U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:04 AM

85 posts, read 176,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Cloverleafs are horribly outdated concepts, most modern interchange designs are diamond shaped or stacks.
Cloverleafs are usually designed for entering/exiting freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 09:47 AM

422 posts, read 1,001,807 times
I think stoppin is unnecessary but just "slow down" and let the car exiting the highway take the right of way if you are both at the same "pace". But if I am already a few seconds ahead of the other car, I would not slow down much so stop.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:19 AM

479 posts, read 650,184 times
txDOT has removed many of the yield signs on the access roads, look at 1604 E exiting to 281 as one example, others too in the area.

When you have two or three lanes of access road, the Yield signs are totally unnecessary in my opinion, I am glad to see them removed.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:26 AM

5,560 posts, read 9,232,017 times
The problem is that coming off the highway to a frontage road is and can be very dangerous. I think I read somewhere that that's where a lot of the fatalities happen. I can't find the source, though. Often times you can ram right into the driver's side.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:31 AM

554 posts, read 1,556,815 times
While people should yield at the signs on the frontage road, those exiting the highway should also abide by the speed limit signs posted at almost every freeway exiting which advise the drivers to slow down. Too often the drivers are exiting onto the frontage road at highway level speeds, instead of the decreased frontage road speeds which are posted.

If people would slow down, it would be a lot easier for the exiting traffic to yield with the frontage road traffic, and people wouldn't have to come to a dead stop in order to avoid a potential accident.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:05 PM

5,560 posts, read 9,232,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
While people should yield at the signs on the frontage road, those exiting the highway should also abide by the speed limit signs posted at almost every freeway exiting which advise the drivers to slow down. Too often the drivers are exiting onto the frontage road at highway level speeds, instead of the decreased frontage road speeds which are posted.
Great point. That is true. I often fail to slow down at times. I guess we can close this thread with the thought that everyone just needs to follow the law, be respectable to other drivers and put safety first.

Yea right! It'll be a cold day in h*ll before anyone does that, oh well

Old 05-21-2007, 01:21 PM

14,874 posts, read 22,679,309 times
The days of the frontage road yeilding to the cars exiting the highway are gone. I grew up w/ this and it was what we were taught and it was even on our drivers test w/ the DPS. I guess I still drive like it but it just seems more sensible for that to be the case. What makes it really bad is when you are exiting the highway and want to turn right at the cross street or get to the business on the corner. It's not as bad when the exit ramps are farther back but when they are literally yards from the light is when I believe most problems occur. If EVERYONE be they on the service/frontage road or the highway actually paid attention to what others were doing and those needing to manuever to change lanes used signals I think it would all flow much better. Same goes for merges. It is not neccesary to come to a complete stop as this is when those cars behind you usually wind up in an accident. If all drivers sped up to get onto the higher sped and those exiting would slow down a hair, or whatever is needed to merge w/o coming to a complete stop. Say on the cloverleafs you have the cars coming up to get on and then that same lane is the one for those needing off to exit, if you see a hole up ahead to get into then speed up and slide into it, if you see a break coming up behind a car or two then slow down a tad and if those cars are paying attention they can speed up a hair and all can merge/shift lanes w/o anyone having to slam on their brakes or tangle.

It all is not that hard to understand it just takes driving w/o blinders on to the other cars on the road around you and being a little more aware and willing to speed up or slow down to make everything flow better.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:32 PM

554 posts, read 1,556,815 times
Quote:
What makes it really bad is when you are exiting the highway and want to turn right at the cross street or get to the business on the corner. It's not as bad when the exit ramps are farther back but when they are literally yards from the light is when I believe most problems occur.
In these situations I usually just take an earlier exit. For example, if I'm trying to get to some of the businesses at 281 & Henderson Pass, I exit Donella because it is virtually impossible to get all the way over to the right to turn onto Henderson Pass or any of those businesses at the start of the shopping center.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:12 PM

422 posts, read 1,001,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
In these situations I usually just take an earlier exit. For example, if I'm trying to get to some of the businesses at 281 & Henderson Pass, I exit Donella because it is virtually impossible to get all the way over to the right to turn onto Henderson Pass or any of those businesses at the start of the shopping center.
Actually, you should not really try to make immediate right right after exiting the highway. There is a reason why there are extended double lines on the road exiting the highway, so that cars don't make a "sharp" right turn immediately. Which makes sense, you need to at least merge to the frontage/access road first, which will take a few hundred feet then be able to go to the right most lane, then be able to turn right.

TXRose is right, if you need to that, just take an ealier exit.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:24 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,853,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Okay, what's the deal with people not stopping at the YIELD sign when I'm driving off from the highway onto a frontage road? If you are on a frontage road and a car is coming off the highway onto the frontage road (like on 1604 onto the road to Spectrum club area), YOU MUST YIELD TO THE CAR COMING OFF THE HIGHWAY.

Am I wrong? Why don't people follow the yield signs anymore (wehther it be OFF or ON the highways)?

If I'm wrong, what is the proper procedure? I've been honked for yielding....
THANK YOU!! Welcome to my nightmare!! I HATE the frontage road thing....it's frigging common courtesy to yield ..but people don't. It's just like merging.....let people in for goodness sake..they are not trying to ruin your day!! (This is what I scream in the car...but that's the extent of my road rage) In California we just had exits......the frontage road thing was hard to get use to for me....I find to be very unsafe. Although I do enjoy them when the freeway is backed up because of an accident!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio