, I sincerely hope that you never find yourself on the street, trampled on by people who think the way you choose to. And please never think it could never happen to you, because we are all one financial disaster away from the curb.

Last edited by perticusrex; 12-04-2009 at 03:18 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexan View Post
We are on the same page, I wasn't taking issue with your statement. I agree with your explanation above.

I was trying to make a point that when one is experiencing a hardship, food, shelter, safety are top priorities.
We both don't like watch local news. Glad I have a comrade!
I had braces too as an adult so I'm a little on the biased side. I sidelined getting the new TV (I really did!) to pay the braces, insurance only covered a certain amount.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:15 PM

346 posts, read 778,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
We both don't like watch local news. Glad I have a comrade!
I had braces too as an adult so I'm a little on the biased side. I sidelined getting the new TV (I really did!) to pay the braces, insurance only covered a certain amount.
Sounds like you were responsible then and had your priorities in line. Glad to hear your happy and realize it was worth the effort!

Now, how to beat common sense into the rest of America...er or we can start with San Antonio??

Old 12-04-2009, 03:17 PM

5,081 posts, read 7,674,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
You wasted our time on this post because you BASICALLY, don't think we should feel sorry for their situation because they don't exemplify a true trailer park stereotype of living with nothing of value and bad teeth?

Give me a break! I have a 50 inch high defintion tv that I bought last year when I had a NICE job and some other nice things I was able to afford BACK THEN.

NOW, I'm making minimum wage because of the lack of jobs and the economy.

More than anything...this news report was just WOAI trying to "showcase" another "poor me" story.

I do agree. This family could have easily bought a $20 Walmart heater or even an working heater from a Goodwill store.

But to criticize them for having a big screen TV and for her having braces is absolutely ridiculous.

In this economy, ALL types of families are in need. The working poor and middle class are struggling respectively with bills and making ends meet.

It's not just those without braces and big screen televisions that need help.
Glad to know that I "wasted your time" enough for you to write a long rant about it.

I'll criticize all I want, thanks. When you're need, sell assets that are unnecessary before starting up the 'woe is me' stuff. I know what utilities run - unloading the TV for example would cover heat for quite a while. Just because someone buys something when times are good doesn't mean that if things turn bad they may not have to buck up and sell it too.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexan View Post
Sounds like you were responsible then and had your priorities in line. Glad to hear your happy and realize it was worth the effort!

Now, how to beat common sense into the rest of America...er or we can start with San Antonio??
Oyyy...that's the kind of campaign SA needs! I would love to start a non profit on financial education for S.A.; I would then hire fellow CD'er ashbeigh!
There's PSAs in the movie theatres right now or going to start (?) about using credit wisely.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:44 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,050,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Oyyy...that's the kind of campaign SA needs! I would love to start a non profit on financial education for S.A.; I would then hire fellow CD'er ashbeigh!
There's PSAs in the movie theatres right now or going to start (?) about using credit wisely.
2007 Food for Thought Lecture Series - Dr. Richard Butler, economics - "The Alamo Area Academics: Building a More Prosperous San Antonio" - Audio at Pluggd - Download, Listen, Share Audio and Video Clips, Shows, and Podcasts (http://www.pluggd.tv/audio/channels/2007_food_for_thought_lecture_series - broken link)

Old 12-04-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
2007 Food for Thought Lecture Series - Dr. Richard Butler, economics - "The Alamo Area Academics: Building a More Prosperous San Antonio" - Audio at Pluggd - Download, Listen, Share Audio and Video Clips, Shows, and Podcasts (http://www.pluggd.tv/audio/channels/2007_food_for_thought_lecture_series - broken link)
I'm at work right now and it's blocked but I will check it out at home. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:18 PM

8,343 posts, read 13,131,539 times
Quote:
She willingly admits that she bundles up all day and watches that TV(instead of finding a job)...poor or lazy or both?
Bingo! Did she ever consider getting a second job (or even a first one)? Getting an education? Doing something to better herself other than sitting around watching TV? No, these types want the easy way out; someone else to come to their aid instead of helping themselves.

I understand there are some people who don't have much control over their situation, or cannot help themselves; but understand that just because someone is poor doesn't mean they don't have the ability to do something about it!

By the way, I lived in a mobile home my first year of college, I couldn't afford to live anywhere else. Remember when the Challenger shuttle exploded in 1986? Temperatures in Florida were in the teens, and we (I had to have a roommate to share the costs) lost power in our trailer. I slept in an old Army mountain sleeping bag I had. During the summer, we couldn't afford to run the air conditioning; but I was willing to sacrifice comfort for the ability to get an education, and those sacrifices are still paying off.

And for those who claim there are no jobs out there, see here!

Steve Harvey nailed it when he said the best thing you can do for poor people is not to be one of them!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:44 PM

173 posts, read 401,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
You hate poor people?

My brother, I sincerely hope that you never find yourself on the street, trampled on by people who think the way you choose to. And please never think it could never happen to you, because we are all one financial disaster away from the curb.
I dont know if I believe this as much as I once did. Im 42 and have been working solid since the age of 15. I have been out of work exactly 2 weeks in all that time between jobs. In the interim, Ive held as many as 2 full time jobs and as many as 3-4 part time jobs. I currently have 1 full time and 2 part time jobs. People let pride get in the way sometimes....if I found myself out of work tomorrow, you can bet I would have *some* kind of a job by nightfall. I guarantee it. It may not be perfect, but Ill be damned if Im going to find myself living on the street when Im capable of working in some way to make a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio