Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:07 PM

546 posts, read 1,493,417 times

Advertisements

So the home across from us is 3100+sqft, my husband and I expected for them to have a car or two...which we would hope they would park in their drive way and not the street. Everyone on our street (culdesac) parks with their vehicles in the driveway. Very rarely will you find cars parked in the street unless its a Holiday...

These people moved in and i swear the guy was speeding down our street (which couldnt be more than the length of a football field) like a maniac..

Its annoying. I am trying to find a nice way to tell them that they should take a hint and park in the driveway thats what its there for like the rest of the neighbors.

FOrget going to the HOA apparently parking in the street is a city issue not the HOA.

Its just a shame when you have everyone else who likes to keep the subdivision uniform and neat and you get these Moderator cut: inappropriate, substitute "jerks" who have like 20 people under one roof and a parking lot of cars.

Last edited by Bo; 01-07-2010 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:27 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,391,841 times
Eggs and Urban "Art"------

Old 01-03-2010, 09:30 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,707,684 times
If they are blocking a driveway, mail box, fire hydrant or sidewalk, call 311.

Last edited by RGJ; 01-03-2010 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 PM

61,109 posts, read 85,909,223 times
I don't like to see a bunch of cars parked on the street; it looks junky. As you mentioned, occasionally is OK, but looks like they do it on the daily basis.
Here was a thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...hborhoods.html
and a link: Municode.com | Online Library (http://library7.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=11508&doc_action=whatsnew - broken link)

Sec. 19-169. Parking for certain purposes prohibited.
It shall be unlawful for any person to park unused cars in any street or public place for more than twenty-four (24) hours or at any time for purposes of storage, washing, greasing or repairing such vehicle, (except repairs necessitated by an emergency) sale, or display of advertising signs or posters fixed to such vehicle, or any trailer, semi-trailer, or house trailer, not attached to a tractor or towing vehicle. (Code 1959, § 38-84)
Those parked cars are used daily, so I guess there is no law to prevent is.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 PM

4,051 posts, read 5,611,709 times
Out here there's one older guy that parks his truck outside his gate at an angle. The corner of the back of it juts out into the street. One neighbor said he tried to talk to him, but he didn't stop doing it. Granted, it's way out in the country, but we hardly have enough room for two cars to pass as it is. I'm wondering if he wants the truck totalled so he can get another with the insurance money.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,884,541 times
If a vehicle is parked illegally, you can call the police (non-emergency number) and report it. We have bozos at the end of our street (also a cul-de-sac) that think they can park perpendicular to the curb. Well, BCSD has been out and had a talk with them. They've recently started doing it again, so I think it's time that "someone" call the BCSD again...

Otherwise, there is no ordinance either in the city or county that prevents it. The law elnina posted refers to unused (inoperable) vehicles, the police are unlikely to take action unless the tags and/or inspection is/are expired, or there are no tags on it at all.

I move my car into the street to get the Jeep out of the garage, but I don't leave it there overnight. I did with my old car, as there is no law or HOA restriction preventing it. Inasmuch as you may not like it, there is really nothing you can do and I would advise against discussing it with them. Considering the fact that you are already referring to them as [mod]orphaned[mod] I doubt the conversation would end well or that anything would change...

Last edited by Bo; 01-07-2010 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the epithet you referenced was deleted above

Old 01-04-2010, 02:54 PM

546 posts, read 1,493,417 times
i refer to them as Moderator cut: epithet because they lack care and respect for others on the street, they also have the dont care attitude. i cant wait for them to invite their 50 relatives over for a massive party i will be calling the cops like its going out of style for noise complaints. Its very rude and inconsiderate of them. I could attempt to talk to them like adults but i doubt they would know how to respond and would take it negatively. Im hoping that eventually they will default and be forced out.

Last edited by Bo; 01-07-2010 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: inappropriate

Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,707,684 times
You didn't mention whether they purchased the house or are renting the house. You might check to see and mention it to their landlord or property management company if they are renting. I think most leases contain a clause limiting the number of vehicles. www.bcad.org and search for the property owner and address.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:59 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,560,624 times
How many cars are actually parked on the street at one time? Are there really 20 people living there? I have a feeling your rant might be a bit of an exaggeration. You're already assuming that they will have wild parties with 50 attendees and you have you're phone at the ready to call the cops as soon as someone shows up. It is LEGAL to park your car on the street as long as it's parked legally. It's even legal for them to park in front of your house if they want to. Attitudes are contagious. If they catch a bad tude they may just find a new place to park. In front of your house. Apparently you recently purchased your first home. Did you live in apartments before where everyone had their own parking space? When you live in a house you own the house and yard, minus easements. You really don't have much control over what your neighbors do unless they are doing something illegal or your paying an HOA to run the neighborhood. Sometimes you can save yourself a lot of grief by just ignoring the neighbors.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:13 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,884,541 times
Renting or owning, it makes no difference....they are not doing anything wrong!

Honestly, it is a bit arrogant to expect people to conform to your wishes. How would you feel if one of your neighbors came and told you how you live? I am sure that wouldn't go over well, so why would it be alright the other way around?

And I am sure they appreciate your referring to them as 'Moderator cut: orphaned.' How do you react if someone called you that?

Sorry if that is not to your liking, but it is the ground truth and I think SnappyBob's advice is spot on...

Last edited by Bo; 01-07-2010 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the epithet you referred to was deleted in the earlier post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio