Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:01 PM

180 posts, read 119,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' The TriCities View Post
They shopped at Julian Gold. Which has some of the most heinous clothing you have ever seen. It's big on the St John's knits and those kicky fiesta-colored capri and top sets you see around Fiesta.

In our defense, we used to have Frost Bros. which really was a little slice of sartorial heaven. Then it went bankrupt and the space was taken over by Mervyns. Blegh. Also, there used to be a lot of really nice dress shops that had a lot of the boutique brands. Unfortunately most of those were family operations, and the kids didn't want to continue them.

In SA's defense, I do think most of the country dresses pretty heinously. I went to a wedding in Oklahoma where the groom changed out of his tuxedo and into overalls before the reception, and this was considered unremarkable.
I heard back in the '70's and '80's there were lots of nice shops along Broadway. When I see an attractive woman here dressed to the 9's, like you do on occassion in Heights, YOU STARE.

Even people with money here have no fashion sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:11 PM

180 posts, read 119,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert123 View Post
I could almost stand SA if there were a GLBT dinner party culture... as in wine and a dining room table (i.e., NOT a backyard, beer, gut over the belt buckle, scream at the kids breederfest).
I can relate my friend. It's like all of the women here are soooo butch. Throw on a ripped and torn t-shirt with stains and a pair of overalls or faded jeans are you're game!

And what is it about SA'ers and back yard barbecues?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:14 PM

2,267 posts, read 7,303,919 times
Please get back to the topic of the thread. This is not a chat room. If you want to chat, please use PM.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:46 AM

13 posts, read 40,747 times
Smile Thanks for all of your comments!

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their comments and suggestions about SA. We're looking to live somewhere with a nice, friendly, smaller town vibe, but with all of the amenities of a big city. We are 25 and 30, and hope to start a family within the next 3 to 4 years, and SA also sounds like a great place to raise children. Thanks so much for all of the input!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:11 PM

217 posts, read 669,024 times
SA sounds like the perfect environment for what you want to do, and what you want in a city.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:16 PM

37 posts, read 141,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' The TriCities View Post
In SA's defense, I do think most of the country dresses pretty heinously. I went to a wedding in Oklahoma where the groom changed out of his tuxedo and into overalls before the reception, and this was considered unremarkable.
ok, you said it yourself, OKLAHOMA... they are about as backwoods as it gets.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:21 PM

37 posts, read 141,576 times
Default on the topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andij1616 View Post
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their comments and suggestions about SA. We're looking to live somewhere with a nice, friendly, smaller town vibe, but with all of the amenities of a big city. We are 25 and 30, and hope to start a family within the next 3 to 4 years, and SA also sounds like a great place to raise children. Thanks so much for all of the input!
SA is great for people who want to live in a small town and supposedly great for raising a family. You get some of the big city luxuries. And I REALLY stress SOME. You would never know that San Antonio is as large and populated as it is.

Being young and wanting to raise a family kind of puts you on the fence. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:25 PM

217 posts, read 669,024 times
Yeah, you really have to rent for a while to see if you want to stay. One day things can seem kind of civilized. The next day you go to a university function and the spouse of one of your colleagues shows up in a green "John Deere" plastic mesh baseball cap, and you're the only one who bats and eye.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:52 PM

351 posts, read 1,579,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert123 View Post
Yeah, you really have to rent for a while to see if you want to stay. One day things can seem kind of civilized. The next day you go to a university function and the spouse of one of your colleagues shows up in a green "John Deere" plastic mesh baseball cap, and you're the only one who bats and eye.
Seems to me you and sous777 would be much happier in Austin.

You can look down on people and judge all you want there and act superior all you want.

What is wrong with baseball hats, mexican food, having a little bit of belly hanging over your belt, backyard Bar-B-Que's, not really CARING what other people think of the way you dress, not really caring what other people think of you about anything for that matter. San Antonians do their own thing without thoughts for people like YOU. Not everyone has an Ivy League edumacation nor do they want or need one to be happy in life. Just because you have one, you assume you are better than other people who CHOOSE to wear a baseball hat.

San Antonio IS a great place to live precisely because we San Antonians do not judge one another on the sizes of their bank accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio