Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:45 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy
There are lots of good places to camp in Texas. Do you want the mountains cause Marfa is a great place to go for that. Always cooler there! Goose ISland at the beach near Rockport, Enchanted Rock in the hill country Lake O the Pines in East Texas and plenty of places in between!

Dena
Yea!! Thanks for the tips!! I'll have to look those places up now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 03:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94
Where is a good place to camp?

What activities are you looking to do? How far do you want to travel? Where would you be coming from? There are some GREAT places to camp all over Texas. If you want more out away from the "rat race" try the backside of the Hill Country in the Texas River Region around the Frio River and Garner State Park (the largest state park and one of the nicest w/ lots of hiking trails and the river), thcrr com. There are also lots of places that have cabins scattered all around down there, some have private hot tubs on the back porch. This is about a 7-8 hour drive from the Dallas area (a lil too far for a weekend trip). If you are looking to go real soon I would not go to any of the lakes around the D/FW area as most are dry and the piers and ramps closed. If you still want to their is a nice one out on Lake Tawakoni called Thousand Trails, you can google that as they have locations all over the country. There is a place down just North of Austin that a friend went to last year and loved it. It was private and the "pool" or swimming hole was spring fed. There is camping out in Tyler at Tyler State Park (been years since I have been there). You might try looking at the State's website of state parks as this would give you their location, activities & accomodations, etc.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:36 AM

62 posts, read 458,889 times
For camping, I think the two most beautiful (for landscapes/scenery) parks in Texas haven't been mentioned yet. Bid Bend and Lost Maples. Big Bend, very rugged with actual mountains for hiking and rivers for kayaking. Lost Maples has 'almost mountains' and has the most scenic hikes in central Texas.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:15 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,730 times
I'd have to say the misconception that people have on Texas. We do not ride horses to work, nor do we need people to say, "Howdy" when we go out of state and tell people where we come from. You mention San Antonio and people tend to think it's small. It is either the 6th or 7th largest city in the US for christ sakes.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:33 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Good Hair???
Is that REAL??? I mean, is that a real name???

Old 09-01-2006, 03:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
I'd have to say the misconception that people have on Texas. We do not ride horses to work, nor do we need people to say, "Howdy" when we go out of state and tell people where we come from. You mention San Antonio and people tend to think it's small. It is either the 6th or 7th largest city in the US for christ sakes.
LOL!!! That is the truth. Back in about 1983 or 84 we went out to California for vacation. Of course we did all of the touristy stuff like Disney & Universal. At Universal on one of the tours the cute lil perky blonde guide asked where everyone was from. We were the only people from Texas. Her first question was, "Do you know J.R.?" My typical response is always, "yes, we live next door to them". This poor girl BELIEVED IT!!!!! And they call Texans "stupid" and "ignorant". hahahahaha Then everywhere we went, "do you ride a hourse to school?" (college days here). "How come your not wearing boots?" and the list goes on. If you sense the people are totally guilible it can be fun.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:27 PM

12 posts, read 79,156 times
I would change the fact that there are a bunch of fool people moving to San Antonio wanting to change it. Leave it alone. It got on just fine before everyone moved there wanting to make it just like where they moved from.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:13 AM

531 posts, read 2,074,362 times
Default Two Words

Two Words.... Property Taxes

Old 01-19-2007, 12:14 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrocarnation View Post
I would change the fact that there are a bunch of fool people moving to San Antonio wanting to change it. Leave it alone. It got on just fine before everyone moved there wanting to make it just like where they moved from.
I bet the Mexicans said the same thing back in the early 1800's. Same goes for the American Indians when people started moving west.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:12 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,938 times
Yes, property taxes...way too high! And a decent beach would be great, as South Padre, Galveston, etc. are absolutely THE pits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio