Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 AM
TJR TJR started this thread

5 posts, read 8,796 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

This Aussie is thinking of moving to SA. Am 37, married, one kid (15yo). AU is a highly multi-cultural place to live so multi-ethnic communities are no prob. We are pretty laid back, enjoy people & dinner parties, love playing cards etc, and love a nice 'stimulating' (read: intellectual) conversation.

Wondering what the economy is like in SA at this time?
Thinking of starting a business consulting & people dev company there. Is that sort of thing a 'go-er' in SA?

We LOVE older homes w/character, 60's homes (for their potential) & modern warehouse style homes as well (we don't like contemporary homes in general). Where would u suggest a nice neighborhood would be that's pretty safe? We need something under $200K as need to take care of in-laws (which will cost us). I don't mind fixing houses - have done 8 full reno's in my life thus far, what's another one (chick's rule!!).

thx heaps! Cheers, T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Come on down.....and in the words of Davy Crockett when he needed to change his life for the better in the early 1800s:

YOU ALL CAN GO TO HELL, I'M GOING TO TEXAS!

Old 12-22-2009, 03:04 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Hi there,

This Aussie is thinking of moving to SA. Am 37, married, one kid (15yo). AU is a highly multi-cultural place to live so multi-ethnic communities are no prob. We are pretty laid back, enjoy people & dinner parties, love playing cards etc, and love a nice 'stimulating' (read: intellectual) conversation.

Wondering what the economy is like in SA at this time?
Thinking of starting a business consulting & people dev company there. Is that sort of thing a 'go-er' in SA?

We LOVE older homes w/character, 60's homes (for their potential) & modern warehouse style homes as well (we don't like contemporary homes in general). Where would u suggest a nice neighborhood would be that's pretty safe? We need something under $200K as need to take care of in-laws (which will cost us). I don't mind fixing houses - have done 8 full reno's in my life thus far, what's another one (chick's rule!!).

thx heaps! Cheers, T
Here you go with a lot of information on the area. Good luck!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Do you speak Spanish?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:07 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Please note that you do not have to speak Spanish to live in San Antonio. That is FCF's idea of a joke. Or something.

But the thread he posted? That's golden - lots of great information.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:37 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
I've known a few Aussies that have lived here, mostly military liaison officers but all seem to have enjoyed it.

My wife lived in Alice Springs for years, she says that Texas is similar but obviously SA is quite a bit larger.

Still, you should be used the weather, and you almost already speak the language!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,800 times
fcf, why don't you ever expand your question? Well I know why so maybe no need to ask except to imply that you should expand on your question. You know, Do you speak Spanish? You don't have to I just like asking.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:00 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
No fear, FCF is leaving us in the beginning of the year. I think he'll be much happier where he's going, and we'll no longer have to endure his constant asking if people speak Spanish. It only propagates a false and negative stereotype of this great city, and yet it is allowed to continue...

Oh, and just to clarify; when I stated the OP "almost already (spoke) the language," I was referring to the differences in the Australian and Texan dialects. There was no comparisons with Spanish being implied...

Old 12-22-2009, 04:07 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I once worked for an Australian exchange officer and would recommend never attempting to speak Spanish with that particular accent. We had enough difficulty understanding his English and absolutely could not understand a lick of his Spanish. It was really uncomfortable when he would pop in and say something and everyone would look at him with no clue as to what he had just said. That included a mix of native Spanish speakers and native English speakers that went to school to learn Spanish.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:15 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
It's one thing to start your own business.
Another thing to come here looking for a job. Bad everywhere right now.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:24 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
Not true. You can find jobs. I've seen lots of help wanted signs in stores/restaurants/etc. Now there are people that "claim" they can't find a job, but they're either not looking any further than craigslist/newspaper, or they can't find a job that will pay them $80,000 for limited experience. I'll stop here before I go on a rant...

But you're looking to start your own business...so you'll be fine. Yes, I think your business can fly here. Just depends on how you market yourself. You also have the ability to work with folks from all over. You'll be fine and you'll enjoy it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio