U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 03:01 PM

3,219 posts, read 8,009,240 times

Advertisements

What do you miss most from Christmas when you were young that you wish you could bestow on your kids today. It seems like kids today have Christmas every weeks since they gets the latest and greatest gadget throughout the year. I personally miss the anticpationa nd the old fashion Christmas

Last edited by Bo; 12-25-2009 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread on topic for this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 03:27 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,357,274 times
might help to define old timers.

For me, Christmas requires snow since I was born and raised in Michigan. I also grew up in smaller towns and there were traditions like going to my aunt's house and walking downtown in the nice cold weather. It was a great way to burn off all that food I managed to stuff into my belly.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:36 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,175,589 times
For me it was getting the Sears and J.C. Penny's catalogs in the mail and making my Christmas list. There was no fancy smancy Internet back then.

Secondly, seeing all the Christmas shows only once before the holiday. No DVRs or even VCRs back then, you found out when the shows were on from TV Guide and you made a point to be home in front of the TV when they came on.

Lastly, not having Christmas start the second Halloween is over with...

But we didn't have snow once we moved to Florida. Christmases were like they are here.

And who are you calling an oldtimer? Dang kids, get off my yard!

Old 12-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
I just updated the title to make the thread on topic for this forum. Posts 2 and 3 were made before the title narrowed the topic to San Antonio.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:08 PM

54 posts, read 131,815 times
I miss the big Santa that was on top of Joskes, and the Fantasyland that was downstairs. My parents used to take us there and then we used to walk down to the Mexican Manhattan for crispy tacos and enchiladas. I wish I could share that with my little girl.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:08 PM

69 posts, read 156,115 times
1. I miss the bunuelos from that little market that was near downtown off Santa Rosa St.... Sort of across from the church in that area. Can't remember the name of it.

2. I miss the Christmas shows at the Arneson River Theater. My dad used to take us there and we would sit on the grassy area on a blanket.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:14 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,088,877 times
Quote:
For me it was getting the Sears and J.C. Penny's catalogs in the mail and making my Christmas list. There was no fancy smancy Internet back then.
omg! forgot about that. As for San Antonio, I yearn for the days when Albertsons was here and I could get groceries on Xmas day.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:07 PM

10,585 posts, read 12,756,857 times
Montgomery Wards at Wonderland (Crossroads). As I've said before, the ultimate Christmas store. The entire mall was nice to visit during Christmas. Plus, those kind of department stores (Sears, etc.) were more toy-oriented in the past, before the big stores like ToysR'Us came into being.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:17 PM

3,931 posts, read 4,706,789 times
It seems like Christmas was a happier event many many years ago. Yes, it bothers me how it's all about the latest tech gadget, the latest this or that...about spend, spend, spend. I miss my family sometimes. My parents passed away, many family members are pretty much scattered. Just DH and I are around the house on holidays. I am not fond of going into the city during the Thanksgiving to Christmas time. It seems too crowded, too hectic...as I get older that bothers me more, but I have to go sometimes. For me, it's not about getting stuff anymore...not that the stuff isn't nice to have, but it's not that important. I'd rather get a phone call or email or card from someone I love than a present.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:39 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,425,651 times
I would agree with Joske's downtown, that is what Christmas was all about. I am in my late 30's and it seems that Christmas in SA is not what it used to be. Thats just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or