Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:03 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,574 times

Advertisements

Dear Mayor Julian Castro:

My father and I voted for you in 2005 and we were disappointed you didn't win back then!You were very close! Fast forward to this year, I voted again for you, and you won! I mention this tidbit because I'm not just another constituent, rather I'm someone who actually supported you in your first run so you know that I have a genuine interest in seeing this city grow with you at the helm as mayor.

Mayor Castro, there's an issue regarding our beloved downtown that concerns me greatly. There's no question that downtown belongs to the citizens of San Antonio. We're from here and we love this place. That's why I am 30 years old, born and raised, and choose to live here in San Antonio more than anywhere else!

However, unfortunately, the city continues to move towards a downtown San Antonio that is more tourist friendly than local citizen friendly.

My Dad, who lives downtown, used to take us underground at Kress to grab a bite to eat, or Woolworth's across the from Alamo, or next door to the Burger King and Wendy's. Ahh...and I cannot forget about the Taco Cabana across from the now defunct Dilliard's at Rivercenter Mall. Then there was the Church's Chicken across from Frost Bank and my favorite of all...the Kmart right across from the SAPD parking lot and Bill Miller's downtown headquarters.

What has happened since these places have left? Slowly San Antonio has become an unfriendly living space for downtown residents and especially for the majority who want a basic grocery store.

Clearly, having a grocery store in downtown San Antonio is key to retaining downtown residents and attracting them at the same time. I urge you to please do everything in your power to bring an HEB to downtown. This would revitalize the local downtown resident base and make them feel more at home as opposed to an ignored resident.

Going back to the old Kmart store across from the SAPD parking lot. Doesn't this seem like the most ideal place for an HEB? It's large enough, and not right in the center of downtown but still very much a part of downtown. I think it would be perfect!

A few weeks ago, the city welcomed in the river walk museum reach extending to Pearl Brewery. It has been noted by the Express News that it is likely that more condominiums and living space will eventually develop in the Broadway area and of course throughout downtown. As more residents move in, a grocery store will eventually become a necessity.

I also urge you to talk with city leaders and encourage them to understand that both tourists and local citizens alike want regular stores and restaurants that they are “familiar” with.

Taking a walk through the city blocks downtown, it is not uncommon to see empty buildings, spaces for lease and locals wondering when they will be utilized. I am aware that many hotels continue to prop up all over downtown constantly but why not attract other regular businesses besides hotel chains and bars? Why not have a Long John's Silver, a Taco Cabana, a Church's Chicken, a Chick Fil-A, a Fred's Fish Fry, or even a Blockbuster, or a Ross store?

For many tourists, spending a hundred dollars on their family to dine on the river walk is an experience to take in, but for downtown residents it makes no sense (obviously) as it is too expensive; residents want familiar quick and easy dine in places that will not break their bank. They want to go to places to grab a bite to eat and to a grocery store to buy items so they can make breakfast, lunch or dinner as any other family would do outside of the downtown area in their suburban communities.

To end, let me say that I've always told my dad and a family friend that if they ever built an HEB downtown, I'd move downtown right away! My Dad lives at the XXXX apartments by Christus Santa Rosa hospital and a family friend lives at the XXXXXX across the street. All three of us would like a grocery store downtown, so I send this letter on behalf of them as well.

With San Antonio's downtown resident base continuing to grow, I hope in the next few years I will see that day; a day when residents downtown will finally get their dues and feel at home in a city that values not only tourists but its residents who make San Antonio a great place to live in as well.

Sincerely,
MY NAME

Last edited by xsa210tx; 06-14-2009 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 04:36 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,701 times
Well, the only way a full-scale grocery will ever be built downtown is if people like you (actually, about 10,000 people like you) move there. The idea that you'll move downtown once a grocery store is built isn't realistic. The people have to come first. The good news is that there are a number of projects that should give ample opportunity for people to move downtown. But unfortunately, it takes lots of pioneers.

And while I applaud your interest in seeing downtown improved, downtown will be a great place to live precisely because it's NOT like suburbia. The last thing we need are fast food huts and discount big box stores.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:40 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
I don't know... this Manhattan Home Depot is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/3...7807a7.jpg?v=0

Old 06-14-2009, 04:44 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,224 times
Great letter. As a life long resident myself, I would love to spend more time, or even move, downtown. I was even born on the riverwalk at the Nix. I have a feeling that they avoid fast food restaurants downtown to attract more upscale establishments to generate more $$ into the city. Hopefully more lofts and apartments (affordable) can be built downtown to create a more livable atmosphere.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:10 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,292 times
Thanks for sending a letter! Oftentimes we sit and gripe to each other, but that doesn't get anything done.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:46 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
If I may play devil's advocate, what exactly are you expecting the mayor to do? I am sure he could "encourage" HEB to build a store downtown; but they will not do so until the demographics prove that it will be a profitable endeavor. And writing on behalf of three people who are in favor of this will not generate a lot of interest. I think a survey or a petition with several hundred or even thousands of signatures in support of your proposal given to HEB directly would have more impact.

It is good to get the mayor's interest and involvement, but I honestly don't believe this is a major issue facing the city and doubt it will get much attention. We are not talking about a proposal that will generate more revenue for the city, or bring more visitors to the city; and I honestly don't think that there is a large push to get people to move downtown. San Antonio is hugely suburbanized, and the downtown section of town is focused on the tourist industry more than anything else.

I applaud your initiative, I just don't think it will garner much of a response; but I won't mind being wrong in this case...

Cheers! M2

Old 06-14-2009, 07:00 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,486 times
Do you plan on hand delivering that letter to Castro or reading it at a city council meeting? Because any other way and dude isn't reading it. Mayor's don't have time to read the countless emails they get every day.

I'm serious, give it to him in person or read it at a cc meeting.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:04 PM

111 posts, read 284,804 times
When I lived in San Jose, they had a grocery store right smack-dab in the middle of downtown. However, the only way it could survive was through a massive seven-figure grant from the city, and once that grant ran out, bye-bye grocery store (Zanotto's to close downtown San Jose store - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal:). The reason? Just not enough people lived downtown to support a full-service store.

On the other hand, there is a thriving supermarket in the middle of downtown San Diego, and it's going gangbusters because there has been a massive number of upscale apartments and condos springing up all over the downtown area over the past decade.

Doesn't matter if you plop down a grocery store or any other type of store in the middle of the city - if there's not enough foot traffic to warrant it, it's not going to survive. If you want a nice grocery market in the city center, there's gotta be the population to support it *first*. And whether or not you want to promote that, well, that's a whole 'nother kettle of worms.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:23 PM

330 posts, read 936,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I don't know... this Manhattan Home Depot is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/3...7807a7.jpg?v=0

You know rd it really is cool. All of suburbia has the typical HD's and when we heard it was coming we couldn't wait... This one has more of a designer edge to it especially for apartment living in Manhattan. They sell alot of interesting things to help you decorate and plan your spaces better. Since moving here 3yrs ago I really enjoy Riverwalk and would love to see more stores and bring back the downtown area. San Antonio's downtown has really great old world buildings with original marble and granite walls that you don't see anymore. I think a grocery store would be great idea.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,248 times
Great letter...

I think it would be great if we could get chains into downtown. They wouldn't be affecting mom and pop stores for everyday items.. because well.. there aren't any. We really need to get big box chain money back into the inner city.

Here's a typical street in the UK, full of chains.. bringing them in is what revitalized many medieval city centers:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio