Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,617 times

Advertisements

Hi thinking of moving from the uk...One reason is my child has cystic fibrosis and I have heard that the climate in texas is dry..something that would help her. Here in the uk its damp and wet/cold.

I want to go for a holiday to Texas and check everything out. I have heard there is a good childrens hospital for cf there.

The thing is ..is where to start..I would need a rental house...in a good area close to hospital and shops etc

I am not sure how long I would be allowed to stay for ..think I was told 90 days. Would I need to take out medical insurance as someone has said my child could be entitled to E...something that covers children but I think for just a holiday and as a uk citizen I would not qualify. I home school so a good home school community would be a bonus.

Any information would be greatly recieved from a desperate mother who would love the chance to turn my childs life around for the better.

If I don't ask...I will never know..Thankyou for any replys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillytree View Post
One reason is my child has cystic fibrosis and I have heard that the climate in texas is dry..something that would help her. Here in the uk its damp and wet/cold.
Before we get specific about relocation info, I want to clear up a possible misconception you have about the weather in Texas, because it may be a dealbreaker for your move to San Antonio.

The climate in the eastern 1/2 to 2/3 Texas is humid. The closer to the coast you are, the more humid it gets. In east Texas, especially Houston and areas to its East, the humidity is so high that much of the land there is wet and swampy. Here's a link to a thread in the Texas state forum discussing humidity around the state.

In San Antonio, we routinely have summer daytime highs of 95 degrees (or 36 degrees Celsius) in the months spanning April-September. So it is likely to be what you would consider hot here for 4-6 months of the year.

The driest major city in Texas is El Paso. It's about a 10-hour drive west of San Antonio and it may be the best fit for you, weather-wise. I highly recommend checking in at the El Paso forum to get the opinion of the locals there. El Paso is unique in many ways and it has some idiosyncrasies that the folks in that forum can help you understand.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:39 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Having lived in the UK before, and been back as recently as the past year, I can tell you that in comparison the climate here will seem very dry! But Bowie was correct in stating it gets even drier as you move west. Nevada and Arizona are even drier!

As for your length of stay, being a citizen of the UK you would qualify for travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) for up to 90 days. Beyond that you would need an immigrant visa. More info is available from the US Embassy in London, and don't go to the Texas Embassy unless you are hungry as it is a restaurant!

Your standard UK health insurance won't cover you during your stay, at least according to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office...

Quote:
Medical treatment can be very expensive; there are no special arrangements for British visitors. The British Embassy and Consulates-General cannot assist you with medical expenses. You should ensure that you have comprehensive medical insurance, which includes hospital treatment and medical evacuation to the UK.
There are short-term health insurance programs, but for a short visit I don't think they would cover much or could be more than simply paying yourself. You may want to talk to your insurance provider, I don't think the NHS provides any coverage.

Of course, if you come for an extended stay that is a different ballgame, but we'll wait until you make that decision to work that out...

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
I recommend you doing as much research as possible.
I don't know what it's like in the UK, but in the US it makes a huge difference whether or not you have health insurance.

To clarify, I'm saying that based on my own experience.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
If you move here, plan on making arrangements for private medical insurance, unless insurance can be obtained through an employer. That's just the way it is, I'm afraid. But I wish you luck trying to help your child...praying that all will work out well for you both.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,617 times
Default Thankyou so so much

Thanks so much for the information..you have been a great help. Glad you told me about it been swampy and damp..that is not good. Thanks again..you are very kind to take time out to reply to me

Lillytree

Old 01-06-2010, 04:46 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
Oh dear, swampy is not a word I'd ever use to describe San Antonio. It isn't. It's actually inclined to have droughts there from time to time. Humidity can be a problem from time to time, flash floods can happen, but swamps? Never seen any!

Old 01-06-2010, 04:54 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
No one used "swampy" to describe SA. Here is what was said:

"The closer to the coast you are, the more humid it gets. In east Texas, especially Houston and areas to its East, the humidity is so high that much of the land there is wet and swampy."

Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillytree View Post
Thanks so much for the information..you have been a great help. Glad you told me about it been swampy and damp..that is not good. Thanks again..you are very kind to take time out to reply to me

Lillytree
Swampy?
I'd be happy if San Antonio was at least dark brown (humid) instead of yellow (dead grass)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio