U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,170,706 times

Advertisements

Congrats, majormadmax! I agree with your awesome post. I also recently returned to school and received another degree. I have busted my butt and broke my back over the years to stay afloat. Along the way, I have learned fiscal discipline and frugality.

I am happy and debt free and I don't want to hear people whining about heat in their home. They have stuff and no central heat? I have drooled over these televisions but I pass on them because I have a tv that works perfectly fine without stretching across the living room. Last night was reasonably cold, and I tucked in under extra blankets, too. WOAI has shown so many stories that are simply a waste of time and pointless.

Tricked out SUVs, big pretty TVs, fancy new cell phones, shopping carts full of stuff that isn't needed, big rims, purses, all that. Money, material, things. Eat. Drink. Buy more. Consume. Consume. Consume.

Success isn't measured by money (or the appearance of being wealthy but having $10,000 or more in credit card debt). It's measured by happiness and responsibility. Buying things on credit and knowing that you don't make enough to pay it back is stealing.

What bothers me about this thread is the defending of irresponsible fiscal behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 09:14 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,608,198 times
I think if we looked really hard at our lives, we'd all find something that could be considered "irresponsible" in the eyes of someone. For example, one person may feel that spending 200 bucks on a nice pair of dress shoes is a good move considering the people he or she may interact with. However, another person may view that same purchase as "irresponsible." After all, a pair of dress shoes from Target may look just as nice (in many ways) but cost much less.

Yes, there are folks who live according to the laws of consumerism (and define the term "reckless spender"), but there are many more who do not.

If you feel that strongly about the matter, I challenge you to do the following this Christmas season:

Spend less and give more.

Instead of buying physical gifts for someone, why not donate time or money in that person's name? I'm sure there are lots of "soup kitchens" in this area that would love either (or both). I know of a great place to start: The Strong Foundation, a "shelter" for homeless people with children. (Yes, that's right--there are a large number of "bums" who have kids trapped in the same situation as themselves...it's not all about crack pipes and alcohol, folks.)

If you have heat and your neighbor doesn't, why not offer a blanket or two? Why not buy a space heater or offer a hot meal? This year has been hard on a lot of people--let's make things a little easier for those who have been learning how to live without what we call "normal." If they caused their situation, look past it and offer a hand anyway. Chances are, they feel bad enough already.

--Dim

Old 12-05-2009, 10:40 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,634,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Local | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

I think they wouldn't have a problem with heat if they opted not to get braces as an adult, a huge grandfather clock and big flat screen TV. But hey, what do I know...
I hadn't seen the video, but it's pretty sad that WOAI would go so low to promote the idea of
"The only reason people ask for help is because they spent all their money on luxuries they can't afford and now they want us to pay for their basic necessities"

After seeing that video, you think anybody would give $1 to homeless person?
What good does WOAI do to San Antonio by showing this video?

Yes, there are people like that woman in this World
but I'm more concerned about the ones that actually need help
the ones whose children almost freeze to death every night and go to sleep without eating because there wasn't food in their house.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:20 AM

173 posts, read 539,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
You obviously know nothing about being poor smuboy86 since you live in or around the Alamo Heights area. That's far from being poor.
How can you presume to know what this person has gone through before living in the Alamo Heights area? I live in Converse..not exactly a rich area. Does that mean Im poor? False equivalence is false....

Old 12-06-2009, 11:46 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,893,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Sorry, Ya'll can judge me as much as you want, but I still feel little to no compassion for a household of TEN people that don't have their priorities straight enough to provide heat for themselves. The only people I feel sorry for are the children, to be born into that family.

Oh and StoneOak it's hard to take your chastising seriously when the only place in the whole city that appeals to you is the middle/upper middle class bubble you live in. Out of sight, out of mind I think the saying goes.

Covert - Your reply to Musicgal could have easily gone to Smuboy.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:53 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,111,521 times
Honestly, if some charity does come to the aid of these people; it might result in a backlash that donated monies are going to people who aren't deserving instead of those who are! It isn't that the people in the video can't afford heat, it is because they spent all their money on other things! This goes back to the "bad decision" analogy, which is spot on.

Dim, where I applaud your generous nature, one can also argue that for people like those in the news report, you really aren't doing them any favors. What lesson will they learn when someone comes to their rescue? That they don't have to be fiscally responsible and they will still be bailed out.

As RD and others have stated, the true victims here are the children who rely on their parents to make the smart decisions to take care of them. Unfortunately, that isn't the case, and if there is but one reason to help these people out it is for the childrens' sake.

But honestly, they could easily sell that big screen TV on Craigslist and have enough money to pay for heat; so until they exhaust all their options I for one feel no need to jump to their rescue. If they aren't willing to make a sacrifice to improve their situation, why should anyone else?

Old 12-06-2009, 01:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,331,315 times
Forget the heat not working... Someone call Suze Orman and have her do a satellite from this house in San Antonio!

She's obnoxious, but highly entertaining. She's also turning into the color of a fine leather couch from The Room Store.

BN

Old 12-06-2009, 02:09 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,634,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Honestly, if some charity does come to the aid of these people; it might result in a backlash that donated monies are going to people who aren't deserving instead of those who are!
that's why you don't just give them a $100 check,
you give them blankets, jackets, winter hats, gloves, ramen noodles, spam, etc, etc, etc.

I bet she wouldn't dare to touch spam or ramen noodles.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:09 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,608,198 times
I hear what you're saying, M2. I agree that they might consider selling some of their assets to "weather the storm." I'd certainly do the same if things were that bad for my family.

My point is, just pointing at folks like this and saying "it's their fault...let them figure it out" is pathetic.

--Dim

Old 12-06-2009, 08:29 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,147,655 times
From today's paper:

“It’s really embarrassing,” she said. “I always believed that food pantries were for people who didn’t have jobs. My husband and I both have jobs, but we’re just not making it. There’s this insecurity of, ‘Where’s the next meal coming from?’ I’ve really had to suck up my pride.”

Recession drives more to seek food handouts

I would hardly call these people good-for-nothings. They're trying and nobody has walked a mile in their shoes. He may have undiagnosed dyslexia which makes going to school difficult. She may have some issues she's dealing with from her past. (I know, I know, get over it.) Not everyone is college material. Not everyone knows that there are opportunities to take advantage of--whether it's a language issue, a reluctance to ask for help, health problems--whatever the reason, they're still human beings with the same basic needs as all of us. None of us is any better than them--we just like to think we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or