Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMCamper View Post
I have the flu or something and in dire need of some good homemade chicken soup. Can anyone recommend any restaurants that serve good chicken soup? North central area would be great. Also, does anyone have a good recipe? Thanks.
You'll think I'm off my rocker, but HEB has their own version of Campbell's Chunky Soups, and their Chicken Noodle Soup is awesome (well, for canned soup, that is).

Sometimes the soup du jour at La Madeleine is Chicken Noodle. It is delicious! Just call ahead and ask.

I have my dad's recipe for Homemade chicken noodle soup...with homemade noodles too! Great weather to make noodles--not that you feel like doing that, obviously... Hope you feel better soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 AM

206 posts, read 464,492 times
Chachos tortilla soup is good, but its more like chicken soup than tortilla soup.

I love Lulu's chicken tortilla soup. It always has big chunks of carrot, and its awesome, imho. I like to get the grilled cheese and chicken tortilla soup.

You can get either (chachos or lulu's) to go.

Also, last time I got chicken tortilla soup at Taco Cabana, it was surprisingly decent. So if you'd rather just go to the nearest taco cabana, there you go.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:13 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,572 times
Bee's on Blanco offers a very solid caldo.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM

10 posts, read 27,839 times
BEST CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP EVER!!!
The Twin Sisters (Bakery & Cafe) in Alamo Heights
Wholesome, healthy, like homemade and all around yummmy

Old 12-09-2009, 03:35 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,038 times
I love Las Palapa's Chicken soup. awesome.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
Jim's

Taco Cabana (seasonal)

Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 PM

54 posts, read 147,963 times
Whenever I get the urge for good caldo de pollo, I call ahead to Los Cocos on Bandera Road to see if they have any fresh caldo. It is very good!! Guaranteed to cure what ails you!! And their tortillas are really the bomba!!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:49 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
When I know of someone that is sick, I bee-line it to Earl Abel's and get two quarts of their fresh daily chicken and rice soup. I grab Gaterade, jello and mini bagels at HEB. Next round is my home made potato soup with home made sweet corn bread.....more jello and Gaterade. And....lots of bottled water, kleenex and Luden's throat lozenges. (the kind that aren't medicated.) Hot tea with lemon if they don't have a fever. And a little nip of brandy if they have chills.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:00 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,198 times
Torilla and caldo are good, but I believe the OP is looking for an "American" chicken soup. I don't have anywhere to suggest myself.

My fav sick soups are hot & sour, menudo and canned chicken w/stars.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 PM

54 posts, read 147,963 times
"American" chicken soup is what it is...but, it's the spices that add to the medicinal effect when it comes to caldo de pollo, or chicken soup as it's called in english. You need to have the right mix of veggies also, that helps. Potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, squash, I add cubed sweet potato to mine, rice. Those are the basics along with a juicy looking chicken!! But, the one ingredient.....the magic ingredient.....the one that will help to heal you is the epasote! You have to have that in your caldo!!! That is what gives your caldo sabor!! And if you don't feel like making your own caldo..... then go to Los Cocos on Bandera Road, close to Randys Ballroom. They have awesome caldo!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio