U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:30 AM

744 posts, read 1,074,891 times

Advertisements

Well down here it doesn't take snow to make drivers wreck. I think anyone concerned where the speed traps are may not wreck themselves but by speeding may make others drive differently to either get out of the way or distract them enough that they will crash. I was an insurance adjuster for Auto Damage and could not believe when I moved to San Antonio how many body shops were here then I drove here for a week and realized why they can all stay in business. Do not worry where the cops are to catch you, just do not speed. If you have anyone in your family that was hit or wrecked because of someone speeding you would be the first one screaming why the police had not been enforcing the speed limit through that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,954,177 times
281N and Thousand Oaks Dr.

Cops like to back up and hide in the on ramp on Thous Oaks heading South on 281N if that makes any sense. lol

Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,478,368 times
90/Acme Area and 90/Military Area. It's been constant during the weekend and yesterday too.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 AM

168 posts, read 433,577 times
Default In the end, it's always about the revenue.

In the seventies, I remember getting a ticket for doing 80 mph in a 55 mph zone on I-10 near Kerrville by the Highway Patrol. Troopers then ALWAYS gave the short civil spiel on safety, etc., etc. to deflect the notion that they were trying to generate revenue. That ticket cost me $64.00 back then.

Today, with few exceptions, I can travel that entire stretch of highway legally at the same speed, 80 mph. Thus, the question is was it safety back then or is it all about safety now? The highway has not changed in thirty years but the FINES sure have.

25 mph over the speed limit today would be a $281 ticket in San Antonio. Moreover, the city relies heavily on fine revenue from traffic, parking, and code enforcement. It's well over $10 million each fiscal year. Millions in unpaid fines go uncollected as well.

If that's not bad enough, the police fluently will write multiple tickets on one traffic stop in addition to the original offense that precipitated the officer's unwanted contact. Minor offenses like no insurance card, expired driver's license, expired safety inspection or license plates, defective lights, etc. can turn a $200 traffic stop into a $1,000 or more. If a driver is DUI, then it's a small bonus for the officer as he gets a free pass downtown for hot coffee while he oversees the offender's booking into the jail system. In an 8 hour shift, a seasoned traffic officer can easily produce $10,000 or more in fine revenue.

I am very surprised that there aren't hundreds of speed traps all over this city. The most probable reason why there aren't is that the SAPD prefers the high traffic volume on the freeways yet is frustrated because of the low volume of violators that can legally enjoy the now higher speed limits with impunity.

When the speed limit was 55 mph, speed traps were a real cash cow. In the 70's, SELMA Texas was notorious for their around-the-clock speed traps where hundreds of tickets were written for 56 mph in a 55 mph. 60 minutes did a series on this town and found that almost the entire city budget consisted of traffic fine revenue.

City of San Antonio Municipal Court Traffic Fines

Old 12-15-2009, 11:21 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,016,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessHomeowner View Post
I love scenario logic! Let's make a new law: Those that have had an accident on the interstate or major road are no longer allowed to access the interstate. We can just put up toll booths with EZpass lanes that only allow non-idiots with the proper passes on our main thoroughfares. Perhaps a good experiment would then be to allow those on the interstate to travel at self regulated "safe and prudent" speeds to discern between ignorant drivers and speeders. It's fun to dream.

I'm moving from Vermont to Texas in the Spring. However, over the past week the first blankets of snow are finally being laid down here and the dummies are showing their true colors...in the snow...can't stop at the speed they're traveling and BLAM. The funny/ironic part here is they aren't speeding, just dumb.

There's no mistake. Speed limits were made for the dummies...and it's too bad the dummies don't abide by them. It makes us good speeders look bad!

-Driving for 20 years with one collision...at 5mph. Someone stopped in front of me, at a green light.

why would a toll booth be on an interstate? Most of them are Federally founded aren't they?

Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 PM

410 posts, read 809,310 times
281 North and Nakoma. Just like eger indicated, police car will back up and wait on other side of ramp.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,222,901 times
Speed limit on the I-35 access roads in Selma is strictly enforced. I know a couple of people who found that out the hard way.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:58 PM

348 posts, read 1,427,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post

There was a previous post in an older thread that mentioned IH 10 in the DeZavala - 1604 area. Patrol cars were seen stopped on the bridge by Cosco and it was thought they were clocking speeders and sending the info to the cops staked out on the freeway. I've seen them out there a couple of times, too.

Multiple times I have seen them sitting on the bridge and at least three or even four patrol cars would be pulling people over one right after the other.

Next......here's your ky cause you just got $#^cked

Old 12-15-2009, 02:02 PM

777 posts, read 1,440,913 times
W Cevallos street downtown at Flores st.
if work/live downtown you may come across this intersection.

there's a small Catholic school right at the intersection of these streets.
there is a school zone speed limit sign, but you have to look for it since it has no "yellow flashing" lights.

several of my co-workers have been pulled over here. I witnessed the car behind me get pulled over yesterday. the cop was just leaning on his bike. he casually got up, walked to the middle of the street and signaled the car to pull over.

I know it's a school zone, but it's such a small school that it just blends in and looks like a house.
i'd say that's enough to call it a speed trap.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:16 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,326,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Speed limit on the I-35 access roads in Selma is strictly enforced. I know a couple of people who found that out the hard way.
Haha, it's even lyrics in a song....... "speed trap up ahead Selma town....."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio