Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:41 AM

417 posts, read 982,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSunrise View Post
ChiccaTX.....speed doesn't kill.

STUPIDITY kills, no matter whether the driver is fast or slow.

In Germany, they drive fast, with a lower fatality rate per million miles driven than America. WHY? Because they follow certain RULES besides just driving fast.

It's not that simple. And responsible speeding, with responsible co-drivers on the road, will never kill anyone as much as irresponsible drivers on the road who just don't know how to drive.

Stupidity kills along with the speed. If you're going 85 miles per hour and are tailgaiting because you've swerved sideways to get into traffic because you were trying to get ahead of everyone else and find out you can't go much further in the lane you're in then a quick stop needs to be made ...BLAM accident.

Same senario..in the rain...can't stop at the speed you're traveling BLAM

We're not in Germany, do as the romans do..or leave for work early so you can FOLLOW the law and do the posted speed limit.

Do the proper speed limit, pay attention to what you're doing, don't be talking to your friend or family on the cell phone, be courteous and be aware of your surroundings. These kind of actions would eliminate speed traps.

Far better to stop someone who doesn't want to follow the rules and ticket them for speeding than call the ambulance for the people that are in need of a hospital or the morgue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiccaTX View Post
Do the proper speed limit
This works both ways.

The problem in SA is that most drivers are going too slow. If the daytime speed limit on 1604 is 70, then why are people driving 60 in the left hand lane in light traffic?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
This works both ways.

The problem in SA is that most drivers are going too slow. If the daytime speed limit on 1604 is 70, then why are people driving 60 in the left hand lane in light traffic?

Agreed. Maybe they do that because then...they can. Can they give tickets for driving too slow??

Old 12-13-2009, 11:45 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Agreed. Maybe they do that because then...they can. Can they give tickets for driving too slow??
Yes, for impeding the flow of traffic. I've never known of one being written though. I'd hope the insane old person I saw on I-35obahn north near Schertz got one. She was doing 20 or so under the speed limit and had "I DRIVE 55" written on a piece of cardboard shoved in the back window.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
LOL! As funny as that sounds, I'm sure it wasn't funny driving behind her.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:03 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Yeah she had a pretty good train of people that were stuck behind her because they couldn't make up the speed difference between her lane and the next one over quick enough to change. People causing problems like that should be taken off the road, or at least the highways.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:21 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Only an idiot would criticize driving regulations. I promise you if we did away with traffic cops, things would get ugly VERY quickly.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:21 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
I think there is an honest differece between running radar for safety reasons vs revenue generator. And it doesn't take an idiot to know the difference. When you have those big butt Taurus and Impala vehicles sitting on the inside lane of the expressways, what is that? When you have speed limits that like in Garden Ridge drop from 60 to 35 in just a few feet. What is that? I'm sure most people would like to follow the law, but when the stuff above happens.....

Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,259 times
Quote:
Stupidity kills along with the speed. If you're going 85 miles per hour and are tailgaiting because you've swerved sideways to get into traffic because you were trying to get ahead of everyone else and find out you can't go much further in the lane you're in then a quick stop needs to be made ...BLAM accident.

Same senario..in the rain...can't stop at the speed you're traveling BLAM

We're not in Germany, do as the romans do..or leave for work early so you can FOLLOW the law and do the posted speed limit.

Do the proper speed limit, pay attention to what you're doing, don't be talking to your friend or family on the cell phone, be courteous and be aware of your surroundings. These kind of actions would eliminate speed traps.

Far better to stop someone who doesn't want to follow the rules and ticket them for speeding than call the ambulance for the people that are in need of a hospital or the morgue.
I love scenario logic! Let's make a new law: Those that have had an accident on the interstate or major road are no longer allowed to access the interstate. We can just put up toll booths with EZpass lanes that only allow non-idiots with the proper passes on our main thoroughfares. Perhaps a good experiment would then be to allow those on the interstate to travel at self regulated "safe and prudent" speeds to discern between ignorant drivers and speeders. It's fun to dream.

I'm moving from Vermont to Texas in the Spring. However, over the past week the first blankets of snow are finally being laid down here and the dummies are showing their true colors...in the snow...can't stop at the speed they're traveling and BLAM. The funny/ironic part here is they aren't speeding, just dumb.

There's no mistake. Speed limits were made for the dummies...and it's too bad the dummies don't abide by them. It makes us good speeders look bad!

-Driving for 20 years with one collision...at 5mph. Someone stopped in front of me, at a green light.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessHomeowner View Post

I'm moving from Vermont to Texas in the Spring.
Well...if you move to San Antonio..take note of the places you can't "expertly" speed

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio