Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:49 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,833 times

Advertisements

And I agree. SA now can't even support more than two highrise condos in its core (the only one I believe is Vidorra; The Grand Hyatt is mostly a hotel). The majority is just new "lifestyle" centers (whatever that is) built along 1604.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 06:55 PM

190 posts, read 219,668 times
I'm actually disappointed with 'The Rim' at La Cantera. It was initially said to be an upscale second development and extension of La Cantera (which itself has a second phase). However, other than a few unique-to-San Antonio restaurants, I find The Rim to be yet another, not needed, bland strip center with no specialty stores - almost all of the tenants have other locations in San Antonio.

When I hear "upscale", I think trendy, expensive, stores that are not like anything else in the city. I think "upscale" in San Antonio and "upscale" in the rest of the nation are two different things.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:03 PM

The Rim is a spruced up strip center. There was a lot of hype for it before, too, but there is nothing unique about it (well, except for the LARGE parking lot). Give me La Centera any day. Just look at the anchors for The Rim:

Bass Pro Shops, Lowe’s, Bestbuy, Target, Santikos Theatre, JC Penneys

Typical (outside from Bass Pro and JC Penneys).

Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 47,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter1869 View Post
I guess I got a little confused. I was hearing that they had the potential to expand to be a 2000 room property. Thanks for clearing that up. What's the hold-up with the transfer, and what doesn't look pretty? If it is like any of the other properties Gaylord owns, it will be pretty neat!
look at the press release at GET: Summary for GAYLORD ENT CO NEW - Yahoo! Finance
but basically it is a combination of poor economical situation, overbudget on the construction of their new hotel in DC. I think they may have a little bit too much on their plate, they are quite a small company and they are trying to open a huge hotel in DC and transition a hotel. It is not a piece of cake....
Therefore they are looking for a partner. When I say it is not pretty, I am talking about the deal, I don't think it is going to be easy to find a partner in the next 90 days in this economical situation...

Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 PM

81 posts, read 218,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
We've been over this many times before - San Antonio, for it's size is a financially poor city. If you don't think it is, clearly you haven't traveled very extensively.

There is absolutely no way San Antonio could support a Victory Park area with condos starting at $400k going all the way up to over $2 million. Not to mention all those expensive shops beneath it - San Antonio didn't even have an upscale shopping center (La Cantera) until 2005.

Let's not make assertions we know are clearly defy common sense.

Individual assertions about a city's economic infrastructure are not what determines whether or not a city will get certain things. Population demographics do - the reality is that San Antonio has been slow to attract a number of high-end establishments, which has not been the case for Dallas or Houston.

An example is Eurway, which added a second location in far north Dallas before they came to San Antonio. Eurway is also in Austin and Houston, but clearly determined that the demographics of San Antonio were such that it wouldn't be successful.

Look, I'm not trying to bash San Antonio, I'm just being realistic. I've said before, referring to San Antonio as a "major" city is kind of doing it an injustice - while it may appear to be a major city on paper, it really is not. Only time will tell whether or not San Antonio will attract more business growth and development and become a hub of regional economic significance.
Eurway is garbage. I really do not see the difference between the Hyatt and a W. They are the same concept- hotel/condo- one being more modern and hip.
You talk about Victory Park....it is no different than River North; so this city can support it. The reason the Broadway took so long to put up a crane is the excavation of the underground parking. I would rather see the River center Ritz-Carlton than a W anyday. Also before La Cantera there was North Star, which was upscale shopping- Saks, Frost, Marshall Fields, Macys, Foley's.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 PM

Victory Park IS different than River North. How many highrises and upscale shops will be in River North? Could you give a list? North Star wasn't upscale like La Cantera.

And Ritz won't happen...

Old 01-28-2008, 09:03 PM

74 posts, read 239,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
And Ritz won't happen...
Ritz won't happen for what reason? Because Houston doesn't have one yet? Give me a break...

Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,000,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter1869 View Post
Ritz won't happen for what reason? Because Houston doesn't have one yet? Give me a break...
Hope you don't get negative rep like did when i said something to him.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,223 times
Quote:
But there are over 200 highrise condos. They can fit many condos in just one highrise building.
You don't say The 200 number had to just be some random number thrown out there, it does not make sense in either context considering the Alteza Condominiums (Grand Hyatt) and Vidorra alone will have nearly 300 condos.

Alteza has 147
Grand Hyatt San Antonio, San Antonio
In the Facts section

Vidorra has 150
San Antonio: Multifamily Market News (broken link)
The information is a little past midway down the page

Corey

Old 01-28-2008, 10:21 PM

81 posts, read 218,820 times
Quote:
Victory Park IS different than River North. How many highrises and upscale shops will be in River North? Could you give a list? North Star wasn't upscale like La Cantera.

And Ritz won't happen...
North Star most defiantly was upscale. There will always be something new and better; that is the point isn't it-to progress?

I don't know how many highrises or upscale shops will be in river north, but I doubt you knew how many victory park would have when it broke ground in 2004 either. Do you even know now? I do know Victory will have 4000 residence, according to their plan, while river north is projected to have 5000.

What is different about the two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio