U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:05 PM

65 posts, read 156,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiccaTX View Post
Agreed. Maybe they do that because then...they can. Can they give tickets for driving too slow??
I've heard reports of SAPD ticketing people recently for driving slow in the left lane. A federal report a few years ago concluded that the #1 cause of highway crashes isn't speeding, it's speed variance, which is primarily caused by slow left-lane drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:13 PM

65 posts, read 156,776 times
Default Garden Ridge

I'm amazed that Garden Ridge hasn't been mentioned! I drive Nacogdoches through Garden Ridge every day and there is always at least one cop, especially where the speed limit drops from 55 to 45 approaching FM 3009. There are usually many and it's common to see 2 or 3 people pulled over within a mile.

(BTW: A cop parked 100 yards past a drop in the speed limit is the legal definition of a "speed trap" which some states have now banned.)

I also see tons of speed traps from the Schertz and Selma PD nearby.

Another one I've noticed is the cemetery on Nacogdoches just north of 1604. At night when the gates are closed a kojak with a kodak frequently backs into the driveway.

On the 'speed kills' thing, I've lived in many states where people drive considerably faster than they do around here and where you don't see nearly as many crashes. I think the problem with San Antonio is all the morons in pickup trucks who think they're above the law and do whatever they please with no consideration to traffic laws or other drivers.

Revenue generation? Of course it is. Many localities freely admit this. Reasonable speed enforcement is necessary but only a fool would deny that overzealous enforcement is anything BUT revenue generation.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:45 AM

14,626 posts, read 31,207,708 times
Whew! At least now we know Leon Valley is NOT a speed trap, cuz the city councilman said so!

Leon Valley not a speed trap, councilman says (http://www.mysanantonio.com/community/Leon_Valley_not_a_speed_trap_councilman_says.html - broken link)

However, for your convenience, you may now pay your tickets online.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:34 PM

358 posts, read 722,702 times
I've noticed increased enforcement lately on 1604 just south of Bandera Rd where it goes from 70 to 55 right before you get to the light at Braun. Also seen a cop car on the northbound side, too. Not sure why as the speed limit increases over on that side. Maybe looking for drivers increasing speed too quickly?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,936 times
Be careful driving on Henderson Pass between Turkey Point and Gold Canyon. Lately, there have been two motorcycle policemen parked in the center turning lane just north of Turkey Point.

Also, be careful driving on 281 near Bitters. A Policeman occasionally waits on the downward part of the overpass.

I'm not saying it's ok to speed but I find myself driving slightly over the speed limit from time to time. For those of you who don't speed and have left your sassy comments above telling folks not to speed, you're probably not going to be able to convince a speeder to stop speeding entirely. This forum may at least get a speeder to slow down in these areas for fear of getting a ticket. Everyone drive safely.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:03 PM

37,948 posts, read 55,692,297 times
You can check on those things on trapster.com - Speed Trap Sharing System
or even better: be a member and contribute your knowledge.
I do.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,183,218 times
I speed, therefore I am. I don't condone speeding...it's just what I do well; along with getting stung by hordes of angry bees, falling asleep during "chick flicks", and accidentally putting the keys in the fridge.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:21 PM

522 posts, read 992,455 times
not sure if this one has been posted.

marbach between 1604 and ellison. the speed limit changes abruptly (the city/county line is there i think). see quite a few folks get busted there.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:53 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,470,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlorifiedMalcontent View Post
not sure if this one has been posted.

marbach between 1604 and ellison. the speed limit changes abruptly (the city/county line is there i think). see quite a few folks get busted there.
Good to know; I will be hopefully moving into that area soon!

Old 03-19-2010, 04:09 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,373,108 times
They were set up on the BRIDGE going over 151 at Military Drive right there where the Valero Gas station is...a guy parked his unmarked car near the gas station, was set up on the bridge with a tripod camera and was clicking away as people zoomed under the bridge headed towards 410...about 5 unmarked cars all writing tickets to those headed east on 151 from 1604 towards 410. You have been forwarned...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio