Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:57 PM

83 posts, read 299,378 times

Advertisements

trnmeon. are you hispanic?? or something else besides white?

Old 05-22-2007, 10:40 PM

927 posts, read 1,386,879 times
Default Corporate San Antonio/America

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
Has anyone else noticed that for persons of color, career choices seem limited? No, I am not talking lower positions like janitors, food workers, and help. I am not even talking mid level management. At the top, why are few minorities reprsented? This is the case at all SA companies, and it makes me think there is something more than just "who was most qualified".

Many companies say "Oh yes, we're diverse...but then you look and see all of the "diversity" is at the bottom. When you look at the Board of Directors, CEO/CFO/COO, and other executives, they are all white.

You're telling me in a city with as many Hispanics as SA they couldn't find a few qualified for these positions? Even in the cities' richest areas like Olmos Park, Alamo Heights, The Dominion, Shavano Park, etc...there is hardly any Latino/Hispanics or other persons of color.

Is that not interesting? Hmmmmm I think there's something up.
You must be young or extremely naive to just be noticing this aspect of corporate San Antonio. And I've got news for you. It's that way across corporate America. The instances of a black or hispanic being on the board of directors or anything near the board of directors is very rare in American business. That is just the way it is and probably will be for some time. Why? Because the white male elite power structure that runs this country would not have it any other way. This is not to suggest that whites are the only biased group of people in the country. All races and creeds exhibit bias towards those of other kinds. It's just that corporate boardrooms happen to be ruled by white males. Surprised?

Old 05-22-2007, 11:39 PM

203 posts, read 560,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
Has anyone else noticed that for persons of color, career choices seem limited? No, I am not talking lower positions like janitors, food workers, and help. I am not even talking mid level management. At the top, why are few minorities reprsented? This is the case at all SA companies, and it makes me think there is something more than just "who was most qualified".

Many companies say "Oh yes, we're diverse...but then you look and see all of the "diversity" is at the bottom. When you look at the Board of Directors, CEO/CFO/COO, and other executives, they are all white.

You're telling me in a city with as many Hispanics as SA they couldn't find a few qualified for these positions? Even in the cities' richest areas like Olmos Park, Alamo Heights, The Dominion, Shavano Park, etc...there is hardly any Latino/Hispanics or other persons of color.

Is that not interesting? Hmmmmm I think there's something up.
Who Cares!! People need to work to get what they want and not use their race as a stepping stone. Maybe instead of worrying about who is in charge of all the San Antonio companies you use that time to get more educated and earn a high level position. By the way are you a member of LULAC?

Old 05-22-2007, 11:39 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,015,027 times
Ohh and I heard that ALL the US presidents have been white men! We should investigate this conspiracy... (sarcasm)

Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 AM

217 posts, read 670,055 times
I would assume that a lot of top corporate job holders in San Antonio are white/east indian, etc. because they are sent here by headquarters. That is, just like the businesses they work for, they are not native San Antonians, and do not therefore reflect local demographics.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:00 AM

370 posts, read 880,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
There are fewer White (aka Anglo Americans) Americans in Texas than there are non-white Americans. Non-white Americans represent most of Texas... that means that they are a majority. You can bend it anyway you want.

Hi,
Oh, you call 'em Anglo Americans! I've been calling them "Euro-Americans". I am 50% Euro-American and look completely white.

I always thought that "Anlgo" represented the whole WASP, (white Anglo S Protestestant) though.

It does not matter though, really, because it does give the point clearly across that you mean "white".

However, to me Anglo is closely affiliated with WASP.

Thanks,
Gen

Old 05-23-2007, 04:05 AM

370 posts, read 880,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
You must be young or extremely naive to just be noticing this aspect of corporate San Antonio. And I've got news for you. It's that way across corporate America. The instances of a black or hispanic being on the board of directors or anything near the board of directors is very rare in American business. That is just the way it is and probably will be for some time. Why? Because the white male elite power structure that runs this country would not have it any other way. This is not to suggest that whites are the only biased group of people in the country. All races and creeds exhibit bias towards those of other kinds. It's just that corporate boardrooms happen to be ruled by white males. Surprised?
Hi,
Good point to clarify.

If the OP thinks that there are *NOT* white citizens that are marginalized then the OP is really off on a limb. It is not *all* white citizens that have benefits of schooling and training and access to those corporate jobs either.

You are spot on, this is not an *all of a sudden* thing to notice either.

This is, still, the land of opportunity and while it does rarely happen-->this is the place where a person can climb several steps ahead of the chaste or level they were born into. Not that it is easy or really feasible but, BUT, here it IS possible.
Gen

Old 05-23-2007, 09:15 AM

554 posts, read 2,303,183 times
As a previous poster said, management positions of that level usually require advanced degrees. It is just within the past couple decades that you see hispanics pursuing advanced degrees at a comprable pace to white people.

It sounds like you're making an assumption, without knowing what the actual statistics are. Do you have evidence to show, for sure, that Hispanics are underrepresented in management positions in San Antonio?

Also, it seems like in San Antonio that there are a lot of Hispanic Entrepreneurs. Even if their business is smaller, I think that sometimes it is more admirable to have your own successful business. I'm in fundraising so I am frequently in contact with senior management of law firms, banks, and other high profile companies, and I work very frequently with Hispanics in these positions.

But, for what it's worth, here is a list of companies with Hispanics as the CEO/President. Who knows how many VPs, etc. are also Hispanic, since that information isn't as readily available. I got this just by looking through the Business Journal's book of lists really quick.

UT San Antonio
UT Health Science Center at San Antonio
Reyes Industries
Guerra deBerry Coody
Selrico Food
Montelongo Homes & Remodeling
La Prensa
MPR
University Health System
SAWS
Bromley Communications
Creative Civilization
GRE Creative Communications
Kell Munoz Architects
Our Lady of the Lake University
St. Mary's University
Ancira Enterprises

Old 05-23-2007, 09:22 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,965,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakssa View Post
Who Cares!! People need to work to get what they want and not use their race as a stepping stone. Maybe instead of worrying about who is in charge of all the San Antonio companies you use that time to get more educated and earn a high level position. By the way are you a member of LULAC?
yes, you are right. People do need to stop using race as a stepping stone. I worked for a co that promoted a know-nothing white male over others that had some great qualifications. Do you know why this lazy guy got to be the manager? Because his white father-in-law was VP in another dept of the co. As a result, the dept suffered greatly b/c the guy has no initiative to learn nor help us b/c he knows nothing about what we do. I suspect that this type of situation might have something to do with the lack of non-anglo people in those roles here. But lack of college degrees and adequate educational preparation also plays a significant part of it. Non-anglos have not had the generations of wealth and power that anglos have had. Many anglo (white) families have had generations of family who have attended university and have a basic "roadmap" to follow with free career advice from all of their relatives who have attended university. For mexican americans, we are fortunate if we have one generation of family who has been through that and must seek advice elsewhere if we don't. Not to mention the cost of a university education. But it's not impossible to pursue your dream (if being a CEO is what it is). From my experience, it just seems that the most productive people don't always get the big opportunities just b/c they know more, but rather the mediocre white talent that "knows" somebody.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:23 AM

554 posts, read 2,303,183 times
There was also a report in the Business Journal that UTHSCSA graduated the largest number of Hispanic Medical graduates in the U.S.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...=et77&hbx=e_du
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio